• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Molex Fan to Motherboard CHA 4 pin adapter, good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I can't find this on newegg or Microcenter, am I looking at the wrong places there?

MolexToPin.jpg

My Skylake motherboard Asus Z170A has four CHA fans on the motherboard itself.
I already connected two front 120mm fans to the motherboard because they are 4 pin fans.

Now I have one back 120mm Fan, and one top 200mm fan, both are Molex fans.
Is there a downside from waning to use that adapter to connect the remaining two fans which are molex fans to this 2016 motherboard?
Why am I having a hard time finding that adapter?

Antec Nine Hundred case

Back fan and top fan:

08.jpg

09.jpg

Both are molex.
Now, I have a modular PSU. So I didn't want to run a molex connector up to the two fans when I had one free SATA power connector.
And I had a SATA power to Molex adaptor. So they are running off of that now.

But Asus Skylake Z170-A has four CHA fan four pin connectors on it.
Since I need that SATA to Molex adaptor for something else, I have a choice of three:

• Run a modular molex cable from PSU from PSU on opposite side of case.
• Buy SATA to Molex to avoid running the power cable from PSU on opposite side of case.
• Buy molex to 4-pin cable and if so any pkace sells these for less than twenty bucks for two?

I'd like to read your thoughts on why.

If that fan is like this:
rose.jpg

Then just remove the molex spliter and get a:
fanextender.jpg

Also, I meant for you to take some pics with a camera, not copy and paste from online store.

I apologize for thinking the word molex was enough. The online store picture had the molex connector hanging which is why I chose it. One of the wires actually broke so I had to fix it and did not want to disconnect it and risk breaking it again but now I completely understand that word molex is not enough and that a picture is needed and I disconnected it and took a picture and so this is the picture of the exact molex connector and the picture of the fan itself too:

Attachments

• 1470147286083.jpg
    1470147286083.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 844
Ok, I see now what your talking about, if this was my case and fans, I would take that fan out and buy a new fan with the right connector on it to plug in to the MB. You can also get the adapter Earthdog linked and use the fans you have there. But those fans only have 2 wires, so no way for the MB to read the RPM of the fans.

Back