• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to build a new system, parts list plus questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MunkyTOS

Hey OCers,

Its about that time that I've gone from itching to scratching for new tech.

Corsair Crystal 570x chassis

EVGA GTX 1060 6gb gpu

Corsair cx-m 750w PSU

Intel i7-7700 Kaby Lake

I need assistance with motherboard, memory and SSD options. I know often times newegg and microcenter (is an option for me) have bundles that include several pieces. I found a combination that includes this motherboard but I did not understand how the setup for m.2 sata works because it makes mention of sata and pcie mode for slots 1 and 5/6. I am looking for a SSD of somewhere in the 500-1000gb range, perhaps a single small drive <120gb for system and a secondary drive for games/software. I alrady have several mechanical drives I can make use of. I will most likely opt for 16gb across 2 sticks of ram. The bundle I found had nice looking g.skill tridentz ram which had rgb coloring.

I currently have 2 monitors that I use and game at 1080p, little interest in anything above.

Any help is appreciated budget is non issue but not looking to super splurge.

That is a good choice on motherboard, good quality and well liked/reviewed.
As for SSD, I ended up with Samsung 256gb drives in all my builds and couldn't be happier. I went with 120gb drives originally, and the Samsung's are notably faster plus there's room for windows and a few large games. I typically uninstall anything I'm not currently playing, but there's still room for a couple games at a time. If you're worried, opt for the 512gb and you'll be fine. Spinner drives work well for storage (video/pics) but if you're playing games off of them then you're negating half the benefit of the SSD to begin with.
RAM sweetspot is the 3000-3200mhz range, 16gb should be good.

m.2 SATA gives the same bandwidth as using a conventional SSD SATA. Nvme solid state drives use the Pcie bus which is a much bigger pipe and won't throttle bandwidth like SATA does. Though in actual practice you may not notice any difference except in boot times. Some motherboards throttle the pcie bandwidth when using multiple nvme drives because of a limited number of lanes available on that bus. The amount of Pcie lanes available in these scenarios can also be limited by CPU architecture. Or something like that.

Thanks for the quick responses, so does m.2 sata in this motherboard mean the pcie is either used by the m.2 sata or a pci card but not both? I'm still having a hard time what the capabilities/limitations of this motherboard is.

I found this 960 evo m.2 that seems nice.

The drive you linked is a PCIe drive but if you are only using one of them I don't think it will have any negative impact on your PCI-e lanes. Even if it knocks it down from 16x to 8x you will not see difference in real world computing. Not with a GTX 1060.

Deal on 7700K open box returns at Monoprice right now for $250.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c...dium=11064683&utm_term=Slickdeals+LLC-1122587

They might not be the greatest OC'ers. You usually get about a $50 discount on a cpu\mb combo at MC. That newegg combo though looks pretty decent. The 960 evo should work great. Used a 250 in a laptop and got a 500 in my new desktop. Did get a heatsink off amazon for $10 as they can get pretty warm.

If you don't mind used you can find 980Ti's in this price range now usually. Would be much faster.

the Nvme drive is a super splurge, you will only notice the great speed at boot, but if you understand this, great, get one, I think that an m2 sata drive or 2.5 sata ssd is more than fine and any savings can be applied to a better gpu or bigger drive.
I have pcie, nvme drives in two of my highly clocked 4790K rigs, so stinking fast, I hit the button, post screen and straight into windows, no windows splash screen at all!!!! HUGE bling, buuuuuuuut, that's about it.
One of the m2 slots can be switched from sata to pcie mode so that either an M.2 sata drive or an m.2 pcie drive can be used in it, an m.2 pcie drive will not work in a standard m.2 sata port and vice, versa.
check the connectors on your monitors and the chosen card, your monitors will need to have either an hdmi port on one and a display port on the other or both will have to have display ports.
I think 2 sticks of ram leaves you in dual channel mode for the ram, I think you need 4 sticks for quad channel, I don't think that this will be an issue with gaming on a 1060 but it leaves performance on the table.
the 750 watt power supply is monster overkill, if you will not be going 1070 or up in the future, the 500 watt in your sig rig will do very nicley as sli is out of the question with a 1060, it has no sli connectors.

best of luck and give us some pics of the new rig!!!!

Yes, caddi speakes wisdom. Save by getting an m.2 SATA and put the money where it will really show, a higher end video card.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. I took a look at gtx 1070 comparisons and think I may go with that, did not have much luck looking through 980ti for purchasing so if you have a link, I would still like to check that out. The link to the kaby lake monoprice shows out of stock but I dont think I would feel comfortable purchasing an open box CPU. Its still a rough list and at the moment looking through microcenter to compare prices and find a cpu + motherboard combo. It looks like their locked i7s are $280 and can possibly save another 40-50 from bundling and getting the motherboard there as well, or similar.

If you want a 980ti it would be used. Can check forums here or some of the other big PC forums but your pretty much looking at Ebay to find one. A 1070 though would end up being a better choice but will cost you a good bit more.

I shall check that site out thanks and ahh i see, i probably would not want to buy used. I dont particularly like putting anything used into a machine unless its something I'm taking from another system.

The bit coin miners have scarfed up certain video cards in large numbers in recent weeks that has created shortages and driven up prices.

Im surprised mining is still profitable, I saw a news article something about a 747 and video cards haha.

One of the Asian countries, Japan I think, made some kind of bitcoin valuation change or something that breathed new life into mining earlier this summer. I don't under stand how all that works. I just know it sent demand for some video card models (especially AMD ones) thru the roof. And there was a trickle down as it pushed demand for other models that were still available.

Last edited:
I heard some story about an area that was purchased by a major company that provided free electricity to all of the residents that were relocated next to the area.

Figured I would bump this thread rather than make a new one. Financial responsibility restricts me at this time from making a purchase on an entirely new pc :bang head however I would still like to invest money into my current PC where possible and sensible. In one of my games (Ark Survival Evolved) i've been getting a fair amount of issues with the game locking up for multiple seconds and then returning to normal so I was thinking maybe the GPU would be a good thing to upgrade. I've been looking at the gtx 1060 6gb cards but with the fluctuations i've seen in GPU pricing and not quite knowing where the gtx 770 that i have truly stacks up, i'm not sure where the line of worthwhile cards vs non is.

Is your 4670k overclocked? 4.5 on a decent air cooler should be pretty easy with less than 1.3v . Mine did 4.2 on the stock hsf .
In the 4.5-4.8 rang it keeps up to Kabbylake with in 5-10 fps . Thats where I would start .

The 1060 is about two times faster than your 770gtx
Here is a review gamers nexus did on the two

Its currently at stock settings. The evga hadron is pretty tight for airflow and ambient where i live can get pretty warm in my room. This is the cooler that I use.

Back