• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just removed the IHS from my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's the highest I've taken it, temps are starting to become a pain so I think this is the end of the road. It was a crappy clocker and hot runner to start with, so I don't think this is the end-all to delidding CPUs ;) The voltage isn't too bad, its just its running hot :screwy:

Attachments

• nakedone.JPG
    nakedone.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 394
Here's the highest I've taken it, temps are starting to become a pain so I think this is the end of the road. It was a crappy clocker and hot runner to start with, so I don't think this is the end-all to delidding CPUs ;) The voltage isn't too bad, its just its running hot :screwy:
That solder joint between the core and IHS being metal, might just be the optimum thermal design after all. Intel went into the C2 design process with thermal issues being at the top of the list. They learned quite a bit about thermal heat transfer as they struggled with those PressHotts.

Maybe I missed something but how did you "un solder" the chips from the IHS? I can see where by cutting around the dies does reduce some risk as you can damage capacitors when cutting the epoxy seal around the IHS holding it to the CPU's PCB but did you still need to heat the IHS to remove it from the dies? Also I think you should take a small sheet of glass with some thermal paste or ink and put a little bit on each die then press it to the glass and take pictures. That should give a good idea of the contact now being made.

Back