• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ytpconquer

I'm gonna be moving in a few days and am trying to figure out the easiest and safest way to move my PC. I'll be driving around 8 hours and don't want to damage anything. The main things I'm worried about are the GFX card, (big 5870) and the HSF (Hyper 212+). I don't want to put too much stress on the mobo due to vibrations while driving, and need to decide whether to remove the video card and HSF, or just lay the PC on its side to prevent gravity form shaking anything enough to damage it. I would rather not remove parts since it can be a PITA to get a good application of thermal paste on the HSF. Would it be safe to just leave everything assembled and turn it on its side?

Thanks.

Remove all pci card and fans on your cpu HS, pretty much anything that will shift around(even slightly) and package them up safely. Did you keep any of your boxes(5870, sound cards, etc) ?

There is no need to remove the cpu HS just the fans on it. I found that a blanket works best for wrapping a PC to transport long distances as it absorbs shock and it's a cozy ride for your pc.

Back