• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverClockThis

Registered
So after a long and tedious 2-days. I have found everything I want for my system. If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Also if I have left anything out that I need, now would be a great time to tell me as I will probably be ordering tomorrow :p Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
Item #: N82E16827118030

Thermaltake Armor+MX VH8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811133062

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136317

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139006

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115202

EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130475

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131365

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145224

Could do just fine with a Corsair 620 (even when you add another card for SLI)...save some money and get a Hitachi 1TB - or help us out by telling us where you're buying - and some prices!!! :p

Also - GO AMD!!! :D

Looks okay so far - thoughts on mouse/keyboard/monitor? How about a good heatsink for the i7?

I heard the Green edition of WD Caviar is MUCH slower than blue (mainstream) and black (performance). You may want to look into that a bit.

I heard the Green edition of WD Caviar is MUCH slower than blue (mainstream) and black (performance). You may want to look into that a bit.

The new models perform quite well but I would agree with you about swapping it out. I use my Green as a media storage drive only. For OS/programs I'd go with the WD Black. :)

OK, I swapped out the caviar green for the hitachi 7200. As for power... I tried running my setup through a power supply calculator and its saying I need a PSU that can support 1139 w?! I would like to be able to upgrade (3 hdd's, 3 more sticks of ram, overclock the cpu). Will 750 watts cut it? why does the psu calculator say i need over a kilowatt?!

What calculator are you using? A 750-watt should be more then enough - even with the upgrades your planning.

I used the thermaltake calculator which was the same one as the one found here...
extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Would I be able to do a SLI configuration with 750 W?

I'm not gonna overclock immediately. I'm gonna wait til after its built to buy a heat sink for overclocking.

For my ram setup I have 3x2GB ram, would it be better/faster if I did 6x1GB??

Is there a difference between the Asus P6T Deluxe and the P6T Deluxe V2? They are the same price, and it looks like all the specs are the same.

Last edited:
I used the thermaltake calculator which was the same one as the one found here...
extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Would I be able to do a SLI configuration with 750 W?

I'm not gonna overclock immediately. I'm gonna wait til after its built to buy a heat sink for overclocking.

For my ram setup I have 3x2GB ram, would it be better/faster if I did 6x1GB??

Is there a difference between the Asus P6T Deluxe and the P6T Deluxe V2? They are the same price, and it looks like all the specs are the same.

The V2 is missing somthing but I can't recall what it is. Get the V1. 3x2Gb would be less stress on the Northbridge so a little better really.

750W will be more than enough to run multiple HDD's AND SLI configuration.

Unless of course you'll have a server going on in there with like 10 hard drives....

GL :)

Could do just fine with a Corsair 620 (even when you add another card for SLI)...save some money and get a Hitachi 1TB - or help us out by telling us where you're buying - and some prices!!! :p

Also - GO AMD!!! :D

Looks okay so far - thoughts on mouse/keyboard/monitor? How about a good heatsink for the i7?

no dont go amd he's on crack. stay with that and that looks like a sexy system. how much for the whole thing?

I like it other than the JD. Just change it for a Black and call it a day.
I'm assuming this means change the hitachi for the wd caviar black? JD = junk drive?

750 w is more than enough for overclocking, multiple hdd, 6 memory sticks, and sli? I found a corsair 850 w for only 30 dollars more.

no dont go amd he's on crack. stay with that and that looks like a sexy system. how much for the whole thing?
Grand Total: $1,327.09

I'm a little worried the graphics card won't fit my mobo/case. Any ideas on this?

Also, I found out the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard is missing SAS ports. But newegg is out of stock on the Deluxe. As far as I know, SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) is not something I need. Is there any other use for SAS besides server applications?

Last edited:
I just placed the order, super sick! :)

I just can't stand to wait...

Last edited:
Hey congrats bud!! Now start saving up for the next build, cause once you get bitten by the build bug, theres no stopping you....except money lol. It's alot of fun building systems for friends and family, and perhaps if yoru lucky, you can go into business doing it. :)

I'm actually drug free :burn: - and have a system to place up against anything.

Anyways, congrats on the first build - as another poster said, it's addicting. GL

Back