• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi-core Folders (BigAdv): What will we do now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leonardo

This thread I address mainly to the '4P' mafia members, but anyone with interest and a good idea is welcomed to participate. :clap:

Although I've had a year to get ready for BigAdv's ending, I'm still not ready. The 48-core machine building, Linux learning, molecule modelling adventure has been a wonderful experience for me, as I hope it's been for you. What will you do? What will I do. Here are some ideas off the top of my head. I'd appreciate your comments, ideas, criticisms, and what have you.

Leonardo at Overclockers
Leonardo at Folding

1. Do nothing. Just fold whatever Stanford chooses to through at at system configured for -smp, -bigadv.
2. Save a pile of money each month; quit Folding@Home.
3. *Sell the 4Ps on eBay and build multi-GPU machines for Folding.
4. Transition to other distributed computing projects that optimally utilize a 48-core system's capabilities. (I think there are a couple BOINC projects.)
5. Put the 4Ps in storage and look at them every now and then with a smile and tear in one eye.

*Find a good eBay seller with a good rep, let him sell my gear with a commission (I've never sold anything on eBay).

Oh, thank you for offering, but not interested. Overclocking is great; I've been doing it for since 2000. At this stage in my computing adventures, I'm only interested in overclocking for what it can accomplish in practical matters. Competition is great though, as it brings out the best in us (usually :) ).

Oh, thank you for offering, but not interested. Overclocking is great; I've been doing it for since 2000. At this stage in my computing adventures, I'm only interested in overclocking for what it can accomplish in practical matters. Competition is great though, as it brings out the best in us (usually :) ).

Let me further explain.
There are some benchmarks where you're ranked based on the number of cores you have. That's where 4P would come in.

Without much effort at all, you could make some great scores. Simply because you've got some 48 thread machines.

Just throwing the idea out there (for all 4P guys, not just one person :) )
Never know who'd be interested, but not know what we do on the benchmarking side!

I figured I'd do that on my 4P when I get a chance.

I'm also thinking about possibly using it at my work for CAM work. It is a pretty beefy board. Just not sure if the software can take full advantage of it.

Back