• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

needing some assistance with crashing(game)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silversinkbam

SSS's soldier of one
hello all,

So I play COD MW and have recently upgraded my computer.

MSI gaming max mobo
Ryzen 5 3600x (oc to 4.5)
DDR4 3600 16 gig
1 tb m.2
250gig ssd
Geforce RTX 2070 super

so I can play every game I have on max settings, which I something I have never been able to do (mind blown with detail). but when I play COD MW I can play a game or two then the game crashes. always a direct x error of some sort. seen 2 or 3 different numbers. I have all my over lays turned off, my ram is not overclocked. If anyone can help please.

Your overclock is too high and it's unstable. Ryzen 3xxx typically cannot overclock on all cores even to their max turbo speed and you are well beyond that. I think you'll find 4.2 ghz is more realistic.

And you should do some honest stress testing of your overclock to see if it's stable before you try to run games. I suggest OCCT. If you can pass 2 hours of OCCT you are probably stable. Max core voltage when set manually should be about 1.35 volts for 24/7 use.

And you don't mention temps. What are your core temps hitting at max when you stress test. OCCT has built-in temp graphs.

Also, you neglect to say what you are cooling the CPU with.

To be honest, most people find that Ryzen 3xxx CPUs give better performance when gaming if they are left on stock. As I said, to get a stable overclock on all cores you probably won't be able to achieve max turbo speeds. Games are dependent on high single core speed so run it a stock and let her turbo.

To be honest, most people find that Ryzen 3xxx CPUs give better performance when gaming if they are left on stock. As I said, to get a stable overclock on all cores you probably won't be able to achieve max turbo speeds. Games are dependent on high single core speed so run it a stock and let her turbo.

This ^^ for sure

That single core boost can make a big difference in games sometimes even when it’s only a 1-200mhz above the all core boost.

Whilst the 4.5Ghz Overclock could be ok and stable (will need testing) there are not many people that can get an overclock that high, most top out at 4.4 and reaching that extra 100Mhz is often very difficult.

Another thing I would say is that I have had the same errors you have when running the ram in XMP. Even running the ram at the same speed as the XMP but setting everything manually I am fine.

I had this issue too on my previous set up. Asrock formula OC/x5960
I would be able to get through a couple of maps then black screen of death with sound
I eventually ran everything on stock speeds, mostly default settings in the bios
One of the bios settings didn't agree with the game I guess

But since then I upgraded, no problems(knock on wood)

I suppose if you add a cooling system to your impressive build then that might solve the problem.
If still the problem persists then don't overclock the processor beyond permissible limits.

Take care of these two things and you would not face the DirectX error.

Back