• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mice: USB 2.4 GHz RF vs. Bluettooth

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I looked at Bluetooth mice to use with a laptop (native Bluetooth) and noticed, in addition to Bluetooth, there are the so called "USB 2.4 GHz RF" mice.

Are these mice Bluetooth by another name as Bluetooth is a 2.4 GHz radio (RF) technology or is it a different technology than Bluetooth also using a 2.4 GHz RF channels?

Also, if it is different than Bluetooth, is a USB dongle needed or would my late model megalaptop be likely to support it with a native adapter?

Odds are they're a different protocol/radio that uses the same 2.4GHz ISM band.
A genuine bluetooth mouse seems like it ought to be able to interface directly to a computer that supports bluetooth. I'd certainly hope it could.

If it's not bluetooth, your laptop won't speak the right language for it without a dongle.

Bobnova, thanks for the response.

The reason I asked the question was because Newegg lists 534 RF Wireless but only 87 Bluetooth mice. I was expecting to see the opposite. This very large imbalance with over 6 times as many RF wireless mice than Bluetooth make me think that RF wireless is not some specialized protocol and maybe is a Bluetooth protocol.

In any case, whatever I get will not have a dongle as that is the reason for buying a new mouse in the first place.

Bluetooth certification is expensive, I expect.

There's a ton of different protocols and signaling methods in the 2.4GHz ISM band, it's almost certainly far cheaper to grab a radio transceiver pair and write your own software protocol for it than to pay whoever owners Bluetooth for certification and licensing.

Apart from Bluetooth, there's also Zigbee (not very common for PC use apparently) and many variants of raw FSK like what the nRF2401 and related chipsets support.

I once came across a mini PCIe card that could not only send and receive Wifi and Bluetooth, but also raw 2.4GHz FSK. Sort of like SDR, but the card handles the modulation/demodulation while the software handles the high level processing.

Back