• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Gaming PC randomly RESTARTS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

So recently my PC started to randomly RESTART after being turned on for long periods of time. This happens at random times and sometimes it can go weeks with out shutting off randomly.

I stress tested my PC where nothing really happens, maybe i need to stress test it for long periods of time? But i am guessing that my PSU could be the issue? It is pretty old and i purchased my PSU around 2010 to 011. So could it be my PSU?

Here are my specs:
4790k, Watercooled with Antec 920, idle 35c, gaming 56c max. Stress test about 62ish C. NOT OC.
MSI Krait MOBO
16GB
Antec 1000Wat PSU:
http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/antec-truepower-quatt...

I had a AMD 8350 system used this ANTC 1000WAT PSU before i upgraded to the 4790k system and i had no issues with the AMD 8350 Randomly shutting OFF? Could be because my 4790k system is taking more juice? And there for the RANDOM restarts? I thought my ANTEC 1000wat PSU should still be enough?
More about : randomly restarts

Unless you are running a triple SLI GPU set-up than 1000W is way more than enough. So power draw is not the issue.I would say from the information presented it is likely the aging PSU. 6-7 years is a long time to run. It's not excessive but it's certainly not out of the question. Especially if it's the CP-1000 series. They're just OK, nothing great and it wouldn't surprise me if it's time to retire it.

Can you post a screen shot of HWMonitor (free) showing the voltages & temps under full load for about 20 minutes. Sometimes an aging PSU will show a reduction in voltages and fall outside of the specs to keep the system stable. This isn't always the case for a dying PSU as there are many other factors, but it can be an indicator.

Unless you are running a triple SLI GPU set-up than 1000W is way more than enough. So power draw is not the issue.I would say from the information presented it is likely the aging PSU. 6-7 years is a long time to run. It's not excessive but it's certainly not out of the question. Especially if it's the CP-1000 series. They're just OK, nothing great and it wouldn't surprise me if it's time to retire it.

Can you post a screen shot of HWMonitor (free) showing the voltages & temps under full load for about 20 minutes. Sometimes an aging PSU will show a reduction in voltages and fall outside of the specs to keep the system stable. This isn't always the case for a dying PSU as there are many other factors, but it can be an indicator.

HI, thanks alot for the response, yes i am guessing at this point it could be my PSU, but at the same time this very same PSU was able to run my AMD 8350 system with 8GB RAM with no issues only about a month or two back.

I recently upgraded to my friends 4790k system to which i bought from. Only difference being is that this 4790k system comes with 16GB Ram. The rest remained the same like the 1060GTX GPU, my SSD, and 2 hardrives.

With the 8350 cpu i didn't run into the random restarts as i am facing right now with the 4790k, is it because the Intel cpu just takes more juice? But at the same time it is a 1000w PSU. I am a broke student so buying a new PSU will hurt my pockets alot since especially i just bought my friends 4790k system only about couple weeks back. So i would like to know for sure if i should buy a new PSU or not, and HOPEFULLY it isn't my 4790k that giving the issue. But i doubt it since the hottest my 4790k ever ran was 83c max when running prime 95.

I ran prime 95 and stress tested my system at full load for about 30mins MSI 4790k.JPG and took a pic of it as you indicated.

Ok here's another thought. Assuming you're running Windows is this the same install from the 8350? If so you may be experiencing a driver conflict between AMD and Intel. You might need a fresh install of Windows.

Ok here's another thought. Assuming you're running Windows is this the same install from the 8350? If so you may be experiencing a driver conflict between AMD and Intel. You might need a fresh install of Windows.

Yes its the very same 64bit windows 10 install that use to run on the 8350, but now running on the 4790k. And i recently did couple of FRESH installs in order to fix this random restart issue.

These random restarts happens "randomly". I don't see any light fading prior to my pc just randomly restarting, i guess the only way to find out is by me getting another PSU? I really don't have any spare parts or another desktop PC to test my PSU on, so its hard to say if i should buy another PSU or not.

Yes its the very same 64bit windows 10 install that use to run on the 8350, but now running on the 4790k. And i recently did couple of FRESH installs in order to fix this random restart issue.

Wait this is confusing. I just want to clarify, so the install that you are currently using was NOT used with the AMD? Either way I would back up what ever data you need to and format the OS drive and do a full fresh Windows install. Then install the drivers. It's a pain I understand but it's free and will eliminate the possibility of 1. Driver conflicts and 2. Corrupt OS.

Wait this is confusing. I just want to clarify, so the install that you are currently using was NOT used with the AMD? Either way I would back up what ever data you need to and format the OS drive and do a full fresh Windows install. Then install the drivers. It's a pain I understand but it's free and will eliminate the possibility of 1. Driver conflicts and 2. Corrupt OS.

re irritated

Last edited:
ISOGAMER I dont think you get what he is asking . Using the same CD/key doesnt make it the same install .

New MB/chipset do a fresh install of windows or you are just asking for problems and lower performance.

ISOGAMER I dont think you get what he is asking . Using the same CD/key doesnt make it the same install .

New MB/chipset do a fresh install of windows or you are just asking for problems and lower performance.

Sorry, i think there is just some miscommunication going on here.

Just so i can be clear again. I am using the same exact OS of Windows 10 pro 64bit Install Software that i USED with my AMD 8350 and with that INSTALL software i proceeded with a FRESH install for my 4790k. So i am using the same exact software, not just the the cd key that it came with it, and ofcourse a fresh install.

So far i have done about 3 to 4 of FRESH install of my Windows 10 64bit pro for my current system of 4790k with its 16gb ram. I did NOT leave all of the same install files that i used for my 8350. Ofcourse i did a fresh install for the 4790k, or else many of its hardware wouldn't work with my previous install. This windows 10 install software i have is universal and should be compatible with all desktop pcs.

I had to do 3 to 4 fresh install for my 4790k because of this random restart issues. I thought it just couldn't be a driver issue, because when ever Windows starts again it doesn't give me any error message, but i still went ahead with some fresh install of windows 10. The reason why i mentioned about my 8350 was because like i said at the time the current PSU i am using never randomly restarted my 8350 system. Maybe the PSU is close to its life cycle? And also on top of that i know the 4790k requires more TDP. BUT still 1000wat is alot of juice. My main concern is that it isn't the Mobo,Ram and CPU thats giving the issue, since i paid good money for it.

I think for now i will try to find another windows 10 64bit pro software to do another fresh install and see if that solves the problem, but i doubt it. If not then i would have no choice but to get a good psu for about 130ish dollars :-/

- - - Updated - - -

Current psu.JPG

Can you borrow a PSU from a friend ? to test for a night .
Have you updated the Bios on your MB ?

OK, 1 more question on the fresh installs, did you do a format or re-partition prior to the fresh install? I don't know if windows wipes drivers without doing a format. Maybe someone else knows that one.

The other thing we can check before you spend any money is your ram. It's not a bad idea to pull all but 1 stick of ram to see if you have a bad stick. Ram issues can cause a lot of different errors including reboots.

OK, 1 more question on the fresh installs, did you do a format or re-partition prior to the fresh install? I don't know if windows wipes drivers without doing a format. Maybe someone else knows that one.

The other thing we can check before you spend any money is your ram. It's not a bad idea to pull all but 1 stick of ram to see if you have a bad stick. Ram issues can cause a lot of different errors including reboots.

Yes ofcourse i always make sure that whenever i install new copy of windows OS i format the drive prior or delete the partition to make sure there is no data left behind. Ya for now i guess i will just stick one stick of ram and see if i still get those random restarts.

Passing 30 minutes of Prime95 does not ensure stability. I would run for at least 2 hr. And I would also run memtest86 overnight to check RAM.

A quick search shows that your 4790k has a tdp of 88w (curtisy of Intel ark) now you said you had an AMD 8350 that has a tdp of 125w..... just curious why you think the Intel needs more power?

Interesting you suspect the PSU that worked on your more demanding AMD system and not the motherboard of your new Intel system that was untested.

Also, dump that Corsair Link software and check again. That software is buggy as hell.

Yes ofcourse i always make sure that whenever i install new copy of windows OS i format the drive prior or delete the partition to make sure there is no data left behind. Ya for now i guess i will just stick one stick of ram and see if i still get those random restarts.

I see no mention of BSOD's,so that would most likely eliminate any driver issues. It's time to start looking at other things. I would re-tim the cpu, that's easy, and if you have any tim around, it's no extra cost to you. If that doesn't work, I'd consider testing with a different psu. If that psu is more than 5 years old, I'd be shopping around for a new one. Get yourself a 550 - 600 watt psu, EVGA makes makes some great psu's, and some of them have warranties that that exceed 5 years. If you are in the US, keep an eye out fpr sales, and Independence Day, is less than 2 weeks away. If you live near a Microcenter, they carry them, and one can be purchased for under $100, or you can check online at your favorite e-tailer. But my gut feeling is that this is heat related.

Back