• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a new video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Squadfer

Hello fellow overclockers, Im currently in the market for a new video card as my 6870 with 1gb vram is starting to struggle at 1440p gaming. I am finding myself having to turn down my settings on bf3, skyrim (heavily modded) and a few more games just so I wont get stuttering. I have been running afterburner on a seperate screen so I can monitor my fps which im averaging 20-35 fps and it will dip down to 5-9fps. I have a price range of 200-350$, I would rather stay closer to the 250-325 range unless the extra 25 bucks will really make a difference. With saying that, I have been looking at the 7950 and the 760 (im not a fanboy for either). I do understand the 760 is just a rebadged 670-680 but for the price of the 2gb version, it is very tempting. I will be giving the cards a slight over clock to gain a few extra fps. My question is, which one is the better price/performance of the two?

Last edited:
Your best performers in that range will be the NVIDIA GTX 760 or Radeon HD 7950. I'd lean toward the NVIDIA because their drivers are arguably better.

Squadfer: If your planing to up grade the at least try to get a new card with either 3GB or 4GB GDDR5 Vram. The reason is simple if you playing @ a Res of 1440p this will help you frame rates and if they make the games anymore intense you will not have to go out and buy again! AJ. ;) :shrug:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161429

Maybe this one looks a strong contender, Discounted and Free Shipping as well!

Sorry i forgot to mention you need to look for cards with a 384 bit Interface as well, instead of the usual 256 bit as this is now getting old Tech!!

Last edited:
Alright, going to be stepping up to the 7970. The 770 along with the 7970ghz are both above my budget. I am currently going over reviews to see which ones have a overall better chance for overclocking abilities.

+1 for ATMINSIDE just look at this as it will explain the amount of Vram needed for today's games in most cases more is better for the future! AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718118

This may be a old thread but it still has value today, but personely i think things have moved on and 3GB to 4GB plus 384 Bit is the new Tech of today!

I would look at this with the VAPOR=X Cooler and it still overclocks well, but its 6 of one or 6 of the other. So your choice OP???

2, http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-D...ess-11196-09-40G/dp/B009MML1UA/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Last edited:
+1 for ATMINSIDE just look at this as it will explain the amount of Vram needed for today's games in most cases more is better for the future! AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718118

This may be a old thread but it still has value today, but personely i think things have moved on and 3GB to 4GB plus 384 Bit is the new Tech of today!

Unless you're still at 1080p, then 2GB will suffice for a while.

Correct but the OP is running 1440p!!!

Your welcome my friend!

Last edited:
Like me...I just bought a 770 and hope I don't regret it. I was trying to decide between a 770 and a 7970/ghz. It seems the 770 beat the 7970 and was almost identical to the ghz edition, both going 1 for 1.

I really hope I don't regret it, I don't think I will use 3 or 4gb though.

Received my 7970 this morning, so far I'm very happy with it. Have not messed with overclocking yet. currently running skyrim all maxxed out, with hd res texture mods and i'm seeing a constant 50+ fps ultilizing 2.2gb memory at 1440p resolution. This is much improved over my 5-9fps that my old 6870 provided inside towns... bf3 maxxed out provided 58-70 fps at 1440p. :attn:

Thanks again :D

Back