• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mein Kampf: The Ultimate Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mortis03 said:
Oh yeah, at this day in the game, I wouldnt go agp if you are speeding that much money.
I second that. You'll be spending a bunch of money on a new video card that is on a technology that is being phased out. If you want to upgrade later to a new motherboard or another system or a new video card, you'll be prettymuch forced to go PCI-Express. Just a suggestion, you'll do whatever you want anyway, but thats my little spiel to try and get you to wait for PCI-Express A64 mobos that should be available sometime this month and more widely available starting in 2005....

The clawhammers (1mb cache) do not generally OC better than the newcastles but the extra cache of the clawhammers will show a LITTLE improvement over the newcastles, granted they are running at the same speed; the improvement may be worth 100-200mhz. The disadvantage to getting the 3400 on s754 is that there is no option for dual channel memory so that will also affect performance a little. But the s939 3500+ with the winchester core (90nm) will probably overclock about the same as the newcastle s939 3500+ but perform a LITTLE better and possibly run a little cooler. I would suggest a winchester over a newcastle or clawhammer.
But agian, AMD's second line of 90nm cpu's will be coming out in the next few months and should be better in the sense that some new features are added (possibly SSE3) and fix the old issues (possibly the onboard memory controller) so again *IF* you were to wait you could have the "new and improved" CPU's and a future proof PCI-Express solution.

BUT, since you can't wait, your setup looks pretty good and I would DEFINATELY suggest the winchester (90nm) chips over the newcastles or clawhammers (130nm). You could actually drop down to a s939 3200+ and it would still OC about the same as the 3500+. The only OC'ing advantage to getting the 3500 over the 3200 would that you would have access to the 11x multiplier on the 3500 whereas the 3200 goes up to a 10x multiplier so there is more of a reliance on your memory speeds for your overclock.

So, I finally told my mom about my idea. She said yes. I splooged right there.

But then... she said that it might not happen because my car insurance is so high. $5,560 for one year of auto insurace. Just for an 18 year old male, no history of violence or delinquency. **** that ****ing ****. So if the insurance company is a bunch of ********s and makes us pay that, no Christmas for me.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Triple A. That damn gecko was right, Geico could've saved me alot of money.

koolman187 said:
So, I finally told my mom about my idea. She said yes. I splooged right there.

But then... she said that it might not happen because my car insurance is so high. $5,560 for one year of auto insurace. Just for an 18 year old male, no history of violence or delinquency. **** that ****ing ****. So if the insurance company is a bunch of ********s and makes us pay that, no Christmas for me.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Triple A. That damn gecko was right, Geico could've saved me alot of money.

Is a Raptor really worth the cost? I could drop it and get a 160 gig drive for cheaper.

The raptor is worth it IMO... check out the storage section of the forums...

and off note:
can a mod please change the title of this thread... just reading it makes me feel very uncomfortable and queasy to my stomach...

Back