• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL T-bred has no pits!!! ?!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nihili said:

As for the shims, you can bet that someone will start selling pads. In fact I think I remember seeing some somewhere already to replace ones that had fallen off.

I don't think you're right about the lack of pits though. I doubt that AMD created the pits simply to foil overclockers. Rather, I suspect the pits are a by-product of the way in which the traces are cut. The laser probably has more of an effect on the organic substrate than it did on the ceramic.

nihili

Then why do the MP's have no pits?

This picture is appearently only two weeks old and this processor is almost ready to be shipped.

================================================
Now that we got this all settled, I decided to post news here rather than start a new thread about true actual T-bred overclockings. A Japaneese newsgroup is grinding upon some of the first ever overclocked T-breds apparently.
Like I said before, you'll now have an 'standard' AIR cooled Athlon running at over 2000MHz even with the initial baby breds which defualt run at 1667MHz and a rumored 1600MHz (XP1900).

On the sad side, the T-breds wont dazzle you in overclocking but rather put a nice smile on your face. Bringing a 1.6GHz XP to 2GHz with a simple Volcano7 or SK-6 puts a smile on my face!

They hit the limitations on the XP2200 of 2.45GHz vapochilled. Just a snap under 2.5GHz.

So you see, they arnt to bad of chips, I really like the boost from the XP1900 to a potential XP2500, sweet deal. BTW, no pits on there chip BUT there chip was purple grey (T-birdy waffer look!) so we'll have to see when AMD fires em off.

AXIA

nikhsub1 said:

Then why do the MP's have no pits?

I don't know much about MP's. If they have the same organic substrate and are locked, then I guess the question would be: why do XP's have pits?

nihili

nihili said:

Given that AMD that neither AMD nor Intel have been convinced by these arguments before, I suspect they won't be convinced by them now.

nihili

Let's jsut hope they do change thier minds! :mad:

If the t-breds can easily make it to 2GHz (I don't really doubt it since the XPs can get there with effort), they'll be comparable to a NW at 2.5GHz I suppose. The thing AMD will have to compete on is pricing, since it'll be cheaper to buy a 1.6A than a t-bred at launch I'll bet.

With water, maybe 2.1GHz will be reachable. Also, I wonder how AMD will advance in the stepping department.

just a question i probably should know this

would a t-bred work on my Iwill KK266??
tho i think if i get one ill go with a epox board or sumthin with DDR

nihili said:

I don't think you're right about the lack of pits though. I doubt that AMD created the pits simply to foil overclockers. Rather, I suspect the pits are a by-product of the way in which the traces are cut...
nihili

I think AMD CREATED the pits for the sole purpose of "foiling" the OC'er! Not the other way around.

demon-eater said:
just a question i probably should know this

would a t-bred work on my Iwill KK266??
tho i think if i get one ill go with a epox board or sumthin with DDR

yes, t-breds are still socket a. So you should be able to use them with any board the XP works on(of course they'll need BIOS updates to support the new cpu's)

AudiMan said:
If they really wanted to stop OC'ing they would do like Intel does.

i heard somewere that amd promiced not to make it impossible to unlock one of their chips..... maby thats why

Gravity Man said:

MPs are ceramic, at least all the ones I've seen are.

The older MPs are, but the newer ones with the PR ratings are organic just like the XPs, only green, yet still have no pits. All MPs, organic or ceramic, come factory unlocked with their L1s connected.

I have no idea why this is. Maybe AMD figured that the risks of people remarking and overclocking MP CPUs was slim because of their target market being larger, more expensive platforms, not desktop PCs built in a shady back room by an underhanded schmuck who remarks CPUs to make a quick buck. Also the MP is more expensive to begin with so even a MP 1600+ remarked and sold as a XP 2000+ would still cost almost as much if not more.

I think it's almost universally decided that AMD does not lock their CPUs to foil us overclockers. It is to prevent mass chip remarkings/overclockings by dishonest system builders.

Back