• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help in my first RAID Matrix Array.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_3mp3ror_

Hi and glad to be here.
I had in my system a 300GB velociraptor, once that died after 1 year, I decided to make a raid system.
My MB is P5Q-E it has the ich10r and the Sil5723 chipset.

I bought 3 drives but I will buy a fourth one to make a 128 GB Raid 0 volume and a ~ 1,08 TB RAID 10 partition. I currently have a RAID 5 which I is useless for me. I did two power tests cutting the power to the PC while it copied to every partition on it. The system was ok but it took 6 hours to initialize the RAID 5 array.

So my current setup is for now: 3 x WD6401AALS and 1 x WD6400AAKS that Is for backup.

So here are my questions:
1. When I make a Matrix array out of 4 drives. The first volume will be raid0 and second raid 10.
- if the RAID 0 partition should fail what will I do then ?
- what about a disk fail ? can I access the backup data from another OS ?
2. What backup software works good with a RAID setup ?
3. Can I use it to put the resulting backup onto 1 single non-raid disk ?
5. Some people reported having problems with version 8.9 of Intel Matrix's Manager for Windows. Did you have any problems with 8.9 ?
6. Regarding TLER setting - apparently I can not set this on the ICH10R chipset with the BLACK Caviar's - there is no problem with WD6400AAKS-
Is there another way to enable this ?
7.Finally
Allocation unit/Partition offset/Stripe size:
- for first volume I am thinking - 4K/256K/128K
- for second volume (data, movies, music, downloads) -32K/256K/128K
7.1 With what software can I offset a partition ?
- I know how to resize the cluster but what about the partition, does it mean that I simply leave a 256K gap of unallocated space on the beginning of each partition ?

Thanks in advance to those who had the patience to read this and help me out.

Regards.

This forum is kind of quiet.
I found the info I was looking for (most of it) so this topic can be closed.

Back