• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumping fences. What do I need to swith from AMD to Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mycotopian

Jumping fences. What do I need to switch from AMD to Intel?

I am getting into ripping alot of audio and video and AMD is just not cutting it so I have decided to make the switch. I would like to convert the system listed below to an Intel 4 ghz rock solid 24/7 rig. Please give me your input on what I need to purchase to get this thing up and running.

This is what I have now:

Directron "hydraulic" case w/ Vantec Stealth 550 PSU
Abit NF7-S V2 w/ Tbred 2100+ 0302 Mobile Barton@ 2.5Ghz - 1.7v 200X12.5
WC Setup WW/2-342/MCP600/ .5"ID
Radeon 9500- 512mb HyperX 3500 - WD SE 120g HDD - Lite on 52x Burner- 16x Plextor px-712a

From what I have read I need to pickup and Intel 3.2e sl7e5 and I am still torn on the motherboard so please help me out there. I'll need to pickup the Intel mounting kit for my WW block but other than that I think I am good to go right??

Last edited:
Looks like all you would need is a motherboard, CPU and CPU waterblock. The RAM, video card and PSU and so forth will still work fine in an Intel rig. Only exception would be if you got one of the newer LGA775 CPUs and motherboards, in which case a new PCIe video card and new DDR2 RAM would be needed.

mycotopian said:
I am getting into ripping alot of audio and video and AMD is just not cutting it so I have decided to make the switch. I would like to convert the system listed below to an Intel 4 ghz rock solid 24/7 rig. Please give me your input on what I need to purchase to get this thing up and running.

This is what I have now:

Directron "hydraulic" case w/ Vantec Stealth 550 PSU
Abit NF7-S V2 w/ Tbred 2100+ 0302 Mobile Barton@ 2.5Ghz - 1.7v 200X12.5
WC Setup WW/2-342/MCP600/ .5"ID
Radeon 9500- 512mb HyperX 3500 - WD SE 120g HDD - Lite on 52x Burner- 16x Plextor px-712a

From what I have read I need to pickup and Intel 3.2e sl7e5 and I am still torn on the motherboard so please help me out there. I'll need to pickup the Intel mounting kit for my WW block but other than that I think I am good to go right??

What? You don't want your current system? If you don't like AMD anymore, I wouldn't mind having the system you have right now! Because right now, my new PC is acting up right now!!! :bang head It overheats even at 2.3 ghz!!!
:bang head Also, you require less voltage for 2.5 ghz and I can't even complete booting Windows at 2.5 ghz :(. :bang head

David said:
Looks like all you would need is a motherboard, CPU and CPU waterblock. The RAM, video card and PSU and so forth will still work fine in an Intel rig. Only exception would be if you got one of the newer LGA775 CPUs and motherboards, in which case a new PCIe video card and new DDR2 RAM would be needed.

The question is what mobo is the constant reliable 4ghz champ right now though when paired with the 3.2e?

I am actually able to reuse my WW block by the way I just need to pickup an adaptor plate

RJARRRPCGP said:
What? You don't want your current system?

My system just cant endcode and decode fast enough for me so it will become my dedicated surfer/downloader and the p4 will be my muscle.

Either the Abit IC7 series or Asus P4C800 series. But the challenge will be getting a CPU that will do 4 gig.

batboy said:
Either the Abit IC7 series or Asus P4C800 series. But the challenge will be getting a CPU that will do 4 gig.

3.9ghz will close enough for me and Abit has treated me well in th epast so I'll probably go with them.

How much of a difference in speed do you guys think I'll see going from my current amd barton at 2.5 to a p4 4ghz?

if you get a northwood (3.0c, 2.8c, 2.6c, 2.4c) get an AI7 no questions asked.

but if you get a presscott (the e series ex. 3.0e) get an IC7 or P4C800

the AI7 doesn't have the voltage problems the other two boards have, but its just lacking in kick to get a presscott to 4ghz. it will get a northwood there easy if you have a nice chip

mycotopian said:
3.9ghz will close enough for me and Abit has treated me well in th epast so I'll probably go with them.

How much of a difference in speed do you guys think I'll see going from my current amd barton at 2.5 to a p4 4ghz?

a large amount, specially when multitasking comes into play.

i noticed a diffrence in going from a a64 @ 2.5 to a p4 @ 3.9
prior to purchasing the a64 i had only built pentium rigs i ended up buying a 3.2e to play with just because i didnt like the a64 compared to my p4s performance in day to day tasks and whatnot. (course the p4 @ 3.9 beat out the a64 @ 2.5 in all the 3dmarks ive run it through so far as well. when using the same videocard/ram combos in both the p4 gets higher marks time and again)

Xenocide said:
if you get a northwood (3.0c, 2.8c, 2.6c, 2.4c) get an AI7 no questions asked.

but if you get a presscott (the e series ex. 3.0e) get an IC7 or P4C800

the AI7 doesn't have the voltage problems the other two boards have, but its just lacking in kick to get a presscott to 4ghz. it will get a northwood there easy if you have a nice chip

id ask some questions when dealing with the ai7 especially if your looking at anything beneath a 3.0. myself and others have had problems with 865 chipset based boards displaying graphic tears and artifacts with a fsb over 250mhz, i personally have had 2 ai7s go through my hands that did this out of the 3 ive used in builds.

I noticed you have KHX PC3500 RAM. Is that one stick or two? Because with Intel systems you really need two sticks to take advantage of dual channel DDR. Also, for intensive vid ripping and encoding, the more RAM you got the better. I love having 2X512 RAM.

Unless your RAM overclocks to outragious speeds, you'll probably have to use the 5:4 ratio to reach your goal with a 3.2E. Now Intel systems love the 5:4 ratio, but to make this switch worth your while you might want higher DDR speed than what this will give you. Also, Intel systems really love high FSB speeds.

Here are two options to possibly consider: 1) sell your RAM and get something that will run 1:1 at 250 FSB to better match that 3.2E or 2) keep your RAM and get a cheaper 2.8E instead and go for high FSB. Even with the 5:4 ratio, you'll be at DDR434 even if you "only" hit 3.8 gig. I bet that would match the performance of a 3.2E at 3.9 to 4.0 gig.

I know 2.8E at 3.8 gig don't sound as impressive as a 3.2E at 4 gig, but the higher FSB of the 2.8E will really make a difference. Personally, I like your idea of the 3.2E D0 stepping since it's a good overclocker, so I might be inclined to get different RAM if I were doing this. Maybe your RAM is BH-5 stuff that will do 250 FSB, I don't know... good luck.

Last edited:
I am starting to lean towards getting the 3.2E and an IC7 so I guess I'll pickup some newer faster ram but thats gonna set me back another $250 or so for 2x512mb that I can run in Dual Channel. Unless you guys can recommend some cost efficient ram that I can run 1:1 in this setup

Thats nice stuff, most of it hits 280FSB on only 2.9v, just make sure at the bottom you choose adata and not standard hyperam

Well then the my KHX is goin up in the classifieds as we speak. 4ghz here I come :) thanks for all your help guys?

I am going today to pickup a raincheck for the fry's $189 combo and I'll switch the mobo for an IC7 when I come back to pick it up. I am in process of selling my memory for the Komusa and I am trying to track down the Intel adaptor for my waterblock so hopefully by next month I will have

Abit IC7
3.2e watercooled @4GHZ
1GB Komusa ddr 4200

I'll post updates when I get it all assembled. Thanks guys

hawtrawkr said:
a large amount, specially when multitasking comes into play.

i noticed a diffrence in going from a a64 @ 2.5 to a p4 @ 3.9
prior to purchasing the a64 i had only built pentium rigs i ended up buying a 3.2e to play with just because i didnt like the a64 compared to my p4s performance in day to day tasks and whatnot. (course the p4 @ 3.9 beat out the a64 @ 2.5 in all the 3dmarks ive run it through so far as well. when using the same videocard/ram combos in both the p4 gets higher marks time and again)

Hey - off topic but i was wondering if you could give me some more info on this as I'm currently deciding whether to go for a 64bit rig (amd) or the new emt pressie. (currently love my p4 rig - but the 64's seem to be coming out on top)

Back