• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8N Neo2 suffers some SERIOUS VDIMM issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
joekool81 said:
im about to order some ocz or ppxbl....i work at a computer store so i can swap the board if it blows ...i was goin to get the ocz membooster also....im assuming that the ocz willl run better with the booster...but i have some patriot bh5 now at it loves the voltages....so idunno...what do you guys think....

Well I have the PDP XBLK and it does love the voltage. Interestingly I saw someone with same memory get 289 1:1 my best is 282 2.5-4-4-10 bench stable. So good stuff

I am not sure about any of this..

But I did notice that Vdimm set to 2.85v in the bios only gives me about 2.68v actual.. and this was with a psu with 3.3 rail at around 3.4v

Maybe I will check the Vdimm voltage at all Vdimm settings

q149 said:
I am not sure about any of this..

But I did notice that Vdimm set to 2.85v in the bios only gives me about 2.68v actual.. and this was with a psu with 3.3 rail at around 3.4v

Maybe I will check the Vdimm voltage at all Vdimm settings

Can I do a guess here.
In DRAM Configuration, you have RAS to CAS Delay (Trcd) at value "2"? This kinda forces "2,7V" to your memory.

What you mean my PDP memory is only getting like 2.68. Man maybe that is the problem with limit in OC. Patriot's spec sheet says DDR 533 2.85-2.95 Vdimm.

Zebbo where did you read about th Trcd setting affecting Vdimm?

sonicDivx said:
Zebbo where did you read about th Trcd setting affecting Vdimm?

I didn't read about it, I noticed it. Just get a multimeter and measure it if you don't believe. It has nothing to do, do you set your VDIMM from BIOS to 2,5 or 2,85, it is still 2,7V. Core Center reports this too. Just try for your fun to set your timings how ever you wan't and Memory Voltage anything else than 2,7V, but when you set Trcd "2" and you get back to windows, CC says your Memory Voltage is "2.70", no matter what you set from BIOS. But, get a multimeter if you don't believe.

I noticed nVidia's utility reporting 2.7v vdimm despite differing BIOS settings as well and my current memory won't give 2 Trcd the time of day, I usually have it set to 3. This problem may be more extensive than even a problem just with Trcd 2. Guess I should get out my meter too. This would account for increased vdimm setting having zero effect. Perhaps MSI is trying to protect us stupid enthusiast nuts...if so it's NOT appreciated. :)

The only thing i can say is MSI boards have buggy bios's. You knew that though. Iv'e had at least for updates in the last year (865pe).

BTW Zebbo, have you run memtest yet? Post in MSI forum as I'm not gonna check this thread here.

Yeah the bios does have a few...ummm...shall we say..."holes" in it :p, but knowledge is power my friends and threads like this that share information on these bugs will help us to work around these holes. Thanks Zebbo for picking up on this one.

Thanks TimoneX, but I'm not going to stay long in MSI forum section. I orderder that infamous DFI NForce4 SLI-DR board yesterday, should be here approx. in two weeks.

Very nice. I trust you'll keep us posted on how that performs.

Let me update this; I did same thread to MSI forums and welcomes was not warm at all.

I thought they were trying to be very helpful and Rollercam not being able to read your mind was going by what you were telling him, YOU on the other hand were being an a$$ and quite rude. And I know this from experience when you flamed me, accusing me of not reading your guide in another post. Wake up and smell the coffee and be man enough to recognize when your wrong, And you were wrong for being so rude and nasty to someone who was trying to help you with the info you gave him. And if I get banned for this so be it, who wants help or share ideas with people who are arrogant and flame people. It would be nice, like I said if you step up to the plate and be a man and accept your wrong and move forward. Hopefully we all don't get to see your immature nasty side again

Mr. Anderson said:
Let me update this; I did same thread to MSI forums and welcomes was not warm at all.

I thought they were trying to be very helpful and Rollercam not being able to read your mind was going by what you were telling him, YOU on the other hand were being an a$$ and quite rude. And I know this from experience when you flamed me, accusing me of not reading your guide in another post.
There are 2 sides to every story and I am glad you have brought yours up. I belive his flaming is unintention considering he is forign.

Btw you will never be banned for being civilized here :D

Well thank you Sen, And I do try to be civilized. And I do appreciate the great things you guys do here and do realize that there is always two sides to every story and I looked at the other side(the other post). And yes Tim your right, it wasn't a useful post and apologize I guess I was still upset for his degrading remark to me about I should have read the guide thing in my post and to see this one just set me off. I'm done, Let's move on.

Ram Timings stuff

Well here's a link to a post I have on AMD's forums.

AMD Ram Timings stuff I've learned....

I'm running into stability issues myself. A guy named HArleybro recommended Zeebo's NEO2 Guide so I've registered here and been researching. Nice forum you all have going here.

I hope that link helps you all out. I'll sum it up if you need a little preview before you go looking.

Basically AMD compys run better with a tRAS setting of 10 and a tRCD setting of 1 higher than the "manufacturer recommended". This has something to do with the fact that the Hypertransport/memcontroller is so increadibly freaking fast that DDR400 and really anything we're using today just can't really live up to the expectations of the mem controller. :D

There's also an Anandtech memory overclocking article in there that's really informative and I noted that the tRCD on all of their RAM was always set to 10. *raised eyebrow*

Last edited:
Yes I've read that anand article before. I've done quite a bit of testing on this though and without a doubt in every test I run a Tras setting of 8 is the best for me with this TCCD 437. Perhaps all the testing software is lying, but in the absence of anything definitive I'll have to stick with this. Coincidentally with my previous sticks which used Hynix chips a Tras setting of 7 seemed preferrable.

Mushkin

Did you read the mushkin article before?

And the point of that post was more about troubleshooting a problem rather than tweaking RAM. I know this is overclockers.com and all. :D Obviously there are a lot of opinions out there in internet journalism - "compy experts" and such. But I would hope the guys at Mushkin are at least engineer-internet journalists. ....well I would hope.... >.>

Bruneauinfo said:
Did you read the mushkin article before?

And the point of that post was more about troubleshooting a problem rather than tweaking RAM. I know this is overclockers.com and all. :D Obviously there are a lot of opinions out there in internet journalism - "compy experts" and such. But I would hope the guys at Mushkin are at least engineer-internet journalists. ....well I would hope.... >.>

No I did not read the Mushkin article. I did say "best" not "fastest" BTW :D Tras 8 seems to be both the fastest and most stable/compatible for me thus far.

Nice piece of information Bruneauinfo! I have that exact RAM being discussed and I have seen many a BSOD. Things are looking up though as I'm finally getting up near 2400MHz usuing my 2 newest sticks of HyperX RAM and a 166 divider.

Back