• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lan desktop viewer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
I saw this program running on an admin's computer at a network. Its a program that shows all the people's desktops in the network in little windows in one big window. Does anyone know of a program that does this? btw, they were using novell I don't know if these two are associated with each other.

The only software I am familiar wih that can do this is highly controversial, and could be construed as hacking and invasion of personal privacy i.e. watching someone elses desktop as they work. For that reason I don't think I can post any names or I'll violate forum policies, even if your needs are legitimate. Sorry!

Maybe someone else knows some other less controversial software that can do this?

Why don't you just as the network admin what program it was?

Anyway, there a lots of programs that could do this under a windows environment, WinXP for instance has remote monitoring built into it, PCAnywhere, VNC, Spytech etc. could all be able to do something like that, maybe not put all the desktops in a nice little window, but you get the idea. Unix/Linux also has similar functionality with the X windows.

For sure that thing is a bandwith hog, though.

vinyljunky said:
The only software I am familiar wih that can do this is highly controversial, and could be construed as hacking and invasion of personal privacy i.e. watching someone elses desktop as they work.

It might be an invasion of personal property if someone installed that on you home computer, but usually when you start working for a company you sign away your privacy rights. Plus, it's a little hard to call a company computer, company network connection, and company bandwidth "personal property".

I saw it on a teacher's computer. And I don't even know who the admin is or where they're at. I don't think they'd tell me since I'm a student. And to a school district, a student knowledgable in computer networking scares them. The platform they use is 98SE I'm pretty sure.

moorcito said:
It might be an invasion of personal property if someone installed that on you home computer, but usually when you start working for a company you sign away your privacy rights. Plus, it's a little hard to call a company computer, company network connection, and company bandwidth "personal property".

Fair point. Just to clarify, what I refer to is home computing. The software I am talking of requires the implantation of a trojan type process on the target pc(s). Hence 'controversial'.

vinyljunky said:

Fair point. Just to clarify, what I refer to is home computing. The software I am talking of requires the implantation of a trojan type process on the target pc(s). Hence 'controversial'.

Which is not what he was describing. He was describing a Network Admin tool.

I've got something, but it's not exactly a live picture, or your nor able to do stuff, just monitor, but other wise i'd say VNC or RDC.

that is a great tool...just ask who the network admiin and say you are doiing research and you were wondering what tools they use to maintain their networks...and what tools they use to monitor what individual users are doing...

if they ask why are you doing this research....tell him you are tring to create a Network Guide, or Admin Info Book....

it may seem like a lie at first but once you think about its really a good idea...then just post the info in one of the stickeys...and BAM theirs your network guide...lol

Back