• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lower RAM voltage to decrease CPU temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You may also want to change your LLC off of auto as it seems to be causing your vcore to fluctuate slightly.

Please also can you include a shot of the cpuz main tab and the cpuz memory tab in future screenshots.

I am with Earthdog on this one: 2 unrelated things that should not have any impact on each other.

Did you redo the operation a few times? To make sure it is not a matter of ambient temp, or just a couple of random temp peaks that occured?

Yes i did try it different times in different ambient conditions. Ambient temperature cant wary this much during 10 min of testing. All i did change values stress for 3 min change values stress for 3 min. You dont need long stress to see this huge difference between temperatures.

- - - Updated - - -

So are each of your individual Core Temps all 5c lower or just your Package Temp?

Did u check pictures from OP?

- - - Updated - - -

You may also want to change your LLC off of auto as it seems to be causing your vcore to fluctuate slightly.

Please also can you include a shot of the cpuz main tab and the cpuz memory tab in future screenshots.

Well i had LLC level 4 (medium (50%)) all the time. I will post screens shorty

Last edited:
Well i doubt somebody will point on what can be happening, so i guess i will use lower voltage on RAM to decrease temperature and go for 4.8 using my 212 evo. :D Just the most important thing for me is that system remain stable all the time. And my fear is that system is stable during stress test like IBT and then i will have decreased performance in games without knowing it. So mainly i wanted to be sure that it wont happen if i lower RAM voltage.

No I hadn't I was running out the door sorry. Did just now. Reason I asked is cuz some software reads differently. Have a look at my screenshot I just took of mine. It's weird, my idle package temp is always about 25c higher than my highest core temp but under load it's less than 10c higher. Then I have a Motherboard temp that reads 3c at all times. But every piece of software seems to read my core temps the same so I go off it.

Screenshot (75).png

No I hadn't I was running out the door sorry. Did just now. Reason I asked is cuz some software reads differently. Have a look at my screenshot I just took of mine. It's weird, my idle package temp is always about 25c higher than my highest core temp but under load it's less than 10c higher.

View attachment 187611

My man, i said it couple of times and gave example of which temperature monitoring softwares i used to test :) Sadly i cant explain why u have package temperature like that, u can try Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) which i believe supposed to show right temperatures. Good luck

Only thing I can see that may possibly have something to do with it is that your timings seem pretty relaxed. I run mine at 16-16-16-36 for 3333MHz. And I know more aggressive timings usually take more voltage. Maybe because you ram is running God Awfully slow it's having an impact. I doubt you'll be able to touch on what's really happening though. :) Then again keep up the good work. :salute: I don't let XTU anywhere near my OS personally, I think it's garbage.

Last edited:
Yes i did try it different times in different ambient conditions. Ambient temperature cant wary this much during 10 min of testing. All i did change values stress for 3 min change values stress for 3 min. You dont need long stress to see this huge difference between temperatures
let me guess, you got higher temus on the second run when you raised your voltage to stock? The testing method as explained is a bit flawed. You should test longer, and you should also give more time between runs to allow the cooler to go back to ambient/idle temps. It's either that or its changing other voltages. VDIMM by itself does not do this. :)

How about some screenshots of your bios settings?

Only thing I can see that may possibly have something to do with it is that your timings seem pretty relaxed. I run mine at 16-16-16-36 for 3333MHz. And I know more aggressive timings usually take more voltage. Maybe because you ram is running God Awfully slow it's having an impact. I doubt you'll be able to touch on what's really happening though. :) Then again keep up the good work. :salute: I don't let XTU anywhere near my OS personally, I think it's garbage.

Well first of all there are many threads and YT comparison videos about ram speed comparison. Each of them show that RAM after 2400MHZ has way too low impact on gaming performance so its not worth spending a huge money on it, my RAMs are secondhand got them for 40 dollars. I tried to decrease timing but it didnt really give me any advantage testing in AIDA memory benchmark or gaming average fps performance. Anyway it just my opinion about RAM waste of money.
How is official intel software is garbage on only monitoring temperatures, however as i told before, i tested temperatures with different softwares.

- - - Updated - - -

let me guess, you got higher temus on the second run when you raised your voltage to stock? The testing method as explained is a bit flawed. You should test longer, and you should also give more time between runs to allow the cooler to go back to ambient/idle temps. It's either that or its changing other voltages. VDIMM by itself does not do this. :)

How about some screenshots of your bios settings?

Well i wont use more time on testing because temp difference is way to big. And about second thing ofc i checked 1.250 first before 1.150.
Also we agreed that vdimm doesnt do it, but it has to do something with changing other values of something, but i have manually changed all voltage options i could find so what i will do now is find stable ram voltage. And put its value to my original overclock and see if i get any better temperature results.

Last edited:
^ As you know better, I wonder why you came here to ask...

Could u please explain mister what u mean by that?
Im sorry if these questions seems stupid or pointless to you.
OP questions:
So the question is how can i check if my voltage is stable? So far i run memtest86 and passed with 0 errors. Will memtest86 give me an error if my voltage too low?
Some people say its bad to run RAM at low voltages,is it? is 1.150 considered as low?
And finally is it good idea or bad? If intel XTU or HWmonitor are accurate in reading temperatures then 5C decrease in temperature, isnt it great?

Back