• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT266A vs KT333

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
I need your help guys & girls. I want to be able to see the difference in performance that 1/5 divisor can offer or maybe even lose against 1/4 divisor. We are going to need just a few members that have a KT266A & a few members with KT333 MoBos. We need to keep things even so there will be a 1.4GHz limit on clockspeed but run the FSB at 133MHz, 150MHz & 166MHz. Please post your Sandra CPU, Multi-Media, Memory & 3Dmark2001SE benchmarks only. What we need to figure out is if the higher divisors give or take away performance. So it should look like;

1.4GHz
133MHz
CPU
Memory
Multi-Media
3Dmark2001SE

1.4GHz
150MHz
CPU
Memory
Multi-Media
3Dmark2001SE

1.4GHz
166MHz
CPU
Memory
Multi-Media
3Dmark2001SE

I know it’s a lot to ask but are you guys as curious as I am if this hoopla about a 1/5 divider or higher is really a large performance boost or just a minor one if the CPUs FSB turns out to be a bottle neck. Let us see if we can do this for TBs & Xps.

I'm definately on board. I have a Shuttle AK31 available to test on, and I'll have my 8K3A+ in a few days. I'd like to see if the extra $20 was worth my money. I'll be posting the benchies soon.

Here's the SiSoft Benchmarks from my friends system.

AK31a
TBird 1.4 @ 10.5X133
512 MB PC2100 (not sure of memory timings)
GF2 Pro 64 MB

SiSoft Sandra Professional
Version 2001.5.8.11

cpu benchmark

Dhrystone ALU 3932 MIPS
Whetstone FPU 1918 MFlOPS

CPU multimedia benchmark

Integer MMX Enh 7593 it/s
Floating-Point 3DNow! enh 8754 it/s

Memory Benchmark

Int ALU/RAM Bandwidth 553 MB/s
Float FPU/RAM Bandwidth 644 MB/s

unfortunately, his system wouldn't hit 150 FSB.

Last edited:
there is no meaning to upgrade from kt266a to kt333 or the future kt400 the extra perfomance is minimun since amd processors is still 266 bus. is more marketing than perfomance i think its a waste.

Gilgamesh said:
there is no meaning to upgrade from kt266a to kt333 or the future kt400 the extra perfomance is minimun since amd processors is still 266 bus. is more marketing than perfomance i think its a waste.
You can still benefit from increased bandwidth on your CPU to Northbridge & Memory performance while keeping your AGP & PCI within spec. People with components that are too sensitive to bus speed increase will be thankful for this too. While I still champion the KT266A I still want to see the benchmarks so it can prove me right or wrong. Do you have any data to prove your stand? If so post it.:beer:

Here they are on the Epox 8K3A using Samsung ram at the absolute fastest settings allowable by bios. All of the tests run at these settings.

Thanks a million silver! Now I'm extremely glad I got the 8K3A+!

Is there anyone out there with a KT266A that'll run 166 FSB? I know I've heard of some 8KHa+'s that would do it. Could we get some KT266A benchmarks at 150 and 166 FSB? That would be awesome.

Just remember to keep the clockspeed at 1.4GHz or as close to it as possible. We really cant compare bechmarks at different clockspeeds.

10.5 X 133
9.5 X 150
8.5 X166

I know a lot of you guys with KT266A MoBos hit well over 166MHz so come out & play:D

Mines does 175FSB:D:D:D

However its not workling at the mo, see my rig is on my desk waiting to tinstall my H20, because the company I ordered it form is being a pain in the a$$!

Promise I will help ASAP.

M_N

ill post my 8KHA+ benches in a few. keep in mind i cant run the crucial higher than 160, ill have to back off my timings. the increase in performance from 8KHA+ to 8K3A is neglegible, almost none. the new bios'es for the 8KHA+ keep it up with the kt333.
and the 1/5 dividers on the 8K3A are no different than the ones on my 8KHA+, they are there, but unofficial. they dont increase or decrease performance really, just allow much higher fsb's.
heres my mem at 160fsb, for some comparison, they are exactly the same as a kt333 at 160fsb, ive been through this before:

Back