• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Knoppix, how do I move files to a different drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
I have a corrupted XP hard drive which contains photo's which need to be recovered.

I booted up with knoppix and can see the files which need to be recovered, and I can see my external hard drive (which is blank).

I cannot figure out how to move the files to the external hard drive. Any drag and drop is prevented, copy to gets an error message. I'm clearly doing something completely wrong and have no clue.

Any knoppix suggestions for this novice?

Oh sorry, read that wrong. Well if the drive is NTFS formatted, then you won't be able to write to it from within Knoppix, at least to my knowledge. What environment does Knoppix use these days? Is it still KDE? If so, look for a tool called k3b, that's a cd-writing tool.

Other than that, you'd have to format the external as FAT32 or a Linux derivative like ext3.

The blank external drive is NTFS format.

I did attempt to change the settings to make the drive writable.

Tonight I'll reformat the drive to fat32 and take another run at it.

Thank you for the great input.

NTFS is not writable under Linux. There are some ways, but only if you don't really care about the data on the NTFS partition

Ok, I formated the USB drive as FAT32.
Attached it to the problem machine.
Booted into Knoppix
My USB drive is visible on the desktop (sbd1-Konqueror)
Right click on the USB drive, properties, device, remove the read only check, permissions, mark as read and write for owner, group and others, advanced permissions, mark user, group and others as read-write and exe.
I click on the USB drive.
It opens.
Edit, create new folder, name it backup, hit ok
Error: could not make folder /mnt/sdb1/backup

What am I doing wrong?

Hmmm... I looked around a bit and found the following commands, give it a shot.

Open a terminal and type 'fdisk -l', then you will see all the existing partitions - amongst which your fat32 drive should be a part of.
Then become root, and type "mount -o rw -t vfat (device to be mounted) (mount point)"

Searched knoppix boot cd documentation to find root password..... Found nothing.

Getting a bit aggrivated. I can see and open the files but cannot get them moved out of the box. No CD writing ability, no USB drive writing ability, no FTP ability because the network connection is not configured properly.

This should be so simple, but nix does not like me :(

Last edited:
as far as I remember knoppix does not come with a root password so just type su then enter, then make a folder somewhere in the live home area with mkdir backup and then mount the usb drive to that folder

Krogen said:
# su PASSWORD

BTW, NTFS has been marked stable in recent kernels.

Stable, but not complete.

Kernel-2.6.19-rc4-mm2 said:
This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS driver.
│ The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
│ changing the file length. No file or directory creation, deletion or
│ renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be written to
│ so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot
│ be written to.
│ While we cannot guarantee that it will not damage any data, we have
│ so far not received a single report where the driver would have
│ damaged someones data so we assume it is perfectly safe to use.

For "su":
I've run accross two variations on liveCD's.
As you suggested, a null password.

If that doesn't work, try "sudo su".

I figured out the problem.

Before mounting (clicking on) the drive, right click on it and set it as writeable. Then you can drag files to it.

I was making the error of clicking on the drive then setting the properties, thus they were not being applied to the open drive.

So, you did get your files o.k. off the xp drive? I had the same problem awhile back. IIRC, I copied some files from the XP install to the knoppix Home directory, then emailed them to my Yahoo account. As I say, that was my recollection, don't recall if it was successful.

I ran into a similar problem when I first used Knoppix, I couldn't figure out or find the root password anywhere. Seemed a little odd they wouldn't include it for you. Good to see you got the problem fixed though!

Back