• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most boneheaded OCF member?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a boneheaded moment to add. It is not me bieng clumsy though.

I just went out of state to visit some loved ones. Low and behold I forgot my down filled coat there. Now today, I am back at home and it is well below freezing. With the windchill it is a nice spring like 11°F(-4°C). :eh?:

I am such a bonehead. :bang head

One time I shoved an old PC2700 PNY memory module in my AXP rig backwards, then I turned it on. It didn't post and I was like "wtf" so I took it back out and it booted up fine. I then noticed that two of the pins in the RAM had been broken due to me shoving it in backwards. It wouldn't work when I tried putting it in the right way, and fluxing Best Buy wouldn't take it back under the warranty, because of "customer-related damages". Well, I learned two things from that. Don't put RAM in backwards, and don't shop at Best Buy.

Another time I almost forgot to plug in the PCI-E power cable (it was my first PCI-E build) in a customer's computer. I remembered about 5 seconds before I hit the power button, lol. I wonder what would've happened if I didn't :rolleyes:

The other day after installing Linux on my main comp it screwed up my system clock, and set it 5 hours ahead. Well, last night at 6, I was in Windows and looked at the clock to see that it was 11 PM, so I hurried up and went to "sleep" (watch adult swim). Then I got in my room to see that the CBS Evening News with Some Stupid Old Republican was on... I then remembered that Gentoo Linux has never liked keeping my clock accurate, and checked another clock and sure enough it was only 6. :bang head

Enablingwolf said:
I have a boneheaded moment to add. It is not me bieng clumsy though.

I just went out of state to visit some loved ones. Low and behold I forgot my down filled coat there. Now today, I am back at home and it is well below freezing. With the windchill it is a nice spring like 11°F(-4°C). :eh?:

I am such a bonehead. :bang head

When I was a little kid (9 years old, I think...), I lived in Northern California north east of San Francisco, and one fine cold day, the family decided to take a drive into SF and see the Golden Gate and other stuff. I think some relatives were with us, too...Anyway, it was really cold, and I was advised to dress warmly...being the bright 9 year old I was, I decided to go ahead and put on a jacket, but not change out of the shorts I was wearing that day. So there I was in cold wet, foggy San Francisco wearing my big jacket...and friggin shorts! I thought I was so cool not listening to my parents, but I remember being there and thinking I should have put pants on instead. There is a pic of me somewhere standing next to a cousin and I don't look too happy. Of course, my little cousin was smart enough to listen to his parents. :-/

Soichiro said:
Another time I almost forgot to plug in the PCI-E power cable (it was my first PCI-E build) in a customer's computer. I remembered about 5 seconds before I hit the power button, lol. I wonder what would've happened if I didn't

I was working on my rig the other day, and had to remove the PCIe power cable to do some work, and had turned the system on to check on some stuff, without the power line in place, and then later plugged the PCIe back in...I haven't had any problems.

i got one! (not that i should be proud or anything).
I was on a hiking trip with the rest of my grade from school. we stopped by a nice little waterfall to take a lunch break. I was just sitting around minding my own business when all of a sudden somebody behind me (not from my school) slips in some black colored mud and splashes it all over me.
I got a good blob right around my right eye that made me look like snoopy and a good amount on my clothes.
almost everybody from my grade saw me covered in mud and I just stood there and laughed.
somebody even got a picture...

I cant think of anything in particular that was way over the top, but heres a couple short ones.

As many others have mentioned, just the other day I was running in panic mode trying to get out the door to work running late. I spent 10 mins up and downstairs looking all over for my car keys which were in my right hand the entire time. :bang head

When I was a kid... probably 10 or so I decided it would be a great idea to plug in the Christmas lights in the middle of a rainstorm. So, I go outside to the plug that goes in the outside wall, grab hold of the soaked socket and stick it in the wall... next thing I remember was sitting on my *** about 5 feet away and my hand was numb. Doh! :bang head

Another similar incident at that age. We had one of those old refrigerators, probably circa the mid-late 80's with thr fridge on the bottom 2/3 and freezer on the top. The bulb had been out in the fridge for ages and one day my mom had picked up a new one and asked me to replace it. It was located at the top and around the back of the control unit. So, I stick my hand around there feeling around for the old bulb to pull out and ZAP! I stick my finger in the empty socket.. of course with the door open, its on. Thanks for pulling the old bulb out dad! :bang head

I've walked out of my apartment without my bag (which my keys are attached to) a few times...that neccesitates popping the window screen out from the outside (not the easiest thing in the world), grabbing my bag from the back of my chair and then wasting 5 minutes trying to replace the screen (also not easy). And people wonder why I have 5 pounds of crap in it...so I can know if I have it with me or not.

A discussion once on AIM went completely to hell...misinterpretation on top of misinterpretation. Luckily that got ironed out via phone the next day (I was able to read back over the convo and figure out exactly what went wrong and why), but I still felt like a total jerk for about a week.

I had a microwave incident similar to psyckos....was out and about, decided to pick up a burrito from the local Burger Basket; the burrito was a carne asada deluxe, can barely get both hands around it, being so big! I got home and got out of my truck and tossed my sigs & lighter in the bag with the burrito, to free up my other hand to operate the house key. Got in the house and decided that the burrito needed warmed up a bit. I throw the bag in the microwave, punch in for one minute and started to head for the bathroom, when something caught my eye...the bag was fully engulfed in flames! :eh?: I spun around and yanked open the microwave door, grabbed the carousel plate and dumped everything on the floor! I then saw the cigarette lighter shooting a jet of flame; worried that it might explode I ran out into the garage and got a shovel, which I used to scoop up the lighter and toss outside into the yard. Thankfully, my primo burrito was only slightly scorched, it being wrapped in aluminum foil!

Well, one is that I'm up right now... second, in high school me and my buddies went to get some BBQ before a football game. Well, it was pouring rain (don't remember if they cancelled the game or not, doesnt matter) and the guys that drove me decided to haul arse back into the school after eating. Me, being the bright kid I was, watched both of them hit one patch concrete and both land on their backs, then followed them into the same wet patch. None of us moved for like 5 minutes, got soaked, and ya, my pride still hurts from that lack of brain usage.

I also lose my screwdriver. I'll be using it, sit it down, and forget where I left it. I will be looking for it for an average of 5 minutes every time. I need to put it on a retractable cable attached to the wall. I'd still probably lose it >.<

I also lose my screwdriver. I'll be using it, sit it down, and forget where I left it. I will be looking for it for an average of 5 minutes every time. I need to put it on a retractable cable attached to the wall. I'd still probably lose it >.<

DUDE! I do that all the time! I have a hole freaking screwdriver set and am lucky to find one. its usually right under me lol. One time I think I sat on one and didn't notice (a small one)

I have like 5 sets of mini screwdriver set because of that, and I still managed to misplace them exactly 3 seconds before I needed them. Once I slept all night with a very small screwdriver and never noticed it. Yet the very second I found it at 7 in the morning, it some how drove a small hole under my thumbnail. >_<

Did over 16 hours of community service at the library only to find out I had two books that were overdue for 2 months today.

The day the wife was in the hospital waiting to deliver I drove home to get her bag and as I came back out to the car i left it running with the keys in the ignition and the doors were locked. Luckily I had AAA.

Ok haha I got one, I remember this one time, my family moved into a new house, we got everything moved in and i was helping my dad with the satellite we brought it up onto the roof and he gave the cable to run into the house to hook up to the reciever... so i brought the cable i nand got side tracked somehow.. anyway sowe are o nthe roof and we got the tv turned up load so we could hear the ring strength "none" and after about 1 1/2hrs of screw around i come down and look to see wtf is going on... didnt notice anything so he came down and told me to try and find the signal and im doing it for like 2mins and he calls me and says "you didnt connect the cable to the reciever..." haha truly boneheaded... 2mins later we were watcjhing tv.

oh also sometimes "happens more than one" but i know better by now, when i refil the lawnmower with gas ill set the cap right on top in the center "just above where the cord coils up" and i would spend a good 5mins looking for it, just because it looked liek a part of the mower lo...

I built a new Athlon tbird system, but I didn't bother using the heat sink. I didn't think it was important. When the system didn't work, I swapped in another processor to test. I then RMA'd my motherboard complaining that it was frying cpus.

That was probably about 7 years ago. I really had no clue what I was doing. Now all my cases have like 8 fans and custom cooling mods.

Toss up between the electrocution's caused by hot swapping various fans,lights etc or my fingers getting too intimate with Delta screamer 80mm fans voracious little ******** those things think they must have drawn blood a dozen times before i put fan guards on.

These are just the PC related incidents there are many more im sure :)

My siamese cat got an infection in her right cheek. I decided to take her to the vet. Being an outdoor cat, she wasn't to fond of being put in a box. after 20 minutes of struggling and scratching, I finally get her in a box and set her in my car. I start the car ready to go and realize I forgot my wallet in the house. Get out of the car, go to my room and comeback. Upon returning to the car, I find that my window is rolled up, and shes sitting on the stairs looking at me and meowing. I go to the car to get the box and try to open my door. ITS LOCKED!!! The car is running, and Im locked out from the drivers side door. Not thinking things through, I spend 40+ minutes trying to figure out how to get in my car without calling AAA. I go to the passenger side and low and behold, the window is open. Needless to say, I stick her in the box after struggling some more, and take her to the vet.

Moral of the story:: SIAMESE CATS ARE POSSESSED, DONT LEAVE THEM ALONE IN CARS, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!! :sn:

Back