• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kiss intel for wonderfull 8-layer northwood´s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

webwilli

Registered
finally i got a new AND good cpu. a 3.2 with 30 caps:

aep1.jpg

aep2.jpg

aep3.gif

@ default VCore. bye bye prescott...

asus p4c800-e
water
2 x 512 adata pc4000

How unstable? If its a new chip it may become stable over time. Id say that you are good for 3.9ghz :D

Also thats only 1.63vcore, you could bumb the vcore up one then you would probably have 1.66/7, and could get you stable.

I'm using water cooling too, swiftech block on both cpu and NB, I use a fish tank as water reservoir, no radiator. I found I can oc a little more with ice water mixture in the tank, well the ice does melt away rather quick, so far have not had any condensation problem.

ar7786, i hope it's not humid where you live.
i was toying with the idea of building a wc rig where the reservoir
would be a moded water cooler/dispenser, but, when i thought
about the condensation problem, had to back off.
so would very interested, if you could keep us posted about
your experiences with the current rig, especially about condensation.
tia

A lot of guys tried the 30-cap SL792 3.2Cs when they first came out and they were duds. These are EE rejects.

That being said I got one of 'em, an LxxAxx Malay that does 240 fsb or 3.84 gig at default voltage of 1.55. I'm using a Corsair HC200 so I don't know what it does on air, but then again, I quit testing at 240 fsb/1.55 volts so there may be way more headroom.

Nothing is guaranteed with overclocking. :D

The SL792 3.2Cs are impossible to find now. 'Guess Intel had to get rid of a few 3.4 reject cores early on. Most of the later pack dates I'm seeing are -WEs or -WGs.

After trying a lot of stores last weekend, I did find another SL792 from a store that had 2 left. This one is an L345Axx Malay while my first one is an L344Axx, so looking good. Not sure when I will get to test it, but it may very well be a dud. It's pretty much 50:50 at best, even if (you think) you got a special pack date. If it also turns out good I'll post back.

I also have an SL6WG, 12-cap which is not bad, but not as good as the SL792: maxes at 3.81 gig at 1.70 volts. Gets a 37 sec SuperPI 1M time running 238, 1:1, 2.5-4-3-6 with PC4000. Wait, till I put it on an Epox or AI7 with 3.2+ VDIMM and shoot for 238, 1:1, 2-2-2-5 :D.

are all d1 steppings that good? because I have a d1 2.6c that it waiting a better psu that will be here friday, and without any good cooling is hitting 3.4 stock.

My 3.0c D1 core is doing 3.85ghz on air. I have yet to put it in the phasechange yet to see what it can do because i lost the mounting bracket:mad:

Most of the D1 cores I have seen were fairly decent clockers.

betterlife18 said:
What the hell are layers? I wasn't aware that CPUs had "layers". Someone please explain... :attn:

many silicon items are made in "layers" like layers of bricks, one on top of the other - each layer contains circuitry.

corrosion231 said:
are all d1 steppings that good? because I have a d1 2.6c that it waiting a better psu that will be here friday, and without any good cooling is hitting 3.4 stock.
thats good result
it seems , all D1s are good ocers
but i think thats cose its a new stepping
simply
:)

Back