• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L1 Cache why is it locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

i was talking with a friend about unlocking my chip and he told me that theres a reason it is locked. i always though it was to stop overclockers from being able to change the multiplier.

Why exactly do i want the unlock the cache? He knows alot about the architecture of the cpu and was asking me why i wanted to unlock the cache and that there must be a reason its locked not just because it stops us from chaning the multiplier.

Sense the main speed of a cpu is from the L1 Cache wouldn't it disable the cache if i unlocked it?

I always here about unlocking the chip but does anyone know why we want to unlock it? or its why just because we can overclock it farther?

thanks

Last edited:
It doesn't disable the cache if you unlock it. The cache on a modern processor runs the same speed as the processor does. The reason why they have them locked in the first place is that is the rated speed that the processor will run reliably and stable. The biggest reason why they locked them is because some people would sell them overclocked and say they were a higher chip. That way they could make more money. Some chips are tested higher but receive a lower muliplier because of demand or other things. Some people get these chips that can go pretty high thats why some people like certain steppings.

As to the reason of unlocking well myself I like to get just a little more performance out of it and I am well aware of the risks.

You can get a athlon xp 1700 stepping AGOIA and if you unlock the cpu and set multiplier 13 you have the same processor xp2100 but at half of the price.

Bull said:
It doesn't disable the cache if you unlock it. The cache on a modern processor runs the same speed as the processor does. The reason why they have them locked in the first place is that is the rated speed that the processor will run reliably and stable. The biggest reason why they locked them is because some people would sell them overclocked and say they were a higher chip. That way they could make more money. Some chips are tested higher but receive a lower muliplier because of demand or other things. Some people get these chips that can go pretty high thats why some people like certain steppings.

As to the reason of unlocking well myself I like to get just a little more performance out of it and I am well aware of the risks.

hey great thanks for that explained alot :)

Back