• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer, Suggestions Needed....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Windows, it will run with like 3-3.2Gigs out of the 4Gigs. The rest is addressed to PCI space. Really nothing can be done about it that, as I stated before I was waiting for Vista as in which if I get everything to run nice and smoothly will be an easy transision for me, not worrying about will this ram actually OC now.

Ya the 4 sticks I saw a few people running them on the fourms, but didn't see a thread about it yet. Hey if people are running them I know its easily possible, and one was actually running quiet fast I saw rest didn't have info. As always its voltage and timings :). My last Intel rig I just had 1gig of ram in it then got some more (slower ram even and different type as well), suprisingly it ran better (it was BH5 and I didn't know it). Both OC'ed perfectly to where I was sitting so I had no problem with 4 sticks.

Also.... now to find the bios's for the mobo. Of coruse rattle was helping me last night and now hes on a cruise, as he has the same board as I'm getting, cpu and ram (just 1 kit though).

Well an overview of what I all ordered.

3x 320Gig Seagate Perpendicular Drives (I just orderd the 3rd said bah I'll want it anyways in a few months)
2x 2x1Gig G.Skill PC-6400 Kits
E6600 Retail
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP
Thermalright 120-Ultra

Yup think that covers it :)

I was going with 2 HDDs, but then started thinking. I know I use ~140gig on my C drive all the time (my programs, games, os ya thats about it). Then the second drive I store my goodies on, weather its work im working on or data, video's, etc. The way I'm splitting up the HDD's is all Raid 0, but the first 50Gigs on each drive (150Gig Total) would be my Primary C drive. The rest will be Raid 0 also using the rest of the drive 270Gig on each (810Gig).

Well 810Gigs well damn thats alot of space :) I'm sure I can use it a little more smartly. Would it be possible out of the 3 Drives that I have to do something like this with the remainder 270Gigs of each drive...

Option 1) Use 2 of the Drives and put that 270Gig into Raid 1 and have a spare 270Gig to use for a misc drive?
Option 2) Use say 150-200Gigs from the 3 Drives in Raid 0 and have the Remainding 20-70Gigs from each drive its own partition as well?

Just wondering if it could be done because someone said above that you can only have 2 Volumes, was just wondering if that was 2 Raid Volumes or 2 Volumes per drive period.

MS said:
modify the Boot.ini file, and then add the /3GB and the /USERVA=3030 parameters to the startup line, as in the following example:

Code:
[Boot Loader]  
Timeout=30 
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT 

[Operating Systems] 
 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows Server 2003" /fastdetect /3GB  /USERVA=3030

code with standard timeout and partition entries, your's may be different (my timeout is 3 instead of 30 for instance) that and thats a win 2K3 server boot.ini file so the WINNT would be of that varity ;)

The /3GB swich gives your applications the abiltiy to use 3Gb's of ram in windows they are limitied to 2Gb's without it.
1GB is left for the system with the swich inabled.
You should see all 4Gb in windows with the switch inabled.

Back