• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build and All that is related.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK parts are ready to go get dropped off at UPS tomorrow, and Lyoko is back together and running, (While she is old, she is reliable)... I'm also gonna get a new Power supply, just in case .. I'm tired and just want this computer to run ...

OK parts are ready to go get dropped off at UPS tomorrow, and Lyoko is back together and running, (While she is old, she is reliable)... I'm also gonna get a new Power supply, just in case .. I'm tired and just want this computer to run ...

Why don't you just use your new parts with your old GPU and ignore your P55 parts for now? That way you'd have a functioning Z97 system. When you get the new card you can just do a quick swap. No need to reinstall windows or anything.

I seriously doubt that there was anything wrong with the PSU. You said the system powered up, installed windows, worked fine with the 560. No reason at all to think the PSU is faulty. But if it makes you feel better to exchange the PSU all power to you.

Hope this works out. I feel your frustration.

Main reason why is without the hard drive, all I have is the 256gb SSD.... Which limits being able to install much, also, I can't set any kind of OC without the Noctua, at least, Lyoko runs 100% so I can play some games and stuff while I wait for parts. I am making a run to Best Buy today, and if I find a cheap HD I could pick it up as a extra drive, I won't mark that off of the list of possibilities, lol

Last edited:
OK so after a trip to BestBuy i got a new Hard drive ... got a 3TB Seagate for alot less that what i paid for the 4TB WD ... so I'm on the phone with Newegg to get credit for the HD and to yell at them again for lying to me ... they told me last night they upgraded me to overnight ... only to find out when i dropped the package off it was Ground .. so i'm going to be down a video card for a few weeks ...

OK so after a trip to BestBuy i got a new Hard drive ... got a 3TB Seagate for alot less that what i paid for the 4TB WD ... so I'm on the phone with Newegg to get credit for the HD and to yell at them again for lying to me ... they told me last night they upgraded me to overnight ... only to find out when i dropped the package off it was Ground .. so i'm going to be down a video card for a few weeks ...

Seagate drives are cheaper than most WD drives. They also have a higher failure rate. I'm lucky in that I don't ever have to deal with these online retailers if I don't want to. I have Canada Computers, NCIX, Tiger Direct and Factory Direct stores all over my city. So if I get a bad part it's just a 10 minute drive to exchange it. I've only ever ordered one computer part online- a Xonar STX soundcard. I'm going to have to order an AM1 board next month too as the one I got for my mom's PC is acting up.

Wow sorry to hear about your RMA parts. I guess i lucked out. I got everything at our local Frys. It was a little more expensive, but it was alot more fun picking everything out by hand. Hope it goes well for ya!

I've seen the way most US tech stores are layed out. You just grab what you want off the shelf, take it up to the cash and buy it. In Canada, tech stores are much more anal retentive. I usually shop at Canada Computers, and apart from the cheap stuff, everything expensive is behind the counter. And there's only 2 guys behind the counter. On a busy day the line-up to get parts can be 10 people long. I have to wait 20 minutes to say "I need a G3258 and a Z97 Anniversary and the 2X4 c9 1600 G skill". I could have picked those parts off the shelf myself in 2 minutes. Ridiculous. And the cases are in the back. Why, oh why are the cases in the back? Why do I have to ask a guy to go get me a 200R? The cases are like the BIGGEST items in the whole store. Am I going to put a full tower case under my shirt and walk out undetected? Come on...

But at least I don't have to buy everything from Newegg.

I've seen the way most US tech stores are layed out. You just grab what you want off the shelf, take it up to the cash and buy it. In Canada, tech stores are much more anal retentive. I usually shop at Canada Computers, and apart from the cheap stuff, everything expensive is behind the counter. And there's only 2 guys behind the counter. On a busy day the line-up to get parts can be 10 people long. I have to wait 20 minutes to say "I need a G3258 and a Z97 Anniversary and the 2X4 c9 1600 G skill". I could have picked those parts off the shelf myself in 2 minutes. Ridiculous. And the cases are in the back. Why, oh why are the cases in the back? Why do I have to ask a guy to go get me a 200R? The cases are like the BIGGEST items in the whole store. Am I going to put a full tower case under my shirt and walk out undetected? Come on...

But at least I don't have to buy everything from Newegg.

Only things i couldnt actually touch before buying was the CPU, Ram, and windows. I went kinda late at night so i was really the only one there buying alot. Im very glad i went actually looked at cases though. The one i picked out online, i actually ended up hating in person.

Seagate drives are cheaper than most WD drives. They also have a higher failure rate.

That used to be true but I think Seagate has gotten their firmware issues behind them. I don 't think there's any appreciable difference these days between the two products. I like the slime design of Seagate drives. I will use either.

That used to be true but I think Seagate has gotten their firmware issues behind them. I don 't think there's any appreciable difference these days between the two products. I like the slime design of Seagate drives. I will use either.

Latest report from BackBlaze showed one model in the 40% failure rate.
That's as of Q4 2014.

Finally, good news!! I finally got a little Gaming in last night, played some Final Fastasy XIV and the hottest I got to with the stock CPU cooler was 43C so I think it was a fairly successful run. Noctua is supposed to be delivered Tuesday so it be*interesting to see how much of a temp drop I actually get with the Noctua VS stock Intel cooler

Finally, good news!! I finally got a little Gaming in last night, played some Final Fastasy XIV and the hottest I got to with the stock CPU cooler was 43C so I think it was a fairly successful run. Noctua is supposed to be delivered Tuesday so it be*interesting to see how much of a temp drop I actually get with the Noctua VS stock Intel cooler

The fact that you only got to 43 tells me that FF XIV is not CPU intensive at all :p

So far I'm loving it. I will be happier once the rest of my parts get here and I can get the 970 in it lol, and get the Noctua, so I can get Lyoko back up and running as well

So far I'm loving it. I will be happier once the rest of my parts get here and I can get the 970 in it lol, and get the Noctua, so I can get Lyoko back up and running as well

I get so confused by all these computer names... Good thing that you're enjoying your new hardware. I hope your replacement graphics card is problem free.

I really hope so too.

Names are not that confusing 😕

Lyoko is the P55
Gengar is the Z97
Rei is my Laptop.. Lol

See not hard

Names are in the signature, I follow just fine.

You'll love having that 970, they're awesome technology

yeah, I'm sure, It'll also be interesting to see the difference between the 560 and the 970 considering they are both will have run on the same system

Back