• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking my AMD FX-8320? -New Here-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
good ram is a crucial element of a good system, it will make or break it, if i was going to go to ryzen in what ever series cpu id make sure id have the "good " B-Die ram, 3200 at least with nice cas timings, sure it costs, but the benefits from it will make up for it, same as any system build, ram is key to their performance :)

Daniel how are you overclocking? Your 1st screen shot the Memory is at 800 Mhz the second its at 1866, I'm curious why.
If you're voltage is set at 1.425 in the second pic then you're getting some pretty good voltage droop under load.

Stable for my 24/7 system is 2 hours Occt or Prime 95 or 4 Hours of Aida 64 and real bench.
As far as my overclocking goes I will start to test for stability with the Fx 8xxx usually around 4 gig. Once I pass 2 hours if I'm looking for a rock solid setup. I will usually do this, raise the Cpu multiplier .5 on and then test again, If I pass rinse and repeat. If I fail I add voltage until I pass or reach my max temps. Then I usually work on dialing in a memory Oc.

If I had hands on your setup I would Set the multiplier at 4.0 set the Cpu Voltage manually at 1.40, set the memory to 1866 mhz, the Ht link to 2600 Mhz the Nb freq to 2400 Mhz the Dram Voltage to 1.65 v and stress test it prime blend 2 hours. Keep the temps below 62 on the Cpu and it will give you a base to start on.

good ram is a crucial element of a good system, it will make or break it, if i was going to go to ryzen in what ever series cpu id make sure id have the "good " B-Die ram, 3200 at least with nice cas timings, sure it costs, but the benefits from it will make up for it, same as any system build, ram is key to their performance :)

Sorry this just isn't true. B-Die will not "make or break" a system. In fact the difference will probably go unnoticed in anything but synthetic benchmarks. Sure you wan't something that will run at least 3200MHz, but after that you start reaching diminishing returns. This is especially true with a 2000 series CPU and 4 series chipset, but even one recent poster has been able to run his memory at 3200MHz with a 1000 series CPU on a very limited motherboard.

I mean sure, if you're building a top of the line system with the best components, then get the B-die, they are the best. But if you're gaming and have a budget, for example, the benefit of putting the extra $50-$100 towards a nicer GPU will be much more substantial.

When I built my system I was worried about being held back by ICs and purchased B-die. I don't regret it, it's fun to be able to run 3600Mhz CL14 for benchmarks, but is it the best economical advice? I doubt it. Is it necessary to run 3200MHz or have good gaming performance? Nope. I had posters like Woomack and Johan45 correct me on this a few times when I was giving system advice.

It's like anything else, you wouldn't put a 9900K in a H310 motherboard, and you woulnd't put B-die in a budget system.

Sorry this just isn't true. B-Die will not "make or break" a system. In fact the difference will probably go unnoticed in anything but synthetic benchmarks. Sure you wan't something that will run at least 3200MHz, but after that you start reaching diminishing returns. This is especially true with a 2000 series CPU and 4 series chipset, but even one recent poster has been able to run his memory at 3200MHz with a 1000 series CPU on a very limited motherboard.

I mean sure, if you're building a top of the line system with the best components, then get the B-die, they are the best. But if you're gaming and have a budget, for example, the benefit of putting the extra $50-$100 towards a nicer GPU will be much more substantial.

When I built my system I was worried about being held back by ICs and purchased B-die. I don't regret it, it's fun to be able to run 3600Mhz CL14 for benchmarks, but is it the best economical advice? I doubt it. Is it necessary to run 3200MHz or have good gaming performance? Nope. I had posters like Woomack and Johan45 correct me on this a few times when I was giving system advice.

It's like anything else, you wouldn't put a 9900K in a H310 motherboard, and you woulnd't put B-die in a budget system.

i was meaning ram in general, not just for this system , ( that the op is thinking about going to) so ill correct you again, good ram is crucial to your system is what i meant by my post, not going for 1 particular system for b-die, as far as im aware of b-die ram is ddr 4 not for ddr3, so ill correct you again there, if you dont beleive that well i cant do anything about that, many will tell you the same that know what ram, GOOD ram will do for your results :), gaming performance and benching performance are 2 different cups of tea, sure if you want gaming then you are looking for an all rounder, well performanced, with not such the higher cost as really good benching ram is, benching different , you want the highest it can do, either way my point stands, with out good ram for either wont give you the results your looking for and be good and benefit either platform you choose , whether be ddr 1 -2-3-4-, gaming or benching :)

Last edited:
You can "correct me" all you'd like. I think it was pretty obvious I was quoting a post with the terms "B-die", "ryzen" and "3200" all in the same sentence and thus referring to DDR4. It can be hard to follow, the OP has asked questions about OCing his FX build, as well as some components for a future build to replace the FX. Furthermore the OP has mentioned a budget of $500, so there will definitely be some sacrifices made if he spends the money on expensive ram.

Yes we can all agree that the OP shouldn't put the cheapest sticks of 2133MHz in the system, but you're giving inaccurate advice indicating that b-die is crucial to performance in this hypothetical build, then backing up and saying "oh wait, this thread is about FX, that's DDR3." Come on.

For the OP, if you have any questions about what ram to buy when the time comes, just PM Johan45 or Woomack.

Last edited:
You can "correct me" all you'd like. I think it was pretty obvious I was quoting a post with the terms "B-die", "ryzen" and "3200" all in the same sentence and thus referring to DDR4. It can be hard to follow, the OP has asked questions about OCing his FX build, as well as some components for a future build to replace the FX. Furthermore the OP has mentioned a budget of $500, so there will definitely be some sacrifices made if he spends the money on expensive ram.

Yes we can all agree that the OP shouldn't put the cheapest sticks of 2133MHz in the system, but you're giving inaccurate advice indicating that b-die is crucial to performance in this hypothetical build, then backing up and saying "oh wait, this thread is about FX, that's DDR3." Come on.

For the OP, if you have any questions about what ram to buy when the time comes, just PM Johan45 or Woomack.

i wasnt giving ill advice at all, its my opinion over many goes at it, i dont need to pm anyone to know what ram works well and what doesnt, i was originally talking about fx , others brought in the different system, i dont care, the ram specifics stay the same, garbage ram means garbage results whatever the system used is my point

and further more .dont try to troll me you will LOSE !!!!!:)

Last edited:
Okay GUYS....Remember that the OP is a New Guy (Great Movie :) ) and is asking questions. Several of us are giving him (TMI) Too Much Information, that is not needed right now. Just keep it simple :thup:

cool by me mate, all i did was try to be helpful if i could. maybe said it wrong, maybe it was taken wrong, premise was is it was for the right reasons !!:)

Daniel,

If you can pass Prime95 for two hours you can be confident that you are stable for your purposes. If you can't pass the two hour test then add .01 more to the vcore and you should be good to go.

Alright so I bumped the vcore up to 1.4375 and ran P95, couple minutes in and two of the workers stopped, Worker #6 says "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 1.024652847, expected less than 0.4"
Worker #5 says the same thing except the number is 0.4837624857.

Before pushing the vcore up like you suggested I had 4 workers stop pretty soon into the torture test.

Should I go down to 4.4 ghz or try bumping the vcore up one more time?

Highest it got was 52c but I didn't let it run very long because of the workers stopping. It was only testing for maybe 5 minutes.

That's getting around the threshold of instability and I believe your temp sensors may be off just a tad, it's not uncommon to see them off the actual by a few degrees. It's also based on the individual chip itself, some will tolerate temperatures better than others like it is with all other chips in general.

I believe if you can somehow shave a few C worth of temp you'll have better success in what you are trying to accomplish, even just 2 C or so could make all the difference based on the settings used for your testing. I don't know how strong the fans are with your current watercooling setup but perhaps a different set of fans for the radiator with a little higher CFM rating might tip the balance in your favor.

I also don't know how old your current setup is, I'd just make sure the rad is clean with no dust & debris buildup in the fins to impede airflow through it to maximize cooling efficiency.
If anything I'd check that first and be sure there is no obstruction to said airflow through the fins.

Based of that temp, I would set your vcore to 1.4v and not touch it, and dial your OC to whatever you get stable to those volts.

Back