• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Upgrades - Need to choose a CPU/Mobo HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJTheGamer

So I'm currently trying to overclock my i7 975 Extreme, running on a DFI Lanparty x58 board, with 12gbs RAM (I'll update properly with detailed specs later)

At first I was looking to just get a few upgrades, but as I've gone along I've realised for one reason or another most of will have to change eventually.

First things first is the Graphics Card, tho my troubles with overclocking thus far have been heat (when its worked) so cooling is high on my list since its stock, and this is the main area I don't really know anything about.

So heres what I've got lined up to eventually take over what I've got now.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Corsair 760T Black ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply:
Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

--

Obviously some parts might change come time of purchase, but at the moment thats looking at around 1800AUD, and I'd be looking to buy it in like $300 chunks at a time. Trying to save as much money as I can really at the moment, while building a pretty powerful machine.

So thoughts? Suggestions? Cooling advice would be great :)

Should be a pretty strong machine for the most part. Lot of good parts. I've heard for the 8350 the h100i would be a lot better choice. Especially if you plan to overclock.

Unless you're doing a lot of video rendering or have a software that'll use all that ram I would drop down to 8 gig and save some cash. You should also consider G.Skill vs the Corsair. It just seem to get along better with the FX. With the board just make sure it's a revision 4.
I would also consider upping that cooler to the 100i. The H80i isn't much better if at all than an air cooler.

The problem I have with the H100i is that I don't think it will fit in my current case :p (Antec Nine Hundred Two v2)

I was hoping to get the H80i and possibly use it in a smaller build down the line, and buy a H100i when I purchase the new case I mentioned in the list above. But if you say the H80i is barely better than an air cooler...

So for the size I guess whats the best option for coolers thats around the same size/fit as the H80i? Pretty sure I'd have to mod my case for the H100i which I just couldnt be bothered doing lol

To me your totally wasting your money. I read your other threads.

#1 you need to replace stock cooler. Either just get an 212 or a nice AIO. Up to you, if you go AIO water cooling you may have to look at replacing the case. If you want a new case then great, if you don't just save the money and get the 212 but make sure you got good fans and air flow.

Once you fix that your chip will do 4Ghz+ all day everyday in its sleep. Once you crank it up to that its as good or better than the FX-8350.

The 6x2GB ram is a bit of a beetch on the memory controller but don't see it worthwhile replacing it.

I don't know what your current PSU is, but if its a 500+ bronze or better that you've had no issues with just keep it. You don't list your current storage setup anywhere. SSD or just physical?

Put your money into the GPU and a nice 24-27" monitor, maybe 1440P or 144hz. I'd look at a GTX 770 4GB.

To me the timing is bad to go from a i7 to an AMD build right now. If you want an AMD build wait for new socket with some future to it.

Going from a 975 to a 8350 is not much of an upgrade actually:

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=99

That's @stock clocks.

As said in your other thread, you sure can do 4.2/4.3GHz with a decent cooler on your i7, which is a 25/30% increase.

Don't expect going beyond 4.7/4.8GHz with a 8350, unless you go custom water (and that's not even sure 100%), that's a 18/20% increase.

Assuming you're gaming, I believe the smart choice would be to grab a better GPU (780, 780ti, r9 290 or 290x), a good cooler (NH-D14, phanteks ph-tc14pe ) and OC to 4.2/4.3GHz.

Last edited:
I've found two of those 212s the EVO and the X, one has 'sleeve bearings' whats the difference.

I'll admit you put forward a far cheaper option, more of a quick fix that gets my own PC going and lets me then focus on another build for a different purpose.

No SSD at the moment, I know that as well would make a difference.

Still not sure about the graphics card tho, the price difference is pretty bad between, and I read good things about AMD cards, I guess would make sense to go all out if I keep the i7 tho..

EDIT - looking at that comparison I really do have no reason to leave the i7 for now. I guess its focus on a cooler for now :p

I don't think a 212 EVO will be much good on a 6 core Gulftown CPU. Get at least a Noctua NHD14. Seriously. Or even consider changing cases so you can accomodate a 240mm radiator (ie, H100i).

You should keep your current CPU and work on overclocking it with a better CPU cooler.

Which DFI Lanparty X58 board specifically do you have? You can read it with (I think HWmonitor? or is it CPU-Z...)

I googled and found at least 3 models. The extreme seems to have 8 phase VRM but the others only had 6.

Well I've ordered a 212 EVO so we'll soon find out, I'm not too worried it was reasonably cheap and if its not effective I'm sure I can use it on something else.

DFI Lanparty x58 i think thats the right model, not at the PC right now to check.

If I can achieve some increase with the 212 EVO I'll be happy for now, and focus on the GPU thats in dire need of replacement.

Well not sure whats happened :( If I damaged something or not but I crashed out with default settings, so I'm guna wait for the new cooler and a good clean out before booting it up again :(

Well, new cooler (CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO) was installed and after more issues, I took the PC to the repair store, and it turns out theres something wrong with my CPU and/or motherboard.

So these components were fine to keep for overclocking, but with them not wanting to overclock (computer keeps restarting when I run Prime, even on stock settings), it seems its time for me to look at the CPU and Motherboard of this upgrade build and lock down the ones I want to buy.

So any suggestions on what to get would be great, more thinking about the overclocking side of things since I know nothing about what CPUs are better for this, as some might look better on paper but perform worse under overclocking, etc. I'd love to hear your thoughts, obviously will be used for gaming, but Photoshop and Illustrator are going to be reasonably heavily used. (as well as a lot of other Adobe programs.)

Hoping to keep the CPU and motherboard combined under $400AU... If you use PCPartPicker.com with region set to Aus, you can help find me parts that are available and in my price range :) Any suggestions welcome as I'm sure I can find it (more boards than CPUs in terms of availability) I'd like to overclock a little for now, get a feel for it, see what I can get with the 212 EVO before advancing myself to some liquid cooling down the line, so a CPU that can perform reasonably well under air with room to improve with liquid would be ideal :)

Look forward to hearing your guys thoughts.

Intel or amd setup? Newegg has a lot of combo deals for under 400. Seen an i4570k and a msi gaming mono last night for 350.

And the have a few amd set ups for less than that

Edit. Guess I should have finished reading that last part. Not sure how much that would be aus but I'll check.

Generally with the US sites, the shipping works out to be around 40-100 depending on the ammount of items and the shipping chosen, so depending on the combo, I might be able to order it on there or find it for around the same price on here.

At this time I'm not decided on AMD or Intel, price would probably lean towards AMD, but it depends on what everyone on here has to say about overclocking potential, as some of the cheaper Intels might overclock better than some of the more expensive AMDs.

You need to avoid shipping costs as much as possible and buy as local as you can so much of it will depend on what you can get at a good price.

You really want a 4690K+Z97. If you go AMD, a good mb is very expensive especially for your area. Your going to have to deal with high power high heat and almost no future upgrade options. Your looking at closer to $500 though for that combo there, for an Asrock Extreme 4. There are some cheaper boards, the Asrock Z97 Anniversary would put you close to your budget and it can do some OC'ing.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I think local is definitely the way to go, the prices aren't too far off the US, so if I buy from US adding the shipping doesn't really work out well.

I don't mind the look of the 4690K, I'm wondering how it compares to the i7s, its my birthday soon so I might be able to push it a little over budget, is it worth possibly investing in something a little higher up than a 4690K?

In terms of the AMD how much extra heat are we talking? And why is it so limiting in future upgrades?

I like the look of the z97 Anniversary, I was trying to go green, but its a pretty nice board in the blue, starting to make me rethink my colour choice :p

BTW the link didn't work properly :)

Because current AMD sockets are old, end of life, and being pushed hard to provide enough power. Don't think there are any newer CPU's for AM3+ so an FX 9590 will be as good as it will get and its 220W. Get ample cooling and a GOOD mb which will cost you it will be a good system. Not sure if its got much headroom for OC'ing.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/hcRKK8

As far as the i5 vs i7, I never noticed much difference in the past. Unless you are doing stuff daily that needs the cores you likely won't either.

What kinda programs really use the cores? I use Photoshop and Illustrator almost daily, tho what I'm doing in there often varies. Rendering images into vector started to become a little slow on my current PC...

Sounds like I should be going Intel, although they go through sockets so quickly :(

What you've selected really falls perfectly into my budget, would be interested if anyone else has an alternative opinion. Hopefully be ordering this stuff in the next week or so, so I can get to saving for my PSU and GPU upgrades. Thanks for the replies Daleon :)

I did make some suggestions earlier on and the 8 core FX is good a video work. I would swap the motherboard for a Sabertooth R2 and the cooler for the swiftec h220x in your build list and you would have a decent FX system with room for overclocking.

You can open task manager to the performance tab to monitor your core usage when performing intensive tasks.

Back