• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mineral Oil Submersive cooling or Traditional liquid cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaV3N

I have recently read about cooling the pc with mineral oil buy filling up a tank completely with it and motherboard and compenents inside. Is this better oppose to tradition liquid cooling with a radiator or even on equal in cooling performance?

Personally, I don't believe it would be worth the hassle. Submersive cooling is more for looks than anything else. A custom water cooling loop should cool much better as well.

Personally, I don't believe it would be worth the hassle. Submersive cooling is more for looks than anything else. A custom water cooling loop should cool much better as well.
Absolutely. Its a giant mess I can imagine and not worth it. Also, nobody would want to buy oil soaked parts if you sell your old stuff.

I would say it's more of a "look what I can do" thing rather than a "this is really efficient and easy to maintain" type thing. Basically, a lot of work for little, if any, gain.

I remembering once on the tv they mentioned something about some government facility had a bunch of huge water pipes to cool their super computers. Would this be a better alternative since it can be applied directly onto the entire surface?

I mean yeah for regular computers it would be heavy and inconvenient, not to mention the extra wattage for the device to cool everything as well as keep everything mixing.

But in the extreme case of water cooling, could this be useful? or would it still be about the same as what we currently have?

Its not that it doesnt work, its that its not really practical.. again no chance for resale, or if something breaks, you think you can return a sloppy oily mess? No chance.

afaik, you void all warranties when you submerge your hardware. But i'd consider doing it with an old rig, just to be able to say "I've got a fully submerged PC, and it works"

no dust :)
pudget has come a long way with this , since last time i saw thier site.
I could clean up any of the parts that went in, but for myself i change things to often to want to deal with it. i guess its one reason why i dont want to work at McDs on the greace fryer :) its just messy.

It looks fantastic, but normal old boring water cooling will give you lower temps with less mess, fewer voided warranties, and less hassle.

Back