• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Little help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
while i have no personally experience with the DD CPX-1 pump, it seems to be able to handle simple loops. it's a good deal cheaper.

you could also look at your local fish store for pumps.

I'm looking to cool my Q8200(going to OC) for now and a i7 in the future. I was looking at the GTZ and think I will go with that one. Sadly I live in a Podunk town in the middle of the dessert we don't have a fish store.... but I bet wal-mart has them. What do I look for in a pump? something with 4Gallons/ hour

Buy the Laing MCP 655, aka the D5 basic. Don't try a fishpump pump. 4 gallons an hour is like CRAZY CRAZY slow. You need, after taking into account the hose, fittings, CPU block etc restrictions about 1 to 1.5 gallons per MINUTE for the CPU block to work effectively.

The D5 basic pumps:::: Maximum discharge ~ 317 GPH (1200 LPH)

Thats 60 gallons + an hour.

Don't try to cheap the build to much. It might not turn out well. Just save till you can do it right.

Have you thought about used?
I mean don't downsize the rad etc, if that's what your going to need. Most of my parts are used. Blocks and rads don't usually wear out, even my D5 is used (and I've been running it 24/7 for about a year.) Parts that are up to the task, that may be replaced down the road. (either with new, or a completely new setup)
This is IMO.

FWIW, I just picked up a used D5 vario for about 40 bucks off a large auction site.

Have you thought about used?
I mean don't downsize the rad etc, if that's what your going to need. Most of my parts are used. Blocks and rads don't usually wear out, even my D5 is used (and I've been running it 24/7 for about a year.) Parts that are up to the task, that may be replaced down the road. (either with new, or a completely new setup)
This is IMO.

FWIW, I just picked up a used D5 vario for about 40 bucks off a large auction site.

Are there any sites you could recommend, or do look in ebay and amazon?

The pump I got was off e-bay.

I'm not saying this is the best way to go, but used could tide you over you have the $ to get exactly what you want. That pump was advertised as having a lot of hours on it, who knows how long it will last, a week or a decade.

Besides, if you go that route, you could always re-sell the used stuff and re-coup some of the $ spent.

OK here's what I'm ordering::D I feel like it's my:bday:

1x PrimoChill UV Colored Barbed T Fitting for 1/2" ID Tubing (UV Blue)=$2.49
1x Swiftech MCP655-B Pump$65.79
1x Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Waterblock / Core i7 LGA 1366 Mounting Kit Bundle=$54.95
8x PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD Tubing (UV Blue)=$14.32
2x Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator=$99.90
4x Danger Den Fat Boy G1/4 (1/4" BSPP) Thread Fitting (1/2" OD)=$8.76
1x PrimoChill Barbed UV Colored Plug for 1/2" ID Tubing (UV Blue) $1.89
Subtotal:$248.10
Shipping: UPS Ground $11.58
Total:$259.68

I already have 4 90mm OEM mid-power fans that I'll use with the rads.

How's that sound should I make any adjustments before I place the order?

Last edited:
Looks solid.

Distilled water and a biocide? Petras PHN Nuke or a ianh silver killcoil?

Screwclamps like you use on a hose. Lowes at Nellis and Cheyanne has them cheap. As does HD at Lamb and Charelston.

One is a chemical you add to water, it's proven by thousands of worldwide watercollers.

Who cares what's in it. 4 drops into the water and your good. You can wiki the chemicals in it.

The other is a piece of silver that leaches silver ions into the water in time. Nasties can't grow in it.

One is a chemical you add to water, it's proven by thousands of worldwide watercollers.

Who cares what's in it. 4 drops into the water and your good. You can wiki the chemicals in it.

The other is a piece of silver that leaches silver ions into the water in time. Nasties can't grow in it.

What's best to use in distilled water? Petra'sTech PT Nuke Concentrated Biocide (10mL) or this one

I figure this out and I'm pushing the checkout button:D

Which one do you want to use? It don't matter. Pick one. The killcoil lasts forever, the bottle lasts forever too.

You could research this forum for a few days to make up your own mind.

OK I did it placed the order. I'll post final results when I finish the system, Thanks to every one for all your help.

Here's what I got. (same as other post but with biocide added)
Petra'sTech PT Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide (10mL)=$2.95
1x PrimoChill UV Colored Barbed T Fitting for 1/2" ID Tubing (UV Blue)=$2.49
1x Swiftech MCP655-B Pump$65.79
1x Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU Waterblock / Core i7 LGA 1366 Mounting Kit Bundle=$54.95
8x PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD Tubing (UV Blue)=$14.32
2x Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator=$99.90
4x Danger Den Fat Boy G1/4 (1/4" BSPP) Thread Fitting (1/2" OD)=$8.76
1x PrimoChill Barbed UV Colored Plug for 1/2" ID Tubing (UV Blue) $1.89
Total=$262.63

Can't believe how much money you save without a res.

I have like $45 left I was thinking of getting new fans, Would these fans work on the MCR220-QP rad that I bought? I know the size is right but the CFM is 35. Is that too low?

I would want Yate mediums on a Swiftech rad personally, but I imagine they would do fine, especially if you get 4 and push-pull the rad with those.

Tubing is not working with barbs?didint it?
1/2 OD barbs on 5/8'' OD Tubing»?

Did I screw up there?:shock: I thought that the 1/2 OD barb would go into the 7/16 ID tube. It would be a snug fit but would still work right?:eh?: If I'm wrong please advise on what size tubing I should change to. I have till monday before they ship my order.

Did I screw up there?:shock: I thought that the 1/2 OD barb would go into the 7/16 ID tube. It would be a snug fit but would still work right?:eh?: If I'm wrong please advise on what size tubing I should change to. I have till monday before they ship my order.

yes 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs = good.

5/8" tubing over 1/2" barbs will not work.

Back