• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Never go back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll never go back now, this new PC is just amazing. I didnt quite get the overclock that I wanted but i'm having amazing trouble using all of the CPU power available. 2x Cancer folding, plus Winrar encoding an 800mb set of files, all while playing a film, burning a CD and browsing the Internet. If you get a dual, you'll never go back :D

ill easily go with the obnoctious amount of fans for this power. Dual monitors too.....dual PSU's as well....

I think its safe to say once u go dual ANYTHING u never go back. I cant stand using my backup rig with 1 little monitor.....ill use it while i use my main rig...ill be dragging the mouse all the way over wondering why it doesnt work on the 3rd monitor lol..i need that prog from tech tv that lets me share keyboards and mice.

I had a taste of dual moniters by hooking up my little 5" lcd from my xbox to my pc and I loved it and now when I upgrade my graphics card its definitely going to have dual moniter inputs so i can put that 17" sitting on the floor in the basement to good use(it will be great to play halo on one moniter and do stuff on the other since I have 2 cpus to handle the load).

Now that I've got mine up and running I do truely love it. No longer to running Bit Torrent mean my system is BLAAAAA :bang head .. now I just wish there was something else I can do to it.... but oh well guess i just like to tinker. I can't live without dual monitors,HDs and now CPU's life is good :cool:

I did go back from my duall setup. It was great, but I just don't put enough demands on my system to have the dually. I multi-task a lot, but with programs like word, firefox, excel, thunderbird, and winamp I'm hardly putting a dent in my solo CPU. So I'd say you might go back, especialy if your a hardcore gamer and want absolute FPS...but in terms of workstations that actualy use demanding programs...go dualy and don't look back.

About dual monitors though....yeah you go crazy if you try to go back!

hahaha. yes, i currently am running dual monitors and love it. I have so much desktop space! Gaming really isn't really enhanced that much by a second monitor, but i do put my temp readouts and buddy list on the second monitor while i game. Folding console also sits there.

but i do put my temp readouts and buddy list on the second monitor

What prog u use? i have MBM 5 and have troubles getting it to work on my left monitor. My right one is my main. Only thing i have yet to perfect is litestep.

This has inspred me to dig out the old 14" monitor and get my dual monitor setup going again. I went back to single as I loved the desk space - if only I could afford some TFT's after buying this Xeon stuff : /

I have considered going back, but just can't.

2 things I don't like about my dual MPX board right now: Low FSB speed (133 just doesn't cut it anymore,) and only 4x AGP. Dual unlocked AMD Barton XP monsters would be unbeaten if these two things were addressed because you would have a powerful workhorse that could also game with the best of them.

Dual opteron boards are the solution to this, but too pricey for me right now. I guess you can't have it all and be cheap too! :D

I've always been a fan of Uniprocessor systems that are highly overclocked.

But ever since I built a dually server, I've become hooked! I can't go back! As long as I have more than 1 system, at least one of them will always be a dually. Paired with a high-speed SCSI I/O system, they make kick *** servers and workstations for just about any use :)

I have 3 duallies now. Even my old PPro200 does very decent on office apps using NT4 WS. But my dual Xeon is far faster in eveything. I can run several apps and still not affect my FAH clients very much.

I think though I'll go dual core in the future and build small SFF or mATX systems from now on. The midtower ATX boxes are just too large and loud. Use more electrical power too.

I dont think im even gonna be building any more single proc rigs for myself. Duals are so much smoother, harder to crash, and use less electricity compared to 2 singles. The performance hit from gaming is not even noticable so i think all the crap duals get from a gaming point of view is just pointess. They are so nice for multitasking. render a DVD, burn a DVD, and listen to music at same time. yeah, once you build your first,, there is no going back :D

You can always convert your uniprocessor mobo to dual core chip and have the best of both worlds.

hmm, gaming with dual monitors is kinda poor. . . i have to switch to single screen when i play ut2k4, or else i can see noticible lag. that said, i want to build an opteron 14x system, then upgrade it to dual core later. anyone have any thoughts on this?

the only thing about that is that there are few good boards for the one way opterons and they don't have any real pci/agp locks last time i checked.

maybe i will wait some more. i would like to go with a single opteron for now, there is no way i can afford dual opterons at this point.

Back