• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory with LEDs????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Snakebyt2K said:
yea, looks neat.. also some of the Geil dragon memory has a LED in it

It's the Geil "Golden Dragon" that has the led's on them. Kinda niffty the first time you see it. But, I can't understand the plexi heat spreaders on them...

CrashOveride said:
Thats kinda funny IMO, esp how they call the HS and LED nessacary.

they are probably hard wired to key parts of the RAM, remove them and it stops functioning..much like closing bridges on an Athlon to get your overclock just right, heh. And I wonder how much they paid someone to add that to the RAM (thus upping the cost to us). I will say it looks cool, The HyperX model were the ones I saw with like 9 LEDs on them (don't know if these are them, link doesnt work for me :rolleyes: )

pik4chu said:

they are probably hard wired to key parts of the RAM, remove them and it stops functioning..much like closing bridges on an Athlon to get your overclock just right, heh. And I wonder how much they paid someone to add that to the RAM (thus upping the cost to us). I will say it looks cool, The HyperX model were the ones I saw with like 9 LEDs on them (don't know if these are them, link doesnt work for me :rolleyes: )

"512 Mbyte XMS ProSeries modules, with two banks, have a total of 18 activity LED’s in green, yellow and red"

LEDs on memory? That's so unnecessary, I can't even express it in words. How in the world could they be useful? Checking how much physical memory is in use, POST tool, decoration? Just more cost to us. -_-

Well what the LED's do is they go from green to red on how much memory bandwidth they are using....so if someone was curious and didn't want to load up some more software (like some app that happens to have hte mem bandwidth measurement along w/a few hundred other things) that might clog up their sys, they could look inside their case/window :D

I say its pretty nifty, I mean these LED's have a slight purpose other than looks :) Take that GEIL ;)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

CrystalMethod said:

It's the Geil "Golden Dragon" that has the led's on them. Kinda niffty the first time you see it. But, I can't understand the plexi heat spreaders on them...

Theyre not heatspreaders. They use a different packaging, so they dont really get hot at all. The plexi there to keep your curious little fingers from damaging the bare chip wafers.

Yeah the LEDs are kinda neat looking, utterly useless though. Just more Bling.

Back