• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Keeping the water clean...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
K

Kryten

I am about to embark on my first water system, what chemicals besides water wetter will be neded to keep the nasties out of the system, I am not interested in changing the colour of the water just for the sake of it so please dont suggest dyes unless they will actually help the system.
Thanks in advance.

Are you using a water tower? or a water block?
this does make a big difference as you get some vapor from the tower and you dont want to inhale chemicals, now do you?

ok sorry for the lack of details just a regular water setup i.e resovior, radiator etc, no pelts though...

I use 85% distilled water, 10% automotive antifreeze, and 5% water wetter in my ambient temp water cooled system. I have never seen any corosion or funky stuff in the water with this formula.

As long as you are not using dissimilar metals you can use just Water Wetter and distilled water. This will cool better than a mixture that includes antifreeze.

Colin (Jun 01, 2001 09:18 p.m.):
As long as you are not using dissimilar metals you can use just Water Wetter and distilled water. This will cool better than a mixture that includes antifreeze.

Yup I am using a Swiftech MCW462 block in that system. It has an aluminim top with a copper base so the antifreeze is there for a little extra protection or it could be because of my paranoia :)

thanks for the info guys it was most helpful

...err and what if one were to employ the use of a water tower/bong? Any chems that won't evaporate and poison the overclocker?

For evaporative cooling I use water that has been filtered through a silver impregnated ceramic filter (British Berkefeld). This insures that no microbes are hanging around. I also add a few drops of product from Lifetime Solutions as little extra insurance. The Lifetime Solutions stuff is FDA approved for washing food and has kept one of my friend’s pool algae free for two years.

Back