• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking Hardware Q's... Need to extend my WiFi Range and other ?'s.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey all,

I realize this is a "Software" Sub-Forum, but I couldn't figure out where else to place it.

For awhile now I've needed to upgrade my home network to better suit the things I need it to do, so I'm coming to you guys for advice on what to purchase, and how to configure it.

Currently, I am on a 5Megabit per second DSL internet service that comes in over the phone line and is recieved on a Siemens Speedstream 4100 Router. That then plugs into the WAN port of a DLink DGL-4500 GamerLounge WiFi router. My main desktop (sig rig) and my wifes desktop are connected via Cat 5e to that router, while all the laptops, cellphones, etc, connect through wireless.

This has worked OK up till now, but the range of the wireless signal is a bit lacking as accessing the network out in the garage is sometimes touch and go.I also don't have any of the media / file sharing provisions I'd like to have.

What I want to do then is completely rebuild my network to meet the following needs...

1) I need a media server. A central location that all downloaded media can be accessed by ANY capable device.

2) I need that media server to somehow connect to the Reciever / TV in my Home Theatre... Ideally... I'd love to be able to figure out how to stream my satellite (Dish Network) to any connected device also, but I don't know if that technology exists.

3) I need a good firewall. Up till now I've been utilizing the standard Windows Firewall software, and whatever firewall is configured in my router from the manufacturer.

4) I want to be able to access and edit via GUI (not command line) any and all files on any computer on the network. As in... Say I have my homework stored on the storage drive (not a default shared folder) of my laptop in the garage, and I need it on my main desktop in the office.... Ideally, I'd have stored it on some type of NAS solution, but... Stuff happens.

5) Wireless range must be able to reach all corners of my property without letting the neighbors jack my bandwidth.

So lets hear what you guys can help me come up with hardware and software wise to suit all these needs as well as any other need ya'll can think of that I haven't...

Thanks!

-David

I can see this splitting into two parts:

(A)
- A machine that works as firewall (using a Linux or BSD operating system) and file server.
- Have all machines either (i) use a shared folder on that file server for all documents or (ii) frequent syncs to that folder; this would allow you to reach the documents from any machine on the network.
- Put all your media on a network share and have an HTPC access it.

(B)
- Network hardware - a good modem, plugged into your server/firewall box/
- A good router plugged into another ethernet port on the *nix box.
- Perhaps wireless access points, cabled to the router, at each end of the house?

A lot of this depends on:
(i) How much do you want to spend?
(ii) Are you scared to cable your house up? :)

Hope this helps.

OK... Awesome...

To answer your questions...

I don't mind spending a decent chunk of change as long as this is done right. No budget perse... But I plan to be here for at least 5 more years, so it'll be worth the effort and expense to do the job right.

I'm not "scared" to cable the house up, but lets try to keep runs to a minimum... I'm a big guy with a house on a small (short in height) crawl space and attic... So any cable runs that need to be made will have to be made by either a professional, or a friend I can bribe with beer to crawl into dark damp places! LOL

To answer the next question that I think is coming... My office is currently set in the back far corner of the house. Gimme a few and I'll bust out my ninja paint skills with a drawing. Gotta finish some homework first...

Last edited:
OK...

Well I finally found time to bust out my mad paint skillz to draw a picture of what I need...

BUT... I've been having some problems with my mouse and have needed to order a new one... Can't click and hold to drag out squares and such.

So I've got a new one in the cart at Newegg... BUT... I also need to figure out a quick fix for my wireless range problem at the same time. This is just a temporary solution until I completely rebuild the network the right way.

I'm running the DLink DGL-4500 Router....

Can I just pick up one of these high gain antennas to get a bit better signal out there?

How do these repeaters and range extenders work?...

To me... A repeater halfway in between would be the best way... That way the Laptop can talk to the repeater and the repeater can talk to the router and vice versa.

Let me know if these Range Extenders work the way I'm thinking they do.

I appreciate the help guys... Really.

-David

Anybody got any experience with networking over powerline?

I'm considering just doing that as a quick fix to get internet service out to the garage untill I figure out exactly what I want to do on rebuilding the entire network.

I want to be able to live stream while benching out there... Will Powerline Networking allow me to do that?

I do not personally have experience with powerline networking, but several colleagues of mine have used it with success. That being said, let's go down the list:

1) I've seen several iterations of Media Servers - using a dedicated PC (i.e. Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows Home Server) or utilizing a NAS.

2) Either Media solution should be able to connect to your television / home theatre so long as you have a media extender, such as an XBOX.

3) What are you looking to do with this firewall? For many people, the firewall that comes with a home router is just fine. Is there anything that you are looking to accomplish with another firewall that your current solution isn't providing?

4) +1 for a NAS solution here

5) You can do a few things for wireless range. Either a high gain antenna, or you can setup wireless bridging (taking two or more wireless routers and bridging them together) which will extend the range. To keep your neighbors off your wireless network, using WPA-PSK2 with AES encryption is pretty standard now, and will keep them off.

@ David - I wouldn't recommend making a file server and firewall as the same device.

For number 2. There are a few options, but ive only read reviews on some of them. Havent tried any of them yet.

Slingbox, monsoon, Cisco digital media encoders...

Back