• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7T266 Pro2 chipset: fan or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
freshy98 said:
I was wondering. Since most chipsets from VIA have a cooler on it, should I put on a new heatsink fan on mine too to achive higher OC?

Yes, whenever you raise the FSB, the northbridge gets hot.

The people on the forum are here to help you but if you rub them the wrong way there not gonna want to help you. Trancebear has been working with many MSI boards and is very knowledgable on many different topics. That might be the last person you want to **** on.
Usually if the person doesnt respond to the question correctly its because you didnt ask the right question.
Anyway yeah its worth investing 4 dollars to save your board. I dont think you need to switch the HS but definitely get a fan.

ok so I apology. I'm sorry. But what's an answer saying "if it gets hot, cool it"?

doens't it seem logical that when I ask when almost every mobo with a VIA chipset has a HSF and I wan't to overclock further than I already have it is wise to cool the northbridge better?
Come on! such an answer I could figur out myself.

Anyways, I'll start over. I don't want to give someone a bad feeling or something.

Right now I'm overclocking very decently I think so myself, but I am wandering if the northbridge isn't holding me down.
The FSB is at 300MHz DDR at the moment and would like to get it higher.

I know most motherboard with the same northbridge do have a HSF instead of only a HS like this MSI, does this mean anything? If so, I am willing to buy a decent HSF for the northbridge.

Any thought on this?

Thanks in advance,

freshy98

I was actually looking at the northbridge HSF on my MSI mobo and it looks as if it would be hard to screw a fan on there because of the placement of the grooves. Who knows, it doesn't hurt to try.

I heard really good things about thermaltake thingys. The thingys help you get 200 more MHz when you overclock. jk.

What do you mean by thingys?

I was able to fit a small cheap fan on there with no problems!
As long as the fan is small enough and doesnt go past the dimensions of the HS then it should be ok. I was able to mount it with all 4 screws too.

AudiMan said:
I heard really good things about thermaltake thingys. The thingys help you get 200 more MHz when you overclock. jk.

What do you mean by thingys?

I was just meaning it a bit more general. But since thermaltake makes real nice HSF's I thought I'd mention that one.

freshy98 said:
duh! offcourse the northbridge get's hot!
but my question is if it is really nescesarry, or not.

You just answered your own question. I would run a burn-in program and touch the N/B with your finger, if it is hot to the touch then you need to cool it. If not then don't. But if you plan to raise the FSB it is a good idea to cool it. Heat is the worst enemy of any O/C'er.

Back