• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New DVD-ROM drive...Which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I'm in need of a new DVD-ROM drive to replace the NEC one I have in my comp at the moment. This NEC DV-5800A is Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33, and my DVD-RW drive is an Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra66. I noticed problems when burning audio CDs on the DVD-RW drive (Nero 6 was giving me an "communication error" when burning) and I had to set the DVD-RW drive to be Ultra33 as well, this solved the problem.

But I fear this isn't letting me use the DVD-RW drive to it's full capabilities, so I'm wanting a new DVD-ROM drive that is Ultra66, so I can run both drives at the same DMA speeds.

I tried searching newegg and looking up the DMA stuff about them offsite of newegg, but I was getting no where. Does anyone know of a good DVD-ROM drive that is Ultra66 and low in price?

~C.P.

Most optical drives are still 33MB/s, as there isn't a need for more speed than this presently on optical drives. And unless my memory is failing me, UDMA2 is the 33MB/s spec, UDMA66 not being UDMA2.

Last edited:
larva said:
Most optical drives are still 33MB/s, as there isn't a need for more speed than this presently on optical drives. And unless my memory is failing me, UDMA2 is the 33MB/s spec, UDMA66 not being UDMA2.

I think your memory is in fine shape. UDMA mode2 is the 33.3 spec, the 66.6 spec is UDMA mode4 and requires the 80 conductor cable to operate properly at that speed. I'd say if your burner is being fed data as fast as it requires it whilst burning at top speeds ignore the spec differences. 33MB/s peak should be plenty fast enough anyway.

Well no matter what speed I burn at, 1x even, it still tells me communication error until I switch it back over to Ultra33.

I could care less about a new DVD-RW drive, this one works fine. It's just that it doesn't like being on the same cable as my DVD-ROM drive.

Could you put one as a slave on your primary channel and the other as the secondary master? Just a thought. Otherwise, I really wouldn't worry about it. Even 16x DVD is still only 21.6 MB/Sec, well below the 33 MB/sec capabilities of UDMA-2.

Mind you, I still would like to see what brand of DVDROM everyone recommends or if there's really much of a difference. The drive in one of the kids computers was a liteon I'd picked up used at a computer show. It's fubared it seems, won't read any DVDs hardly anymore. It takes several tries if it does and god forbid you pause the movie. So I've got to trash it and replace it.

Oh, and cheap is the name of the game here. Or rather I should probably say inexpensive. Directron has some colored ones that I might look at. Artecs I believe they are.

I really don't want to put any optical drives on my master channel cause I run both my 80GIG drives off that (same model and size), and I want to keep it as fast as it is already. I'm still looking around, but I'm also waiting for some useful info to be posted here ;)

Back