• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help picking a card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AaronMK

I have a Gateway GT5428 that has these specs:

Processor Intel® Pentium® D 935 (Dual Core) 64-bit processor with EM64T Technology
•Each core operates at 3.20 GHz
•2 × 2 MB L2 cache
•800 MHz front side bus

Chipset Intel 945G
Memory •Installed: 1024 MB DDR2, 533 MHz, (PC4200) dual channel memory (two 512 MB DIMMs)
•Expandable to: 2 GB (two DDR2 DIMM slots)

Add-in Card Slots •One PCI Express ×16 (graphics interface)
•One PCI Express ×1
•Two PCI conventional
Hard Drive 250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive
Support for up to two hard drives

I realize that this is an old machine and that there are far better offerings available,but I am trying to raise a family on a soldiers salary so there is not much left to play with.I would appreciate any input from those in the know.I realize that I will need to upgrade my power supply since it is the stock 300 watt one that came with the machine so I have alredy set aside some money for that.I would like a card that has an hdmi output so that I can hook it to my television that is a 32 inch emerson lcd withh 720p,it was the 250 dollar one at the walmart black friday sale.I would like for the card to be capable of playing h.264,x.264,and mkv files.I also would like for the card to be able to run the dolphin emulator so that I can play gamecube games such as mario kart double dash,and would even like to try wii games if it would handle it.I don't really care about whether its an ati or nvidia card.I can spend between 100-200 on this and would like to have you guys input as I know that this is something that you deal with,and frankly I am just so busy that I almost don't have the time to do the proper research as to how to best spend my 200 dollars to get the desired results,I would like to avoid upgrading the processor to a C2D if at all possible (is it really worth it for what I am doing anyway?),but I am open to adding a stick or two of ram if you guys think that would help.Am I better off with a card that is one or two generations old, but is a higher end card?Or should I be looking at the new generation mid level cards,or is my system going to bottleneck these cards?Any and all help/input is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance to all that reply.

what resolution will you be looking to game at?

the dolphin emulator needs allot of cpu power to run smooth getting anything over 100dollar card will yield the same results (for the time being) because your bottle neck lies in your cpu since the emulation is cpu intensive....dolphin will run on your cpu though i just cant say with certainty wat fps youll be getting or if it'll be an enjoyable experience for you.

Ive read mixed opinions on framerates with a pentium D some as low as 5 fps some as high as in the 30's with that said i dont know if youll be comfortable gaming at such speeds

even so i would recommend this little card
(especially if you can find it used)since its within you budget or the card that bobnova provided above any of those should handle the video output you desire on your tv

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102824

You might want to consider a cheaper card and a beefier CPU, Pentium D's are dual core P4s, which aren't known for their high horsepower. I don't know how new of a CPU will work in your mobo though.

yeah i would recommend the same but seeing as his comp is oem gateway im skeptical as to what cpu's he would be able to support if hes willing to buy used 200 is workable to make an upgrade...... retail im not so sure about

Last edited:
The motherboard is a Intel D945GCL,it is supposed to support a C2D,here are the C2D's that it is supposed to support with no problems:

E6700 2.66 GHz 4 MB 1066 MHz
E6420 2.13 GHz 4 MB 1066 MHz
E6400 2.13 GHz 2 MB 1066 MHz
E4700 2.60 GHz 2 MB 800 MHz
E4600 2.40 GHz 2 MB 800 MHz
E4500 2.20 GHz 2 MB 800 MHz
E4300 1.80 GHz 2 MB 800 MHz

I have a few questions as far as upgrading the cpu,my main concern is I don't want to throw good money after bad as I know how quickly cpu's are outdated.

1.Is the core 2 duo still a pretty decent processor?

2.I realize that there are much newer processors available,so insteasd of spending say 150 dollars on the e6700 for my board,would I be gaining much of an advantage to spend a little more and buy a new motherboard/cpu combo,something like these listed below,and use it with the parts that I have now HD,ram,case,etc

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.352624

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.348689

3.If there is an advantage to be had doing this what kind of percentage over upgrading what I have to the e 6700 C2D is there?

4.Is there a gain to be had from upgrading the processor I have to the e4300,or e4500 C2D processors,and if so how much percentage wise?

5.What would be the difference going percentage wise going from the e4300 to the e6700?

6.I can buy the e4300 for around 50 dollars or the e6700 for around 150,is it worth the extra money or would I still have a bottleneck for a card that costs around 150?

7.If I did upgrde to a e6700 with a 150 dollar card,would I be able to play newer pc games like dirt 2?I would also like to have the option for 1080p playback for the future.

8.Does anyone know if I can change the processor witout having to reformat and do a reinstall?

So basically I can spend around 300 dollars for the processor and the card if that is the option that I choose.Really what I'm asking you guys is where is the smart money,in upgrading what I have or buying a new cpu and mobo and using it with what I have?I know these are a ton of questions but I also know that you guys know whats up and have the ansewers for them too,and I really appreciate you guys helping me because whatever route I decide to take will be because of the advice that you all gave me,so Thank-You.I have also noticed that it looks like they are showing a wattage rating now with the cpu's,does this really mean anything in terms of actual performance?I know a little about electricity as I'm sure you guys do also and I would think that rating cpu's by their wattage would be a little misleading,am I right on this?

A Pentium D with hyperthreading at 4ghz is roughly equal to a core2duo at 2.4ghz.

Back