• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping, and other misc ramblings of a madman.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lummoxx

Rebuilding my machine, doing, and redoing, everything from scratch.

I went through the Tips & Techniques, but couldn't find anything on how to lap my heatsink...maybe I'm just tired, and missed it, but could someone at least point me to the correct category?

I just got done tearing my machine back down to the naked motherboard. I'm wanting to connect my L1's this time, but now I'm peering at these, thinking...who the heck can do this?!? But, I'm gonna try it. Probably with the car window defogger paint...and a really, really big magnifying glass. I'm hoping for an air cooled overclock to at least 1,150.

Oh, I was cleaning the old thermal grease off the processor, using alcohol and qtips. There's still a whitish haze, especially around the bumps and such, that stick up...heh...sorry for the "technical" description. :) Will this hurt anything? And, anyone have a technique for getting the qtip "hairs" off the processor? hehe...

Amazing the amount of dust that accumulates in a case, even an "airtight" one like the Fong Kai. Need to find me a decent filter for the fan. I think I'm going to build some ducts for the fans, while I'm at it.

Wish I had a digital camera...maybe I'll just splurge and buy a cheapy, for purposes of documenting this journey.

I just hope I don't burn anything, paying for an upcoming cruise (7 days in the Carribean...heh), so the budget is tight....and I mean *tight*!

Finally, where's the best place to buy Arctic Alumnia? Compusa stinks. :/ They're trying tho...anyone elses local Comusa store have components for the "hobbyist"? :) They still don't have the tiny fans, for chipsets and stuff....naturally, since that's the one I need.

Thanks. :)

Rereading my post objectively, instead of in the spirit that I wrote it, which was just a rambling on by someone hoping to think of everything as he rebuilds his machine, and, sharing it on the board, I can see how this thread could be seen as a mis-post, and moved to the cooling forum.

For that I apologize.

I'm a little bewildered though...I didn't even get a "Moved: " in the original forum. That, and the feeling conveyed by N_D's post when it was moved, I feel slapped down.

Quite a different feeling from the way this board has been for the past year I've been around. While the desire to keep the board organized and topical is understandable, perhaps some care should be taken to not be quite so draconian in enforcement.

Again, I apologize for any wrong I may have done, in mis-posting my thread, however, if it was so wrong, that I, someone with nearly a year in being a member of this forum, with more than 100 posts, doesn't rate a "Moved: " on his thread, and a friendly, "Hey, wrong forum...it's over here now.", well, then maybe this is no longer the forum for me.

Thanks, stool, for the links, I appreciate it. :)

To la tour hearsink all you need is some 800 grit sandpaper and a erally flat surface to do it on. This is the way I ahve done it and it has worked fine for me.

Back