• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Komusa PC4200 Adata chips 301mhz 2.9v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
aldamon said:

Then how well does this memory run with tight timings? Is it even possible?

although it is designed to run hi speed with loose timings (hynix BT-d43 ) my stiks will run around 220-224 @ 2-3-3-5. but again thats not what i bought this ram for. i got it for hi fsb-memory 1-1 overcloking madness...

I've been keeping quiet on the benchmark front because I'm getting another Alby board as a warranty replacement. Mine had a serious problem suddenly with a CPU mosfet burning up :eek:

Fortunately I hadn't touched it yet with a soldering iron; I was about this close (holds fingers about 1/8 inch apart) from doing it this coming weekend now that I have all the needed parts and equipment.

I have also tested the CPU and the ram in another machine and neither seem to have suffered. The other machine was a POS and only had FSB options to like 255, of which both my CPU and ram booted right up and ran at stock voltages at 1:1 so they're not damaged :D

I should have the new board tomorrow, so I'll report back if per-chance it performs better than my previous unit. Here's hoping :D

I've been keeping quiet on the benchmark front because I'm getting another Alby board as a warranty replacement. Mine had a serious problem suddenly with a CPU mosfet burning up

What??? how in the world you do that??? Your PS is modded right?

Only had than happen on a lightning strike, yikes :cry:, on a UPS ever since :D , you get a power surge?

Actually I'm wondering about my PSU upgrade -- I checked the voltages with a brand new Fluke meter that I borrowed from my boss. The 3.3v line was precisely 3.52, my 5v line was 5.28 and my 12v line was 12.89... Obviously they are higher than stock, but they're well within the 10% tolerance that is usually communicated.

I haven't tested the PSU on another system yet, maybe it took a hit? We had a few storms here over the weekend, but all my equipment is plugged into a good surge protector and my gaming rig (the one that burned) wasn't powered on at any time during the storms. Besides all of that, we never lost any power to the house -- I'd assume it would have hit my normal firewall rig that was running if it hit my powered-off gaming rig. They're on different circuits, but :confused:

Of course the firewall rig is an old POS Pentium 166 (yes, the ORIGINAL pentium :p ) with an equally POS AT power supply. Maybe it's not near as sensitive?

Dunno, it made me sad :( I've talked to this same tech dude a few times and I even have his "home" Hotmail address. I told him if it wasn't warrantable I'd just have to go buy another one because I couldn't take the downgrade in options going to Asus or Abit or Gigabyte :p

Maybe he's biased? Or maybe it just really died? Dunno, sucked either way.

Albuquerque

Albuquerque I have some albtron questions for you? How much voltage do you think my 2.6c can handle? This board undervolt it seems and cpuz is giving these reading.

default 1.54v = between 1.472 and 1.488
+.10 = between 1.552 and 1.584
+.20 = between 1.16 and 1.648

Should I go higher or is it to risky? +.30V ?

I can get 255 fsb with .2 v to the cpu and .2v to komusa but can't get the ram to stock frequency. at 260 I locked up and that seems to be the max for the 2.6c . Any suggestions on getting this ram to stock speed or better since this board doesn't like overclocking at a 5:4 and crashes (Bios reset) when I do.:bang head

flapperhead said:

although it is designed to run hi speed with loose timings (hynix BT-d43 ) my stiks will run around 220-224 @ 2-3-3-5. but again thats not what i bought this ram for. i got it for hi fsb-memory 1-1 overcloking madness...

Too loose for my tastes. Good luck everyone.

Re: Albuquerque

fadaway0000 said:
Albuquerque I have some albtron questions for you? How much voltage do you think my 2.6c can handle? This board undervolt it seems and cpuz is giving these reading.

default 1.54v = between 1.472 and 1.488
+.10 = between 1.552 and 1.584
+.20 = between 1.16 and 1.648

Should I go higher or is it to risky? +.30V ?

I can get 255 fsb with .2 v to the cpu and .2v to komusa but can't get the ram to stock frequency. at 260 I locked up and that seems to be the max for the 2.6c . Any suggestions on getting this ram to stock speed or better since this board doesn't like overclocking at a 5:4 and crashes (Bios reset) when I do.:bang head

I can't speak to the Pro version; I have the Pro II and the voltage regulating hardware is quite different. You can certainly try the +0.30 setting, but I wouldn't advise that you keep it there. My BIOS / Motherboard Monitor reported voltages were actually lower than real life by a little bit -- I experienced very little sag even under full load when measuring with a true external digital voltmeter.

Several other components on my board are different as well, here's what I would suggest:

Keep the ram at 1:1
Adjust the timings -- at 255FSB, my ram was stable at 2.5-4-4-7 on 2.65v.
Enable PAT (Albatron calls it PEM) -- My board was perfectly stable at 255FSB at 2.5-4-4-7 while also using PAT.
Try replacing the northbridge passive cooler with an active cooler (I think the standard Pro unit uses a passive one)
Turn up the AGP voltage by one or two notches

Tinker with it... While 255FSB isn't the full speed of the ram, it had no problem belting out a ~5800mb/sec score in Sandra '04 and a screaming ~5400 read / ~2500 write score in Aida32. It actually scored better in Aida32 with the above-mentioned settings than it did at 284FSB with loose timings and PAT disabled. I also had to run up my AGP voltage by a few notches to get the board stable at VERY high FSB with the ram at 1:1.

The FedEx tracking number says I'm getting the new board today, so hopefully I can post back tonight with at least SOME news :)

last summer, b4 their pc4200 i bought 2x256 of the adata pc4000 hyperram. it runs 290+. however i would think the better adata sticks go to the pc4200. if u get some ,let us know how well it overclocks..

thats a good point. the only answer i would give is that the pc4200 is only 20.00-25.00 more and if u ever upgrade or need the extra speed it is definitely there. but u are absolutely correct, if u only need 250 or so the standard ram should be fine. oh yeah, one other point, the adata seems to get along with the various chipsets better than alot of the other ram..

edit: Im kinda curious how far the standard stuff will run..

Im kinda curious how far the standard stuff will run..

Runs 1:1 284 rock stable and posts / runs few benchies at 290 :D

Since I am out of the US at the moment I just got some Adata PC4000 based on the chips / pics everyone was posting.

My new board is here; it's memtesting right now at my previous settings of 284FSB 1:1... I have already noticed something, I needs less AGP voltage to run the newer board at this speed. I also just quickly tried a few settings, and my previous board wouldn't even post with PAT enabled over 265fsb... This one will allow me to set PAT here at 284FSB (although it's not at all stable at that speed :) )

I'm gonna let it memtest for a while tonight, and I'll do some more playing before the weekend.

just finished soldering an extra cap on my ic7, working on 2nd mod, higher agp voltage, involves cutting a trace and adding components. what a pain!i got 3 more mods left after this. I hope this stuff is worth it.

I'm a little more skiddish on voltmodding my just-replaced board. :S It'll take me a few more weeks probably to get the cajones grown back before I decide to think about it :)

KOXC2003 said:
But if i only need it to go 270 max.. probably only 265 would that be ok? "it runs 290+" Why do you suggest the pc4200 instead?

people suggest the pc4200 because it most likely gets the better ram chips, which most likely OC higher. its like P4 processors. most of them can do 3.2ghz, but the ones that cant are bound down to 3.0, 2.8, 2.6 and 2.4ghz. there is only such a market for 3.2ghz cpus, so since a lot of them can do 3.2ghz, they are still bound to the lower speed cpu's because they cant have 3000 3.2s and only 100 2.4s, the 3.2s wont sell. this is why the 2.4s OC so good, they are higher chips that are downgraded, and a 2.4 is prefered because you can get high FSB speeds.

so if you need the headroom in the future, get pay the extra $20-25 and get the pc4200 and underclock it to what you need with a bit tighter timings, and if and when you do need the extra speed, it will be there.

Back