• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual Core 1.8ghz)
Motherboard = Unsure
RAM = 8GB
PSU = 500W
Current Video Card = NVIDIA GeForce™ 7600GS with 256 MB memory

I do have room for a dual din video card

2) What is your budget? - ~$120.00

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card?

extended..as long as it lasts

4) What will the new Video Card be used for?

dual monitor support (dual dvi (dual link) is a must).
watching hd movies/netflix
zero gaming

:comp:

Hey guys im new here, i need some small tech help for a video card that will be used only for gaming only, i bought a pc that was built by someone and im a car guy i don't know much about pc's in general.

Chipset: E8500 overlocked to (3.8ghz)
Ram : 4gb forgot the brand its gold and has a "Z" on it
Motherboard (Asus) will find specs later im posting from work
GPU: GTX465 overclocked apparently
Power supply : No idea

Im having some small issues playing Battlefield 3 as the game keeps shutting down whenever it wants and i play it with "Speedfan" open and i can see the temps hit mid 80's. I currently bought 2x 23.5 monitors so sli is a must and im looking to spend about $350-400 CDN.

I'm in need of some advice after having been out of the game for a while...

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = i7 2600 (non-K)
Motherboard = Asus P8 Z68
RAM = 16gb DDR3 1333 (4x4gb)
PSU = Antec EarthWatts EA500D or PC P&C Silencer 750 something or other
Current Video Card = Onboard, lolz.
HDD = 2x500gb in raid 0

2) What is your budget?
$150 or less... Preferably closer to $110-$115
At least 3 years, probably longer knowing my hardware replacement cycle. I may buy a slightly worse card later on to use as a PPU, but this will be the primary for some time to come.
--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.
5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play.
I don't even know what games are out there any more, but I think I used to have a steam account?
Also, I'm a sucker for MMO's and knowing that both a new elder scrolls AND a starwars MMO just came out has my inner nerd a little tweaked.

EDIT: After looking at some benching comparisons over at anandtech, I'm just gonna go with the cheapest GF104 based card I can find. Should do me for a while.

Last edited:
CPU = i5 2500k
Motherboard = Asus P8z68-v
RAM = 16 gigs kingston hyperx blu
PSU = (Soon to be 850 Cosair)
Current Video Card = None

2) What is your budget? $200-$250

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 2-3 years
--- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!

5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play. TOR BF3, FPS's, RPG's masseffect 3 so on Current.

Monitor set up currently is 23.5 inch 1080p.
Plan to add a second monitor later not to span though.

Thinking between a gtx 560 ti (non 448 core) or two x-fired 6850 or 2 sli'd 550 ti's.

Just need opinions on which of the three will be smart for performance vs price

Last edited:
Any opinions on these idea. Please?

AJZ your highest performance of those will be the xfire 6850s or SLI 550tis. Two 6850s will get you to GTX580 performance levels for ~$250 as long as you're not going higher in resolution than 1920x1080.

I've never SLI'd 550tis but they should be close to the 6850s in performance, so probably about a wash between the two.

I've done 6850s and GTX460s (the V1 1GB 256bit versions), and bang for the buck wise nothing comes close. Cost would end up maybe $20-30 more than a 560ti .

Only cons are:

-Uses more power than the 560ti

-Any 2x SLI/Xfire setup can always get the microstuttering problem in some games, although I never saw it

-Some games have problems with SLI/Xfire when they first come out, but usually corrected pretty quickly.

AJZ your highest performance of those will be the xfire 6850s or SLI 550tis. Two 6850s will get you to GTX580 performance levels for ~$250 as long as you're not going higher in resolution than 1920x1080.

I've never SLI'd 550tis but they should be close to the 6850s in performance, so probably about a wash between the two.

I've done 6850s and GTX460s (the V1 1GB 256bit versions), and bang for the buck wise nothing comes close. Cost would end up maybe $20-30 more than a 560ti .

Only cons are:

-Uses more power than the 560ti

-Any 2x SLI/Xfire setup can always get the microstuttering problem in some games, although I never saw it

-Some games have problems with SLI/Xfire when they first come out, but usually corrected pretty quickly.

Thanks man, yea sounds like the 6850s are what I will do. I'll only be gaming on a 1920x1080. I may add a second display later on but not for spanning just as a second os monitor while gaming.

Thanks. I don't mind about power consumption at all I need to upgrade my psu anyways. I'm guessing my case temps will be raised with two cards though.

CPU = i7-2700k
Motherboard = MIVE-Z
RAM = 4x4GB@1600
PSU = HX850W
Current Video Card = N/A This will be a new build.

2) What is your budget? <$600
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 6+ years
4) What will the new Video Card be used for? Gaming + 3d Rendering + Video Editing + Benchmarking
5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play.

All the games? :D

So I had my heart set out on the Asus DCU ii Top 7970. I spent the last 2-3 weeks scouring the internet for every single bit of relevant information about that card. Now I find that Newegg is no longer carrying the card, Amazon is out of stock for 3-5 weeks, and everywhere else is either out of stock or $50-100 more expensive. I need this card in my hands by March 9th due to real life issues and where my shipping address is in relation to where I actually live. So, instead of doing truckloads of research in the limited time I have avalible this next week, I figured I'd ask around.

I have a habit of refusing to downgrade. I am grudgingly considering the MSI 7950 with the Twin Frozr, the EVGA GTX 580 classified edition, or just the standard Sapphire 7970 stock. Though I do have it in the back of my head that getting the 7950 or 580 would be enough of a downgrade to justify getting two of either and doing SLI/Crossfire, which would overbudget me by quite a bit but Newegg has that whole "no pay no interest for 6 months thing" and that will be enough time for me to work off the difference. xD

Thoughts?

Hi,

I recently just built a PC and didn't have the money to buy a decent graphics card at the time. I'm now looking for on in the £100ish price range, I'd say my max price would be £120.

My system specs are

CPU = i5 2500k
Motherboard = Asus P8Z68-V LX
RAM = 8g Vengeance
PSU = Corsair 600W
Current Video Card = None

2) What is your budget?
£100-£120

Probably for 2-3 years.

--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.

Currently I play Starcraft two, League of Legends and have just renewed my WoW account because I got bored.

I've been looking around, mostly on e-buyer, and looking at the prices I'm probably going to get a 550 Ti or a 560 if there is a fairly big difference in performance. Currently I'm thinking of getting the Asus GTX 550 Ti (http://www.ebuyer.com/261375-asus-g...hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-engtx550-ti-dc-di-1g) which is £100. Anybody had any experience with this GPU?

Any advice on other possibile GPUs would be appreciated.

I have a question I lost both video cards in my rig they suffered a power glitch. Both were Radeon 6850, I went to purchase new cards and found out I had to order new Radeon cards, but they had 2 GTX 550 TI. My question is will they work in my rig
CPU-AMD 1100T Black Edition
PSU- Corsair 1000W
Memory-Patriot 1333 16GB
Sound-Creative XFI Extreme
Motherboard-M4A89TD PRO/USB3

Thanks for any feed back

Last edited:
hey,
I'm building a pc w/
asus Z77-V
4gx2 GSkill 1600
corsair 850
acer 1080p (single monitor)
My budget is around $200 & it'll be used mainly for gaming .I'll keep it for years depending on prices & new technology.I play shooters: bf3,cod's,dead space,bioshocks exc.I also OC some ( I like air cooled but w/ this chip will go H2O so lite to mid OC).With my budget I am thinking either
2x 560 SE 1gb or 2x 7770 1gb or single cards 560 Ti 1gb or 6950 2gb or 7850 2gb.
What will give me the best FPS?

Hello, i am a MMORPG/FPS gamer, and atm i have 9600GT

since my card has started dyeing when it reached 105C, i thought of buying new one, this card stand out like 4 years and was pretty nice to me, no problems at all.

Now i want to buy a new gpu to perform a smooth 60fps no delay gaming for such games like Aion and upcoming GW2, BF3/MW3 at high end specs running 1920x1080
I will buy a 500W PSU and i want a card for about 200$-250$

atm my specs are: i7 920 C0 2.7ghz
ram:corsair 6gb 2ghz 3x 2gb
motherboard: gigabyte EX58-UD3R

so ty for ur help and i need some knowledge about good gpu's

Back