• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor recs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I am looking into getting a new monitor (first time I ever will have owned a new monitor uinstead of a hand-me-down from an older box that bit the dust). I want a CRT TFT black 19"

You can do yourself a big favor by doing research into the different technologies involved...As in shadow mask or aperture grill technologies...ViewSonic makes inexpensive aperture grill monitors that perform admirable for the money...If you want a good one look at either the Sony CPD-G420S or the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920...Aperture Grill is the newest technology out there for CRT's...Bang for buck because of the quality that ViewSonic uses in its electronics make them a good choice over some of the lesser known or reconized brands...You can go over to www.tomshardware.com/ and read a article about 19" CRT's and get a general overview of the technology used and get comparisions of about a dozen or so CRT's...I personally had a hard time finding articles or comparisions of monitors at most of the computer sites that I reguarly visit...Good starting point...Do your research so you can make an educated decision on your purchase....Good Luck :D

If you want the end-all/be-all of monitors, go with a LaCie.

Absolutely incredible, just be ready to fork over a ton of cash. The 22" is about 1k$, depending where you get it.

well if i can say this without laughing at myself.
walmart has kds xtream flats on sale here in ohio.
17"=$118 19"=$188
this is my second kds xf. i just got it today.sold my old one last year for beer money or something.anyhow its the best $200 ive spent on my pc yet.honestly! it looks completly differant.

ive heard complaints about kds from others here in forums. but to me they are cheap but work flawlesly.

only suggestion id really recomend is you get a flat moniter.the screen that is.

TFT = trueflat = exactly what I want when I get my new CRT monitor. I'll look into it soon, right now I gota get updates for that nice lappy I just added to my sig :)

Go nec. I've got 2 NEC's. 17" and a 19". the 17" "5FGe" is a damn tank. This thing weighs about a ton. It's been dropped 3 times. Twice about 3 or 4 feet onto concrete. once about 7 or 8 feet (Down a flight of 11 steps (Front porch on a raised foundation)) landing on my chest. The last fall busted a crack in the front right corner, misaligning the switch (which I was too lazy to fix) so I just use the power cable to turn it on and off. I've had it about 6 years, got it used for 85$, And the f*cker still works. (I upgraded to a 19" e900, which I dont move so i cant attest to it's durability, though it is lighter so I'd say probably not as tough.) But Anyhow. That 5FGe has sold me on NEC's. They are f*cking monsters.

If anyone lives near the Best Buy in DE, (Not in concord the one by where hechengers used to be... forget the address. sec... Ill check my reciept. El Duh, wilmington. They had a 19" flatscreen Samsung I think it was, floor model, for something insane like 130 or 150 bucks. I woulda bought it, but Im happy with my nec and right now I've got a 17" and a 15" not getting used so I dont need a new monitor. They had a bunch of scanners and a couple other monitors on sale too all floor models. Plus some bubblejet printer for 30$ (If you are sly you can usually get a saleman to toss in some new cartriges with it... not always though.) Was 13ppm black 7.5 Color if I recall Thats all I took note of. Welp Yeah.

SirDennis said:
It looks like everyone's recommending their own monitors.
Are there any monitors one shouldn't buy?

Stay away from Daytek/Daewoo models. I had one once and it was nothing but trouble. Lasted one year and when the manufacturer warranty replaced it, the second one didnt last any longer. Then a friend bought one for his spare computer and it went real quick as well.

Al

ok it looks like i'll be getting one from Dell. what can you say about the NEC acusync that has a .2MM dot pitch

erll than i guess there goes that. i'll probably get one of those Dells then that are about 2250 shipped and go up to 2400x1800

Back