• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED new 4170, need ID help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just got my new 4170 can you help me ID this cpu.
look at how cpuz id's it.
what does the 'es' mean?

sorry I had my thinking cap on the floor Mr. Trents.

solved by updating cpu-z at the cpu-z web site not the asus web site.

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Can you show us a pic? Is there supposed to be an attachment, _______?

Last edited:
It means it's Extra Special :p Sorry I had to. Sorry Caddie no idea but I can't wait to see this CPU get tortured.

kripes!!!!! me nor cpu-z can figure out what they sent me but 5.0 at these temps right out of the box!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• cpuz 2.JPG
    cpuz 2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 78
Seriously, I think it means "Engineering Sample". Ones that were not released to the retail public because they were prototypes in development stages. Gray market stuff.

Last edited:
open your cpuz and compare, i show no ht link nor cpu/nb speeds.
and look at the id line and the spec line.

Attachments

• all tabs cpuz.JPG
    all tabs cpuz.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 84
Where did you get this thing from _____? Those engineering samples can be a gold mine for overclockers (especially, extreme overclockers) but can be kind of unstable is my understanding. Supposedly, they are often able to tolerate considerably higher voltages than their more refined retail progeny.

Last edited:
I made a swap deal with beepbeep2, this processor came new in the box from amazon.
part#fd4170frgubox.
it is a pib.

Dear Mr. Trents,
please edit out the names you have used in this thread or i will be forced to reveal to all who read this that you are not fabio living large in malibu but, are in fact his much smaller brother,Loui, living not so large in lodi and just trolling for hot chicks from modesto.

Done.

Dear Mr. Trents,
please edit out the names you have used in this thread or i will be forced to reveal to all who read this that you are not fabio living large in malibu but, are in fact his much smaller brother living not so large in lodi and just trolling for hot chicks from modesto.

lmao too funny!

hey but yes seems u have a nice little chip there ide hang on to it f the rma. u got water on it? if not ide definatly get some u might get 6g if ure lucky.

trents, lets have a laugh.
i have it on water, but i have a secret setup i am installing into my case with the sabertooth and that board it just a touch better than my chv it seams.
I have the 4170 at 5.2 right now and we will see where the temps go over the next hour or two.

the pump is secret
the waterblock......secret
the secret coolant is............secret
the rad is ...secret
the 18 fans are 120x38x 6000rpm and............secret

and the all copper, hand fitted and bent 3/4 tubing is secret as well.

Last edited:
trents, lets have a laugh.
i have it on water, but i have a secret setup i am installing into my case with the sabertooth and that board it just a touch better than my chv it seams.
I have the 4170 at 5.2 right now and we will see where the temps go over the next hour or two.

the pump is secret
the waterblock......secret
the secret coolant is............secret
the rad is ...secret
the 18 fans are 120x38x 6000rpm and............secret

and the all copper, hand fitted and bent 3/4 tubing is secret as well.

hell ya sounds sweet guess ima break out my old ice water set up with swiftec blocks for cpu and gpu, for my 8350 next weeks when i get. i have an open loop setup were i use a 1 gallon tea pitcher a a resevior, fill that pupy with ice have to be carefull of condensation cant do it for about 15-20 min at a time but gives good results! i was the first to break 6k in 3dmark 2003 on a 4 piped card fx5700 ultra at @800mhz stock clocks 400mhz beating alot of stock 8 piped cards at the time. atical on ocs oldies but goodies voltage mods :)

Last edited:
Yeah if you want the rat stuffz mR. C_D...get an updated version of CPUz and not the version 1.57. Hehehe.

Secret_RGone....ster.

translated from the original dialect: "rat stuffz" means "right stuff" for those of you who haven't spent time down there.

so, along with the secret stuff i have to get the updated stuff?
Rgone, Trents and I all live in places where or minds mold over rather quickly....

so, along with the secret stuff i have to get the updated stuff?
Rgone, Trents and I all live in places where or minds mold over rather quickly....

And I have the additional problem of not enough ultra violet to kill the mold.

Back