• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help setting up an aircooling system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

I currently have virtually no cooling; I'm afraid my system is going to overheat on me this summer. I want to create a system that is both cool and quiet. It doesn't have to be a silent system, but I would like it to be fairly quiet. Can you recommend me case fans, a good quiet HSF, and a quiet powersupply? I really appreciate your help. Here's my setup so you can get a good idea of what my heat output is, and what kind of cooling my case allows for.

Thanks so much for your time,
-Jonathan.

Case: MAXTOP Signature CSX-147K2F
CPU: Desktop Barton 2500 333 MHZ FSB w/stock HSF running at stock speed
Mobo: Soltek NFORCE2 SL-75MRN-L
RAM: 512MB (2X256MB) PC3200 Corsair XMS
PSU: SPARKLE FSP350-60BT 350W
Vid. Card: Radeon 9500 softmodded@9700
Drives: Generic 16X DVD Drive, NEC 2500A DVD-RW/+RW, 120GB Western Digital 8 MB cache version

Last edited:
My system uses 1x80mm exhaust, 2x80mm intake, 1x92mm CPU fan, the power supply has 120mm fan, all keeps my system 32C for normal usage in a 80F room. It's about 28db so very quiet. My rig's specs are below, all inside the Lian-Li PC-60.

FSBxtreme said:
My system uses 1x80mm exhaust, 2x80mm intake, 1x92mm CPU fan, the power supply has 120mm fan, all keeps my system 32C for normal usage in a 80F room. It's about 28db so very quiet. My rig's specs are below, all inside the Lian-Li PC-60.

The only thing is that I'd prefer not to have to buy a new case. I will if I am forced to, but only as a last resort. I'm going to try looking at the newegg reviews for the case.

-Jonathan.

From what I looked at, your case seems to have a good airflow. There are more exhaust fans than intake. How's this case treating you?

if you're not adverse to a little modding then a cpu duct would be a good idea.

does your motherboard have the four mounting holes around the cpu?

subtotal said:
if you're not adverse to a little modding then a cpu duct would be a good idea.

does your motherboard have the four mounting holes around the cpu?

Don't know, I'll have to take a look.
My mobo is a Soltek SL-75MRN-L.

FSBxtreme said:
From what I looked at, your case seems to have a good airflow. There are more exhaust fans than intake. How's this case treating you?

It has decent airflow, which is why my system hasn't melted down yet. I took out the case fans I was using because they were too noisy. I need new ones that are quieter. Not to mention a quieter HSF and PSU. I think that I will get variable fans so that I can turn them down when I'm just listening to music and up when I want to do something more CPU-intensive.

Something is fishy with Neweggs photo gallery of your case.
In the shot of the case backplane it shows one 120mm fan hole, yet in the other photos there seem to be two 80mm's.

What do you have?

The newegg pics do show 2 different backplanes the 120mm and the 2-80mm. Which one do you have? One big step towards better airflow is to cut those fan grills out to allow more airflow, both front and back. You can install fingerguard grills to save your digits. I like panaflo fans. If you don't mind modding, I would agree with ducting your CPU HS fan to the side of the case. If not you could cut a bigger hole in the side and install a 92mm, or 120mm intake fan where the 80mm is currently.

troutbumoh said:
The newegg pics do show 2 different backplanes the 120mm and the 2-80mm. Which one do you have? One big step towards better airflow is to cut those fan grills out to allow more airflow, both front and back. You can install fingerguard grills to save your digits. I like panaflo fans. If you don't mind modding, I would agree with ducting your CPU HS fan to the side of the case. If not you could cut a bigger hole in the side and install a 92mm, or 120mm intake fan where the 80mm is currently.

I have the 2-80mm one. I am not adverse to modding, but I might have to get some help, because I am not too handy.

Back