• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestions on a digital camera...:)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC/ingmaddog

Hey guys.

My dad's birthday is coming up next week and me and my mom plan on buying him a digital camera. She would like to spend around $200, but a little more or less is fine, just not like $250.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Canon A520 and it's bigger brother, the A610. Any thing I should know about these camera's, (pros, cons, things you like, etc.)?

I don't know much about digital camera's but have done a little research in the past few days. Now I know MP aren't the only thing to look at:D, LOL.

So some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the Canon cameras I mentioned above both come with a 16MB SD card which is ungodly small right? I have a $25 gift card to Best Buy so I was thinking I could buy a 512MB SD card there. Would that be enough? At the highest MP (resolution) with a 512MB card I could take a couple hundred photos couldn't I?

Thanks for the help guys.

PS: I'll get a new toy!!:D Plus I will have my own camera to take pictures of my computer hardware for the Classies:D

I like the Canons. A lot of my family members use various Canon P&S cameras, from the A75 up to the A620. I have a 10D myself.

I like the 600 series better - they just feel more comfortable in my hands. But I'd recommend going to a Best Buy or equivalent to try out a few different ones. The 600 series takes 4 (vs 2 for the 500 series) batteries, but they last twice as long.

512MB should do you fine, unless you're thinking about an extended vacation where you won't have a chance to dump it.

You'll probably also want at least one set of AA NiMH batteries (look for 2300mAh or higher capacity), a battery charger, and a case.

Back