• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice for system build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the second build is what I would suggest. Get a 4670K...who knows ?? In the future, your daughter might want to overclock the CPU. But if she is planning on using the GTX 580, change the PSU. Nvidia recommends 600W but the PSU you listed is 550W. I wouldn't risk it. By the way, GTX 580 is pretty old and power hungry. You can get a GTX 770 and it'll run cooler, quieter than the GTX 580. Even the power requirements will be a lot less and performance will be a lot more than the GTX 580.

check out the gtx 770 here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500301

Here check out the comparison between GTX 580 and GTX 770 at Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/767?vs=829

Something to consider. Thank you. Power estimate needs are usually exaggerated I think by video card manufacturers but they probably need to do that to cover those situations where individuals bought a cheap no name <600W PSU that actually puts out half of its rated power when you are talking continuous power rather than peak power. But a little more wattage margin might be smart. The GTX 580 was given to her so she will be going with that component for the foreseeable future I think.

Last edited:
Something to consider. Thank you. Power estimate needs are usually exaggerated I think by video card manufacturers but they probably need to do that to cover those situations where individuals bought a cheap no name <600W PSU that actually puts out half of its rated power when you are talking continuous power rather than peak power. But a little more wattage margin might be smart. The GTX 580 was given to her so she will be going with that component for the foreseeable future I think.

Just remember Haswell pulls jack all worth of wattage. Maybe 80w fully pegged under an oc. Remembering that the tdp of the CPUs includes the igp. So without them they're ridiculously power efficient. The 580 averagely uses 230w if I remember right. You'd never surpass 350w at any given gaming scenario (this is giving it room to breathe too). The 550w is plenty.

Heck I'll be putting a 4770k and a gtx 670(maybe 780 one day or equivalent) on a Silverstone 450w gold sfx psu when I move into my itx rig. I wouldn't be worried.

Good point. Didn't think about the fact that the IGP will be bypassed.

Good point. Didn't think about the fact that the IGP will be bypassed.

Talking about the IGP, if the motherboard supports Lucid Virtu MVP and your daughter installs that software, it'll make both the IGP and GTX 580 work together in certain applications and games. So if you totally want to bypass the IGP, don't install the HD Drivers and the Lucid Virtu Software. And the 550W PSU should be alright for the 580 although the Corsair TX 650 PSU would still be my choice. :)

Talking about the IGP, if the motherboard supports Lucid Virtu MVP and your daughter installs that software, it'll make both the IGP and GTX 580 work together in certain applications and games. So if you totally want to bypass the IGP, don't install the HD Drivers and the Lucid Virtu Software. And the 550W PSU should be alright for the 580 although the Corsair TX 650 PSU would still be my choice. :)

The Seasonic is a far better made unit Lol. But meh. Just preference here.

As for the Lucid Virtu. I tried it once and found it made my games a little glitchy... I'd get a lot of micro stutters. That was a while ago though.. But I prefer to just stick with the dedicated card. Even if you install the software though you need to enable in the bios first. And also you can still turn it off in the software regardless. Worth trying I guess.

As for the Lucid Virtu. I tried it once and found it made my games a little glitchy... I'd get a lot of micro stutters. That was a while ago though.. But I prefer to just stick with the dedicated card. Even if you install the software though you need to enable in the bios first. And also you can still turn it off in the software regardless. Worth trying I guess.

Yup....I totally agree with you...Lucid Virtu has more disadvantages....HyperFormance causes lots of flickering and stuttering issues but Virtual VSync is helpful. I just keep it enabled since my ASRock Extreme4 supports it (Enabled in the BIOS by default). As for the games which have issues, I simply remove it from the application list. And the Seasonic PSU is no doubt excellent (I think its the OEM of Corsair).

THe PSu you listed is strong enough: it has a 45A 12v rail (540w).

Even if she overclocks CPU and GPU to the stars, it will be no probem.

Back