• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new loop- slightly original

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The rad is absolutely needed. Without it cpu temps will start to rise dramatically after 10 minutes. My thinking with submerging the rad is that it would force the rad to work more efficiently as both a heatsink and heat exchanger. Also I'm using straight water; you could probably drink the stuff- is that bad?
The serious limitations I have found with this rad is its high fin density. While this may seem counter intuitive especially as traditional wisdom hold that more surface area=better performance the fin density of this rad is such that low pressure case fans cannot push air through the fin. Ideally i would have a high powered and high pressure fan to use with this rad but the noise produced would be deathning in such a set up.

I threw about 5 trays of ice cubes into the drawer of water and my temps dropped to load at 28c.But they melted in like 5 minutes so it was a short lived foray into extreme cooling lol. isn't it impossible for water to freeze simply by throwing in ice cubes into(Not that i presume to be well acquainted with the laws of physics but i did see a episode of magic school bus that implied the above fact)
I see a lot of possibility for this setup if i was to do it well. I'm going to replace the rad and somehow upgrading the drawer. Integrate an aquarium into the loop and show off the setup or hide everything.

Yes. He needs to take that radiator out of the coolant. If it's a leaky rad, it's useless, he can buy a new heatrcore for cheap.

He can also patch the leak "for cheap". For much less and he doesn't have to waste a perfectly good heatercore. Drinking water is fine but I remember a while ago someone posted on procooling that after three years the tap water had worn a hole into his block. Use distilled water and a bit of antifreeze (to protect the radiator)

tried stop leak didn't work. So the 77' bonneville heat core seems to be the consensus. Anyone have a better idea something bigger better faster and not made by ford?

First off, if the radiator is taken out of the tub then air will start getting into the system - not good. The rad, at least the hole that's leaking, needs to remain submerged.
Using a wire or something to keep the rad upright would help air flow and cooling.

Second, AFAIK there isn't a cheaper heater core on the market. The 2-302 heater core has been used by many cars over the years and is very cheap ($20) considering the cost of most heater cores.

Third, the Bonneville is a Pontiac - that's GM not Ford. But at this point it's not being built by either of them ... ;)

the 2-302 is the most widely used HC for water cooling. It's big, it's beefy, and it will compete with and even beat the pre fabbed rads of roughly the same size.

You put a shroud on it, with two good 120mm fans, and it's a beast of a cooler.

Scroll up to one of my earlier posts for a link to pretty much every Feldco heat core there is. You don't HAVE to use the 2-302, but it's probably the best choice.

If you put a desk fan blowing on the water, then this would make sense as the evaporation would take hear with it. Otherwise, it makes sense that it would just get hotter and hotter. The leak issue does need to be fixed however one way or another. You would also have to do something to make sure you don't have algae problems in the tub water.

I am very interested in doing this, but I have a question, to get temps down, couldn't I, theoretically, use an aquarium air pump to decrease the water temp by keeping the water moving.
Also, could someone point me to the direction of a good, cheap aquarium pump?

Last edited:
I thought about using an air pump when i was in the pet store looking at snakes but i thought of something even better. Why not buy a small pump(they had some starting at 15 dollars that moved 90gph) and have a loop running through the rad only than the main pump doing the cpu only. all loops come together in the pool. Basically you reduce hydrofriction(?) in the cpu loop but still allow the water to cool via the rad loop.
I guess i could add some of those algea eating things to my loop to keep the algea down. lol. But seriously a few fish in a tank- style and fuction
included a pic of a better set up set up

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Back