• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new members slowing down for top 10 folding teams

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Any opinions on why every team in the top 10 is getting a fewer number of new members?

Every top 10 team is in the red for new members.

My guess is also the economy. For most, folding/crunching is a fun little extra and one of the first things to get cut in a money crunch.

we have thousands of retired members... if we could just get even 10% of those guys back we'd be #1.

Comparing this contest to the contest back in april, we don't have as many new people signing up for it... The statistics are starting to show that this contest is keeping the regulars engaged but new folders are only trickling in...

I think it may be the economic times have finally caught up with some of us. the summer power bills with these i7 computers and sli setups probably caused some shock to the wallet.

Things are getting really cold now and I expect some people are just a little slow joining back up after taking summer off.

I have a couple ideas in the works for how to get more members (besides the contest and will be sharing those ideas with the team soon).

I would guess the economy also, a lot of people out of work and trying to save a few bucks. I'm new to the team and I've racked up nearly 75,000 points so far! My setup is in the cellar so for me to offset the cost of folding I shut of my electric heater I have down there and just use my computer as a main source of heat, works great! :D

I don't feel all that bad on the power end.I'm not running the type of gear most you guys are but with all my rigs my bill this month was only $86.00 I like the cold my heat never goes above 65º.

Although I'm sure that with the power restraints of the newer breeds I'd have quite a bit higher of a bill.

Yeah this winter Ive shut off the heat to my computer room. It stays warmer than the rest of the house lol.

The new i7 rig should make it even more toasty.

Aside from economy, it's also holiday season. People travel a lot or enjoying the festivities. School are also out. Some only fold when in uni. to avail of free utility.

For gamers who occassionaly fold, they're probably enjoying their new HW and games.

There's also a couple of BOINC projects that favor ATI cards (MW@home and Collatz Conjecture). There's a spike in their production from Oct./Nov. to present. There might be a shift from F@H ATI users. Hopefully, we get them back when GPU3 ever comes out.

I think one big issue is the difficulty of installation. Just to help someone get everything running you darn near have to write a book. Reading one of the installation guides is daunting to a novice. Stanford should be shot for posting the Win SMP download without the current executable. So, just to get started you have to download the program then download the latest executable. Once we had the one click. ANybody could be folding in minutes. Now if you try to be competitive, run VMware, run the gpu client, it takes hours. That may change soon with SMP2.

Last edited:
I think one big issue is the difficulty of installation. Just to help someone get everything running you darn near have to write a book. Reading one of the installation guides is daunting to a novice. Stanford should be shot for posting the Win SMP download without the current executable. So, just to get started you have to download the program then download the latest executable. Once we had the one click. ANybody could be folding in minutes. Now if you try to be competetive, run VMware, run the gpu client, it takes hours. That may change soon with SMP2.

I can attest to this for sure! As you already know because you were one of the many people trying to help me get my setup going and it was not easy to say the least.

I think one big issue is the difficulty of installation. Just to help someone get everything running you darn near have to write a book. Reading one of the installation guides is daunting to a novice. Stanford should be shot for posting the Win SMP download without the current executable. So, just to get started you have to download the program then download the latest executable. Once we had the one click. ANybody could be folding in minutes. Now if you try to be competitive, run VMware, run the gpu client, it takes hours. That may change soon with SMP2.

I'd agree this plays a part. I installed on my T400, and was pretty surprised to be cranking out 200-400 point workunits. I'm guessing my install was garbage, the hardware isn't that bad so I would think I could get more output.

I haven't taken the time to figure out if it's normal or what.

I suspect some of them are doing BOINC things instead. It is a very easy install with no need for passworded windows accounts, VM stuff, or setting a bunch of things in the GPU's configuration file.
Stanford really needs to clean things up IMO, it's a mess as is.

Another of the annoyances with the Stanford install. If you download what is described as the SMP client and forget to manually add the -smp flag, it doesn't fold SMP WUs. You get the classic client WUs and run on one core.

I think ChasR hit it on the head more than the econ issues. There are to many clients and to many options. my stats have dropped and i haven't changed a thing. but it takes so much to test and check and reinstall and so on, for now I'm ok with only getting about 10k a day, when i used to get 30.

I suspect some of them are doing BOINC things instead. It is a very easy install with no need for passworded windows accounts, VM stuff, or setting a bunch of things in the GPU's configuration file.
Stanford really needs to clean things up IMO, it's a mess as is.

I agree, though I will say the GPU client has been pretty stable for me; but i only run one video card, pretty simple stuff.

But watch what you say about Stanford in here, some of the folding guys are pretty touchy about us Rosie/SETI guys trying to steal their cpu cycles with our superior clients. ;)

Superior user interface, yes. Superior client, no. And don't get me started about burning coal to look for little green men.;)

The SETI group are great, but their science is now passe. We know that there is way too much interstellar dust and etc., to get radio waves going through a large portion of the Milky Way. For other galaxies, we know the distances are simply too great - the signal degrades.

Back when SETI began, it seemed quite possible. Now that we have so much more knowledge of our galaxy, and space in general, we know it isn't possible to receive radio waves from the distances that would be needed.

SETI will always be remembered as the Grandfather of big DC projects, and the BOINC client is amazing.

Back when SETI began, it seemed quite possible. Now that we have so much more knowledge of our galaxy, and space in general, we know it isn't possible to receive radio waves from the distances that would be needed.

I don't run SETI,
but the possibility of contact,
no matter how remote,
is worth the coal.

Such confirmed contact
would be revolutionary to our world
and for that reason alone,
SETI deserves to exist.

:comp:

I don't run SETI,
but the possibility of contact,
no matter how remote,
is worth the coal.

Such confirmed contact
would be revolutionary to our world
and for that reason alone,
SETI deserves to exist.

I have run SETI, and it's a wonderful group of crunchers, no doubt about it. Have you read the explanation of their latest WU's, however? Honestly, I couldn't keep from laughing.

It isn't that it's REMOTE. It's that it's quite impossible for a radio signal to travel as we'd previously hoped, through the Milky Way. Way too much dust, etc. We've seen it now, and we've also measured it's effects via our satellites that have left our solar system.

When/if we have contact, it will be because the aliens have seen Earth through their telescopes, and have come here to check it out. Or, we have traveled to their world, to check their planet out.

The same thing could happen with FAH, at some point. If, for instance, DNA sequencing (or something like it), can be used to cure diseases of all types, then FAH would move into the backwater of scientific endeavor.

It isn't fair, and it certainly isn't as I'd like it to be, but that's how science moves ahead.

Back