• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New LCS - Please need feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frysh

I want to build a new rig that will be water cooled and compact enough for carrying around. I use my PC mainly for gaming and multimedia.
This is an investment for me so i want to make sure that this system will last a good 5 years, just like my previous rig.
So I'd truly appreciate anyone's inputs/advices/recommendations in making the right choices in the configuration.

For the case, I wanna go with Mountain Mods: U2-UFO-CYO with handles

Here is what I'm thinking for the system:
- 1x Intel Core i7-3930K 3.8Ghz Turbo LGA 2011 six-core
- 1x ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79
- 1x Samsung 256GB SATA III MLC internal SSD
- 2x G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x4GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
- 1x XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
- 1x ENERMAX MAXREVO Series 1350W

For the LCS (2 loops), here is what I came up with:
- 1x Swiftech Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Standalone Res w/ MCP35X PWM
- 2x XSPC RX360 rev. 2
- 1x Koolance CPU-370 water block
- 1x Koolance VID-AR797 water block
- 1x Koolance MB-ASSTX79 Water Block (ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard)
- 12x Bitspower G 1/4" thread 90 degree rotary fitting adapter
- 6x Delta 120x38 mm Extreme speed fan 120CFM
- 4x Delta 120x25mm Fan 82.7 CFM
- 8x Panaflo 120x38mm w/ RPM monitoring
- 1x Lamptron FC touch 30W / 6 channel

Please let me know what y'all think.
Looking forward to your PMs.

Cheers-

Okay.

Only need one loop for CPU/GPU. No need to cool the mobo, they don't get hot, it adds restriction to the loop.

Swiftech 35x pump with the new res?

Don't need fans like the Delta 38mm fan or any of them, goodness.

Get Gentle Typhoon AP-15s 1850 RPM for everything or something like that. Two 360 rads is plenty of cooling with the fans at 1000 RPM. Quiet too.

Watercooling part looks pretty good!

Don't need a massive CPU like that possibly, then you don't need that X79 mobo. Your only getting 8GB or ram, no need for the X79.

And an 850W quality PSU is more than enough even if you go Xfire later.

Many thanks for your valuable feedback Conumdrum.
For the RAM, i'll be having 16gb total...2x2x4gb...sorry if it wasnt clear on my list.
I'll definitely check out the GT fans.
I forgot to mention that I intend to add/sli another GPU once I save some more $.
I didnt understand your question about the swiftech pump and the res.
Thanks again.

Yea, you got the new res/pump from Swiftech. Making sure. You don't need the dual pump one, one pump is enough. Dual loops needs two pumps/seperate resses etc.

You don't need that, you want one big loop, it will be great like that.

Yh not getting the dual...only the single pump one...though you have the option of adding a pump later on...but dont see the need for it.
I'll go for 1 big loop instead of 2...it'll save me a few bux :)

And drop the Mobo blocks.

Why do you need that CPU? You doing number crunching or something where you NEED that CPU?

For gaming/mulitmedia the 3570K is enough, and then you can save another few $100 on a good 77 mobo, not a 79. 16GB won't do anything to make it faster too.

Your building a standard gaming/media PC. We post 2-5 times a week here of solutions that peeps buy all the time and they have a great system. Maybe read some posts in the general build forum before you decide.

The WC looks great except for the fannages.

And don't forget Caselabs for a monster case too. I always wanted one, but I like a tech station for my monster in my sig. Getting old tho.

For the fannage and after some reading on GT fans, i'll definitely go with them.
I will also get rid of MB water cooling.
Regarding the CPU/MoBo choice, i wanted to go with the some of the latest to make sure my system will last a solid 5 years as PC technology evolves extremely fast.
But then again, there isnt much difference between my first choice and your suggestion.
I also definitely need to save some $$$.
I looked at caselabs...but prefered mountainmods as they look more portable.
Definitely need to go look around the forum to see what ppl are doing.
Thanks again for all your advices/feedback.

Back