• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for 1440p gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, good idea to do a "breadboard" test out of the case, as we say.

Start with cpu then try to boot and check for memory error then install memory then gpu then m.2? It's been a while since I've done a build

No, I would install the CPU (and cooling), RAM and m.2 all at once. If there are problems start eliminating. What version of Windows 10 will you be installing?

Edit: When installing Windows 10 you have the option of setting up a Microsoft account or a "local" machine account. I prefer the latter but the option is in the fine print of the install process and a lot of people aren't aware of the option. I just don't like to have to check with big brother Microsoft before I can sign into my computer.

Last edited:
Okay, install those three you mentioned and wait on the gpu then listen for post codes? I'll be installing Windows 10 pro from a flash drive

Check my last post as I added to it.

No, put the GPU in as well. connect all the pieces just as you would do if putting it into a case. No point in look for trouble when there probably will be none. If you run into an issue then work backwards by removing nonessentials one at a time. But CPU and cooler, RAM, system drive, GPU are the essentials.

One thing, by default your RAM will not initially run at it's rated speed. It will run at the 2133 or 2400 which is the platform baseline memory frequency. After installing Windows you will need to go into bios and choose the XMP (aka, AXMP) RAM frequency setting.

After booting into Windows the first time, the first thing I would do would be to manually check for Windows 10 updates. There likely will be a bunch of them and keep checking after each round. Don't trust the message, "Your system is up to date". Often there are still more updates when it says that. Get that out of the way because otherwise your system will be trying to do that in the background when you are trying to work on other things.

Okay I can get all that together. I'll not set up the account during the initial install but I'll likely need to once I get everything updated. I'll be using Game Pass on the system to add value to that. I already use Game Pass Ultimate on my XBox.

If you do use the Microsoft account for those other things then you might as well just set the machine up with a Microsoft account rather than a local account. But let me caution you on this one potential problem that I have encountered in my customer data base. Namely, if you convert your Microsoft account sign in password to a PIN, don't lose track of the original password. The PIN will not substitute for the password in all Windows scenarios.

Well the internals showed up today and everything is installed and Windows is installed. The case should be here tomorrow so I can put everything in the case. I didn't install the AIO yet. Figure I should wait and get everything in the case.

Yeah. I'm using the stock cooler. Didn't turn it on at all without it. Everything seems to be working fine. Have to go in and adjust memory timings and such. I probably shouldn't run Prime 95 until after I get the AIO working

Duh! It didn't occur to me that if you got Windows installed you had already fired up the system. Glad you didn't run into any issues out of the box.

Thanks and I'm glad no issues either. Running Heaven right now. Just checking stability. Temps look okay

Heaven will exercise the GPU but not the CPU. It's just about totally a GPU test.

The Realbench stress test will exercise GPU, CPU and RAM at the same time. However, it won't show temps on an AMD CPU so at the same time have open HWInfo64 to check CPU and mosfet temps.

Okay cool. I'll download Realbench. I had to go into BIOS and lower the score. It was running at 1.45 on auto. Glad I caught that. Rebooted fine to Windows at 1.25

Okay. Ran Realbench and got a system score of 156748. CPU temp maxed out at 70C. The voltage still ramped up to 1.45. I'm going to have to fix that again somehow. I know I saved and exited BIOS...

Realbench has a benchmark and it also has a stress test. Looks like you ran the benchmark. Click on the other tab to do the stress test and also set the amount of RAM to use and the time for the stress test to run. I usually set it to 8gb.

Lower the score? What is it that was set to 1.45 on auto that you set to 1.25?

Realbench has a benchmark and it also has a stress test. Looks like you ran the benchmark. Click on the other tab to do the stress test and also set the amount of RAM to use and the time for the stress test to run. I usually set it to 8gb.

Lower the score? What is it that was set to 1.45 on auto that you set to 1.25?

The vcore in BIOS. On auto it was ramping up to 1.45-1.5v. Turns out that 1.25 wasn't stable so I bumped it up to 1.3v. XMP is working just fine though and have the RAM at 16,16,16,36,52,1T at 1.35v

If you're going to leave the multiplier on automatic it's okay to let the voltage do that. You could try a -0.05v offset as lower temps will improve clock speed.

If you're going to manually overclock and set the multiplier, you probably don't want to go much over 1.3v.

Okay cool. I was worried about the voltage going so high. Just leave the voltages at auto then? Again, thanks for the help!

If he is building this for gaming then he only needs a 9600k. A 9700k paired with a 2070 is a complete waste of money. Even paired with an overclocked 1080Ti or 2080 it's still not the limiting factor. The cost difference between the 9600k and 9700k is substantial but the performance for gaming is basicaly the same. He would get far more out of getting a slightly cheaper motherboard and put the extra money from the mobo savings and 9700k savings toward a 2080 which would give him way more performance. A 2070 absolutely will not power 1440p at 144 Hz if you want to max out the settings. Even a 1080Ti would struggle with that in most titles. The only card that can reasonably do that is a 2080Ti if you want to keep the settings on max. So since he will be highly GPU bound, the best bet for his money is in getting a 2080 over a 2070.

Back