• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Jinu117 Modded Vapochill LS is FINISHED!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sigh.... 1st of all, the picture glare showed it wrong but 150w was at -38.3 or -38.4... not -36....
Secondly, the fan was stock fan at moment of testing. It now has 100 or 110cfm fan sitting in the unit. (figures eh?) It will cool down easily another 2c especially in heavy loaded temperature with compressor running tad cooler as well as compensation of liquid in evap due to better condensing.
As for my unit holding -40c range for 180w.... those are only for NF11FX modification. You can't expect NF9FX to hold -40c at 180w really well. if you want good temp across broad range. In fact... I've maybe made 1 unit out so far that was able to and I honestly think it was a fluke compressor (like those incredible cpu that overclocks far more than rest)

Last edited:
jinu, there is nothing wrong with the temps, thats not what I was saying.
I would have expected the lower load temperatures to be higher and the load temps to be only slightly less not -40C at 200W (I know that would take cascade gas in the mix, overheating compressor and 300PSI conditions and you would never sell something that dangerious)
But as you explained you tuned the unit for 150W rather then your normal 200W tuneing, by using a more restritive cap tube. And that Dom was intrested in trying it this way. You caught me up to speed right there.
Just trying to clear that up, it seems like you might think that I think theres something wrong when I don't.

And dom, I really didn't want to get anyone irritated and expecialy not jinu :(

*edit*
After reading again, I think I see you were responding to Dominicks post, but the sedment stands, I don't see anything wrong with the temps jinu.
/edit

I was just trying to voice what I was thinking. And no prob. with the chat.

Last edited:
Both Jin and Maji.
You guys seem to forget the fact that I am VERY HAPPY.... :bday: <--- Do you see the birthday hat. I think my temps are great. On average from 0w to 180w Jin gave me a 10.5*C drop in temperature. I cant even ask for any better than that. I am sure my processor and the vapo will hold at that 180w load as well. Especially with the high CFM fans that Jinu installed in there.

Thanks again Jin! :beer:

Last edited:
jinu117 said:
Sigh.... 1st of all, the picture glare showed it wrong but 150w was at -38.3 or -38.4... not -36....

Damn Jin. That means I need to reprint my spreadsheet. LOL :mad: :santa:

greenmaji said:
And dom, I really didn't want to get anyone irritated and expecialy not jinu :(

If you didnt want to get anyone irritated than you wouldnt have posted this:
greenmaji said:
But, how much more would it have been to just have him build a new custom unit? From my PM's with him it seems like it would only be $100-200 more.

And this:

greenmaji said:
Im going to say it outloud :-/

It looks like it might be a tad overcharged in order to give you the no load temp you were looking for.

I would ask him if he could tune it for better load temps rather then no-load.
If its strait R402A something seems off to me. *almost like a shot of R23 or like I said a slight overcharge*

*don't hit me*

I'm not saying I know more then Jinu, its more about he might have been trying to please the customer or doing what the customer asked rather then what he thought was best.

I mean, come on Green. Theres a reason this thread went from "Nice mod dom, cant wait to see some results" to: "why does your unit perform so differently under load? Gee golly, this cant be right!" :)

Last edited:
crfracer290 said:
Either way, congrats Dominick, it was your 10 page thread that inspired me to start saving for phase. :thup:
Thanks bro. Hopefully my E6700 thread will inspire you to break the piggy bank even sooner. hehe

Well I updated my spreadsheet data based on Jins 150watt load clarification and I rounded out all of the decimal places to create a finalized chart for an article I will be writing up.

Jin Mod holds 10*C more temp over stock Vapo @ 150watts which is exactly what I hoped for. The chart displays ideal lowest Vapochill LS stock temps in best ambients. My stock Vapochill numbers were a tad higher across the board so I used Aseteks' best temp data for the chart which would mean the Stock Vapochill LS would need to be used in perfect conditions, great ambient temperature, and setup for marketing purposes to produce the temps in that chart. (Thats just to give you guys a good idea of how efficient Jin's mods really are)

Attachments

• newjin.JPG
    newjin.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
dominick32 said:
If you didnt want to get anyone irritated than you wouldnt have posted this:

I mean, come on Green. Theres a reason this thread went from "Nice mod dom, cant wait to see some results" to: "why does your unit perform so differently under load? Gee golly, this cant be right!" :)
He was not trying to get anyone irritated. When you asked for 60C I questioned it. I do not pretend to know more than jinu but to get colder temperatures you usually sacrafice a bit of load temps or temperature at a higher load for temps at a lower load.

We have our answer to why it may preform a bit differently. Nobody said anything about it being bad at all!. I definetley don't think so. However your reasoning that people posted in order to irritate you is wrong.

However have fun it IS a great unit! :beer:

praxis1452 said:
He was not trying to get anyone irritated. When you asked for 60C I questioned it. I do not pretend to know more than jinu but to get colder temperatures you usually sacrafice a bit of load temps or temperature at a higher load for temps at a lower load.

We have our answer to why it may preform a bit differently. Nobody said anything about it being bad at all!. I definetley don't think so. However your reasoning that people posted in order to irritate you is wrong.

However have fun it IS a great unit! :beer:

I have no problem with Maji. I just dont like getting words put in my mouth. I did not ask for NO LOAD temps. I asked for a vapo that produced all around colder temps. Nor did I ask for a 150watt load tune. Jin tuned my Vapo for his own reasoning and knowledge on phase and how he thinks my E6700 will handle the load. I put my trust in him. I just dont want to be told that I requested NO LOAD temps. Because that defeats the purpose of a modded vapochill. Thats basically like buying a Mercedes SL55 AMG with no engine. Yeah it looks great in the garage, but your not going anywhere with it.

I would just like to make that clear. Jin did exactly what he said he was gonna do:

1. Decrease noise of the unit significantly.
2. Decrease temperature across the board from 5 to 15 degrees depending on how my new compressor reacted.

He accomplished both of those goals and I am extremely happy. I mean theoretically even Jin stated, unless you have the European Compressor it will be extremely hard to tune a Vapo case to -40*C @ 180watts. Jin said in all of his work he has only produced one unit with that spec.

And by myself doing some research after Green Maji initially made that statement about load tuning I have gathered other modded vapos(both US and Euro compressors) by various builders producing from -30*C all the way up to -47*C at 150w load. Average seems to be about -39*C so I feel that my 150w load temp of -38.4*C is ample for my Conroe setup.

Thanks for the props man I appreciate it. :beer:

PS- Green, if youre reading. I still love you bro. :)

dominick32 said:
PS- Green, if youre reading. I still love you bro. :)

ROFL :beer:

I just noticed something a little different about your unit, and asked ;)

Good luck with the unit :D

Dom,

Nice system.

This is a little OT, but...
I'm thinking of purchasing a LS or EXII for a E6700 or X6800. Shooting for 3.6-4Ghz. I currently have my custom DD water using 1/2" and Danner pump cooling a legacy Northwood 3.0 to 3.6.

My concerns is how loud is the stock LS (or EXII)?
C-weighted at 12", I measure 57db on my current system. My danner mag-drive and (5) 120mm panaflo L-model using custom PWM control is faily low frequency air noise. Tolerable. You mentioned your stock LS "leaves your ears ringing" in other posts.

Is the modded LS with the larger compressor noticably quieter? Was it the fan noise that contributed to the LS noise?

My most recent concern was emailed to Asestek. Does the Lian Li pc-6x case or the EXII case have enough clearance for a 8800GTX(11" length)?

I will only use this computer for gaming, graphics, and video so not 24/7 usage.

Thanks in advance.
Sting

EDIT:
Haven't posted in so long... noticed by sig hardware couple generations old. :)

Sting said:
Dom,

Nice system.

This is a little OT, but...
I'm thinking of purchasing a LS or EXII for a E6700 or X6800. Shooting for 3.6-4Ghz. I currently have my custom DD water using 1/2" and Danner pump cooling a legacy Northwood 3.0 to 3.6.

Thanks for the props on the Jin Mod. :beer:

E6600 achieved 3.6 Ghz on stock volts for me simply from temperature drop of stock Vapo LS. So, 3.6 is a joke on phase change, put simply. The Vapo will eat 3.6 ghz and laugh at the processor under load. :bday:

I would say using stock Vapo LS an E6700/X6800 has 4.0 to 4.2 Ghz easily and 4.3 to 4.5 Ghz with a little work and possibly a vcore mod.

Sting said:
My concerns is how loud is the stock LS (or EXII)?
C-weighted at 12", I measure 57db on my current system. My danner mag-drive and (5) 120mm panaflo L-model using custom PWM control is faily low frequency air noise. Tolerable. You mentioned your stock LS "leaves your ears ringing" in other posts.

Is the modded LS with the larger compressor noticably quieter? Was it the fan noise that contributed to the LS noise?
This one is tough to explain over the computer. Well, put it this way: I had my Vapochill LS on the left side of my body about 5 feet away from my left ear. It sounds like a refrigerator, only slightly amplified and constant. When I turn the rig off or left my room I would continue to hear a buzzing sound very familiar to the stock Vapo LS in my left ear. hehe

It also produced a fair amount of heat in the room. And its a pain when you live in an environment prone to quick drops/increases in pressure and humidity. Because if you attempt to open the windows in your room to dissapate some of the Vapo exhaust heat you could create condensation on your mobo and processor. So I guess the stock unit has its flaws: Noise and Heat.

Believe it or not, even under full blast at 2500 rpm, the stock vapo fans were barely audible over the compressor. It is the stock compressor that has the noise issues.

I will be able to give you better noise results once I receive the unit but one of Jins biggest selling points on these Vapo mods are to lower the decibal level substantially. And the larger/more efficient compressor that Jin swaps in actually is the reason for the decrease in noise.

My most recent concern was emailed to Asestek. Does the Lian Li pc-6x case or the EXII case have enough clearance for a 8800GTX(11" length)?

That question I believe either Jin or Asetek should be able to answer.

My opinion on the stock Vapo is that I was definitely not dissapointed with cooling capacity and performance. It was able to hold constant load for 15 hours straight on my e6600 conroe @ 4.14 Ghz and 1.62 vcore without breaking a sweat. The only problems I saw were heat and noise as previously stated.

Good luck and hopefully you do break open the piggy bank soon. Keep me posted.

New Frosty Pic - Thanks to Jin!!

Attachments

• frostyjin.JPG
    frostyjin.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 204
Back