• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD rig to overclock an unlocked 960T w/ too many questions!!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Frankly, I think the original questions to this thread has already been answered for the most part. Granted, I've sort of trailed off into overclocking a little while back ago so I'll wrap this up with this:

Thank you all for your patience and answers to my questions. I got what I needed to know about the entire process.

All there is left for me to do is to stabilize my final OC, which I believe deserves its own separate thread for organizational purposes...

Summer weather is plainly a hot bummer. We have had a number of users from Eastern countries posting lately and when they want to overclock...well it is hot there and room temps are a deal greater than for many of us in the Usa.

All you can do is to balance your wish for speed with a max temp you can live with. That temp is governed by room temp and goodness of cpu cooler and air flow in the case itself and with voltage to the cpu to reach X speed.

You can add voltage to the cpu for more speed if you can keep temps below about 62c to 65c since you are not reading core temps with that now unlocked 960T zosma core cpu. You are reading the temp of the lower part of the cpu. Unlocking kills the Core Temp from the cpu. So if the temp you are getting in HWMonitor is somewhere between 62 and 65c AND the system passes as much prime 95 blend as you intend to run...then rock on.

There is only one other thing I might suggest and is this:

1. Set all ancillary speeds back to default speeds for that processor. You have been pushing other bus speeds besides just the cpu speed.

2. When they are set back to default take the multiplier you have been using and reduce it by 0.5. Then go and raise the FSB/CPU frequency to 205 up from 200 and see if that does not help by letting you use a little less Vcore. "Some" report using a mixture of a little FSB clock with a little less multiplier clock has reduced the amount of Vcore they must use and thus there is a reduction in temps.

As a for instance if you had been running 16 x 200 =s 3200Mhz.
So you drop to 15.5 x 205 =s 3177.75 Mhz or nearly the same BUT you might be able to get stable at a lower Vcore. We don't mention this much because most are having trouble with the simple stuff like multiplier O'clocking which is mighty simple.

Raising the FSB like that will also raise ram speed, NB speed and everything except PCIe buss speed, thus I suggested that return to defaults on all bus speeds except the cpu itself. You can try this as a tweak to get a slightly lower Vcore and thus a little less temp in your hot environment. Good luck man. RGone...ster .

PS: I suggested 200 moved to 205 since most any ram and the other busses take that with ease. You might be able to raise 207, 208 or somewhere along in there and the ram and other busses not got too too far awry. End PS.

Summer weather is plainly a hot bummer. We have had a number of users from Eastern countries posting lately and when they want to overclock...well it is hot there and room temps are a deal greater than for many of us in the Usa.

All you can do is to balance your wish for speed with a max temp you can live with. That temp is governed by room temp and goodness of cpu cooler and air flow in the case itself and with voltage to the cpu to reach X speed.

You can add voltage to the cpu for more speed if you can keep temps below about 62c to 65c since you are not reading core temps with that now unlocked 960T zosma core cpu. You are reading the temp of the lower part of the cpu. Unlocking kills the Core Temp from the cpu. So if the temp you are getting in HWMonitor is somewhere between 62 and 65c AND the system passes as much prime 95 blend as you intend to run...then rock on.

There is only one other thing I might suggest and is this:

1. Set all ancillary speeds back to default speeds for that processor. You have been pushing other bus speeds besides just the cpu speed.

2. When they are set back to default take the multiplier you have been using and reduce it by 0.5. Then go and raise the FSB/CPU frequency to 205 up from 200 and see if that does not help by letting you use a little less Vcore. "Some" report using a mixture of a little FSB clock with a little less multiplier clock has reduced the amount of Vcore they must use and thus there is a reduction in temps.

As a for instance if you had been running 16 x 200 =s 3200Mhz.
So you drop to 15.5 x 205 =s 3177.75 Mhz or nearly the same BUT you might be able to get stable at a lower Vcore. We don't mention this much because most are having trouble with the simple stuff like multiplier O'clocking which is mighty simple.

Raising the FSB like that will also raise ram speed, NB speed and everything except PCIe buss speed, thus I suggested that return to defaults on all bus speeds except the cpu itself. You can try this as a tweak to get a slightly lower Vcore and thus a little less temp in your hot environment. Good luck man. RGone...ster .

PS: I suggested 200 moved to 205 since most any ram and the other busses take that with ease. You might be able to raise 207, 208 or somewhere along in there and the ram and other busses not got too too far awry. End PS.
Thanks I'll let you know in my next thread and link the reply quote to your post here.

Stay tuned....

Back