• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8700K Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marjamar

Well been a few days now since I finished my upgrade. I have been trying a few things that didn't really want to work too well with my old setup. Raw power is way up, 2 or 3 times as much I'd say as my old FX-8350 could muster. I am able to notch it up to 5 GHZ with the touch of a button which is very nice. Memory is working without a hitch too, and really so much faster the AMD was capable of in the old days. All in all it's a vast improvement and now all I have to do is consider perhaps a better cooling setup, but amazingly I can run prime torture test, small FFT's for a number of minutes before any real problems. Only did it a couple of times and see temps up around 95°C and decided that's more then high enough and stopped the run. I can run the same thing at 4.7 GHZ and it just stays about 84°C, which seems to keep working that way for at least 15 minutes, about the longest I've let it run.

I have a good 360 rad and dual fan setup, but no place to put it in is smaller case. Given thought to building a stand-alone setup for it, which would be pretty easy to do with a bit of engineering/designing.

We'll see how it goes. Right now I am playing with my newish Samsung Windows Mixed Reality Headset, which really didn't like working with the older setup. Haven't had a problem with it in this new upgraded computer.

Interesting and entertaining stuff.

-Rodger

Thanks for the comments and link guys. Performance is at least twice what I had in all respects. I didn't benchmark anything before the swap, so no real numbers. I think I will design my own vertical mount system for my radiator. I can work with any metals or plastics, or 3D printed as our company has a fab shop. I just need to think how fancy or plain I want to do it. I'll have to get some dripless connectors and flexible 1/2" I.D. tubing - Both of which I'll need to research. This external radiator isn't a high priority, so may be a while before I do this, unless I see I need it right away for some reason.

I will say the MB works very well too. I haven't yet did any overclocking of my own, just the built in overclocks, but it look very full featured. Maybe after the external radiator is up and working, I may do a little bit of overclocking to see what this setup can do. I did a benchmark on the M.2 SSD and it is very fast on this mb. I have a hardware RAID controller for the mechanical hard disks, so they have always been very fast, about the speed of the SSD in fact. I'll give a pic of the (top to bottom) M.2, RAID 10 and RAID 5 drives and the AquaComputer Tuned Gauges too that are built into my desktop. It's nice to have the gauges built in and always available at a glance.

I'll post a bit on the improvements I make back here for any interested.

Thanks again for the replies.

-Rodger

M.2 SSD, RAID 10, RAID 5 benchmark.PNG

Just setting around last night and decided to do a bit of a design on a mount for my 360 radiator. I guess I will be needing something by the looks of things. Figured it would be easiest to just 3D print a base for the 360 rad, to sort of slide into, nothing fancy. My son will print me one today at the shop, so I give it a try. I do need to find some dripless disconnect fittings for the 1/2" I.D. hose I already have here. The case I have, already has holes in the rear for tubing to run through, so I'd like to find a mountable set of fittings to mount to the case and then another set for the 1/2" I.D. hose coming from the rad. Anyone know of something the would work? I figure Koolance will have some and that's makes my internal half-hight res with twin pumps now. I also need to figure out what to do with the 6 fan cables on the rad. Since the fans are controlled by the Aqua Computer installed in my computer, I think I'll just find a plug-in adapter that will take the 6 plugs in and give me a single cable w/plug out. Must be something like that already made I can use.

Here's a pic of the 3D base I designed. 3D usually takes a couple of prints to get it all fitted and working right, but I think it's pretty close to right now. Let me know what you guys think. I'm figuring the rad will just set in it all by itself and hold and balance OK. There's 1" felt pad inserts on the bottom 4 corners not shown in this pic and it should simply set on my desktop without any problem. Any good ideas, let me hear about them. Change is almost inevitable the way I do stuff, HA.

-Rodger 360 Res Base v3.png

Last edited:
Beautiful. That’s pretty badass setup :salute:

And just one push of a button and you’re at 5ghz? I wonder if it’ll do closer to 5.5 under manual control.. it looks like you can pull that heat away as soon as it generates it! I wonder if 5ghz is the new 4ghz :p As always, it’s never enough, and if it is it won’t be for long!

You really should delid that i7-8700K and call it done. I delidded mine and the 100% load temps dropped more than 20C.

5 GHZ = 1 button push on this motherboard. I can tell it's a pretty hot load as the VID is hovering right at 1.410 V. I'll be playing with the tune once I have some decent cooling potential, but I don't really know what this CPU is capable of yet. I do know it is super quick for sure right now, so I am more then happy.

On that Rad 360 base, I have decided to wight it for better tip resistance, so I modded the design just a bit to allow for that.

It's a long print though, so I won't even see it unit tomorrow. Hope it's a clean print.

-Rodger

I've been hearing that term "delidded or delidding", but have never done it before. I suppose I should look at what is involved, but if it voids warranty, I won't want to do it, and I don't see how it wouldn't void a warranty.

-Rodger

5 GHZ = 1 button push on this motherboard. I can tell it's a pretty hot load as the VID is hovering right at 1.410 V. I'll be playing with the tune once I have some decent cooling potential, but I don't really know what this CPU is capable of yet. I do know it is super quick for sure right now, so I am more then happy.

On that Rad 360 base, I have decided to wight it for better tip resistance, so I modded the design just a bit to allow for that.

It's a long print though, so I won't even see it unit tomorrow. Hope it's a clean print.

-Rodger
Likely way too high for the clock that is what auto does most of the time.

Though, wouldn't it make more sense to tweak now since its running hot than with a better cooler? I'd imagine 1.35V or less is in the cards...

Depends. If I were wanting to push for the most stable clock I can find at the highest temps the CPU could hold, that would make good sense. But, generally speaking, I have the best chance of the highest clock, at the lowest temps I can make for the CPU. So, I guess it's really a case of what I am hoping for. Right now, I can't even do a marginal full stress test at this setting. Just too little cooling for that for any real length of time. I can run benchmarks however, so if I keep the stress less then max, it is stable. So, I don't know if it's even viable to attempt to find lowest stable voltage unless I opt to do it without much of any stress testing. I guess it couldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it would help, other then to see how low a voltage I can get this computer to post at and then bump it up a few hairs and perhaps do some benchmarks. I have been away from this stuff for a couple years, except for a bit here and there, so it would be fun to do some, but I about as sharp as a butter knife these days. What I don't want to do is heat this CPU too hot for too long. I have never thought that was a good idea, even when I didn't care if I broke parts.

-Rodger

The VID is 1.410v, so what is the Vcore?

- - - Updated - - -

Depends. If I were wanting to push for the most stable clock I can find at the highest temps the CPU could hold, that would make good sense. But, generally speaking, I have the best chance of the highest clock, at the lowest temps I can make for the CPU. So, I guess it's really a case of what I am hoping for. Right now, I can't even do a marginal full stress test at this setting. Just too little cooling for that for any real length of time. I can run benchmarks however, so if I keep the stress less then max, it is stable. So, I don't know if it's even viable to attempt to find lowest stable voltage unless I opt to do it without much of any stress testing. I guess it couldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it would help, other then to see how low a voltage I can get this computer to post at and then bump it up a few hairs and perhaps do some benchmarks. I have been away from this stuff for a couple years, except for a bit here and there, so it would be fun to do some, but I about as sharp as a butter knife these days. What I don't want to do is heat this CPU too hot for too long. I have never thought that was a good idea, even when I didn't care if I broke parts.

For stress test the safe limit is 90c.

Sounds *** backwards. :)

Manually setting vcore seems in order now due to the board setting that voltage so high on auto.

Andy brought me the 3D printed base for the 360 rad and it is very close to right. Just a bit more slop then I like to the fit, but it absolutely works and looks like I was hoping it would. Andy took a couple of photos for me and figured I'd show this off a little bit. I think I may spray some RUST-OLEUM Hammered Black on it to make a more uniform finish to it.

-Rodger rad3603.jpg rad360 4.jpg

Found some time today to more or less test this new 360 rad and fan setup. I have some more stuff coming in to let me actually do it properly, but some of it not for a week or more before it gets here. But, so far looks very promising. No real issues to speak of and very much cooler, even a 5 Ghz and Prime95 small FFT's torture test. Seen temps spike up to 90 a few time on a 10 minute test, but mostly in the low 80's. I do see the CPU is throttling back to as much as 4.7GHz, but I've not done any "real" overclocking yet, so I can fix that I'm pretty sure. I might do a bit of overclocking even in it's unfinished stage, as this is about how it will be anyways once it is finished, other then cosmetically mostly. I'll post back here when I have some numbers or some questions. Seems to be a good CPU/MB/Memory so far.

-Rodger

Back